• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wrong brand: UK athletes warned over headphones

TacticalEvilDan

Shankmasta Killa
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I knew the Olympics was sponsored up the yin-yang, but I hadn't realized the extent to which the games had been bought and sold:

British Olympic chiefs have clamped down on a bit of guerrilla marketing that saw the country's athletes sporting stylish — but non sponsor-brand — headphones at the games.

Many athletes use headphones to help keep focused before competitions and several have been photographed wearing the Beats by Dr. Dre brand.

The reason for their popularity? British Olympic officials say batches were shipped to hotels outside London where Team GB athletes were staying

Diver Tom Daley was seen on television wearing them before competing Monday and soccer player Jack Butland tweeted his support for the brand.

But no more. British Olympic Association spokesman Darryl Seibel said Thursday that officials have reminded team leaders of "the importance of protecting our corporate partners" and of rules against endorsing commercial products on Twitter.

Wrong brand: UK athletes warned over headphones | Product Design and Development

Its becoming pathetic all the advertisements. Its becoming less about the sports and more about money.

Yes, but I would say that the Olympic's crackdown on non-authorized merchandise to be far more silly. If anyone can be blamed for turning the Olympics into a cash-cow, it's the committee itself.

I think some of the newer sports have really ramped up ads. Skateboarders and snowboarders standing there boards propped up like they do at X-Games competitions. I think the skiers of old started it with their skis. With runners all you use to see is the little swoosh on the shoe.

Considering that a good chunk the money that funds the Games come from sponsors, I'd say its justified. Particularly if its in the sponsor contract.

I'm pretty sure we managed the Olympics just fine before the deep pockets showed up to the party. It isn't as if the games were born with the advent of corporate sponsorship.

The organisers actually had to confirm that spectators wearing Pepsi t-shirts would NOT be turned away from the Coke-sponsored stadia, as had been rumoured...

Back
Top Bottom