• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rebels preparing to smuggle Ghaddafi’s chemical weapons into Syria via Turk

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Free Syrian Army (FSA) has now acquired chemical weapons from Libya, Reuter’s Khaled Oweis reports from Amman. It was previously thought that Ghaddafi’s weapons had been dismantled, however usage by Libyan rebels has proven otherwise. His stockpile is thought to contain mustard gas and sarin, two dangerous agents that can induce death or permanently disabilities along large areas.

This dangerous development occurs as public opinion seems to be turning against the rebels, due to attacks on Sunni tribal elders in Aleppo, a city that has been the stronghold of support for the government. The rebels earlier promised to turn the city into the "grave of the tribes” according to one rebel leader,

http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/...dafis-chemical-weapons-into-syria-via-turkey/

I should have put this in the blog section, my mistake.

The veracity of such claims are unclear, but if true they require serious attention. Turkey should be pressured into confiscating the weapons immediately and halting any attempt to get them into Syria. Chemical weapon use should not be condoned, especially considered that Assad has them as well and will likely retaliate in kind. The rebels should be compensated with conventional armaments, but it should be made clear the NBC weapons are off limits.

Side note: I originally saw the title as "Rebels preparing to smuggle Gandalf's...."

On a more serious note: If this is true, it doesn't bode well.

Side note: I originally saw the title as "Rebels preparing to smuggle Gandalf's...."

On a more serious note: If this is true, it doesn't bode well.

Actually they are not trying to smuggle them into Syria it's actually Mordor.

If true (or even credible) it will be interesting to gauge the worlds response.

There's no room for them there, silly! Syria's already full of Saddam's invisible WMD isn't it?

If true (or even credible) it will be interesting to gauge the worlds response.

I'm doubting it at this point. If they actually were, the govment probably wouldn't risk it. If it's a rebel group in Libya they must have been very well armed and ninjas because where these weapons are stored in Libya are pretty heavily defended and we would have heard about it.

Back
Top Bottom