• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lottery winners: public or anonymous?

Lottery winners: public or anonymous?

• Should be public, always.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Mini survey: Should a large jackpot lottery winner be required to have their name published, or should they be allowed to remain anonymous?

Mini survey: Should a large jackpot lottery winner be required to have their name published, or should they be allowed to remain anonymous?

I think it should be their choice. I'd imagine a lottery ticket could be filled out on the back with "The ABC Trust." And an attorney could present it on the behalf of the trust with a power of attorney. I'm not sure, but I don't see why not, since a power of attorney says "I am that person" -- (the designated trustee, who would be the winner.)

I don't remember seeing anything on the back of a lottery ticket that says, in effect, you agree that your win can be used in any promotional advertising...

If people win, say, $50,000, I think they just run to the lottery office to collect their money. If they wish to remain anonymous, they should retain an attorney to handle it for them. For the big wins? Millions? If they don't retain an attorney and financial consultant before collecting, they're fools.

Last edited:
I think it should be their choice. I'd imagine a lottery ticket could be filled out on the back with "The ABC Trust." And an attorney could present it on the behalf of the trust with a power of attorney. I'm not sure, but I don't see why not, since a power of attorney says "I am that person" -- (the designated trustee, who would be the winner.)

I don't remember seeing anything on the back of a lottery ticket that says, in effect, you agree that your win can be used in any promotional advertising...

If people win, say, $50,000, I think they just run to the lottery office to collect their money. If they wish to remain anonymous, they should retain an attorney to handle it for them. For the big wins? Millions? If they don't retain an attorney and financial consultant before collecting, they're fools.
Some states hold the opinion that openness and publicity helps to maintain the integrity of the lottery system. People see the winners and thus see that the payouts actually do get made. There is some logic to that, I accept, but to me it is not enough to override the privacy and safety concerns of the winners. Privacy and safety from multitudes of scam artists that will try to make off with their winnings. Nobody should be forced to deal with that (I reject the "if you don't like the rules, don't play" tripe) if they win.

Last edited:
it's my opinion that winners should definitely be allowed to remain anonymous.

Nobody should be forced to have their names publicly announced. Believe it or not, winners of big lotteries have got a host of problems in front of them, not the least of which are unscrupulous financial planners, friends, ex-friends, neighbors, and long-lost relatives, all with their hands out, not to mention scam artists and thugs willing to hold them at gunpoint to get their hands on the money.

Nobody should be forced to have their names publicly announced. Believe it or not, winners of big lotteries have got a host of problems in front of them, not the least of which are unscrupulous financial planners, friends, ex-friends, neighbors, and long-lost relatives, all with their hands out, not to mention scam artists and thugs willing to hold them at gunpoint to get their hands on the money.

Should be ex-"friends" and long-lost "relatives". :2razz:

Back
Top Bottom