• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fighting Disclosure, Killing Democracy

Middleground

Lucky Beaver!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
To me, nothing is more significant than this. It's bad enough Congress is lobbied to death, but this is the final nail in the coffin of the once great republic. The government is no longer "for the people," so get used to it. Judging by the lack of interest in this development, it's easy to determine that what the Kardashians are doing this week is much more interesting and newsworthy. :roll:

Wake up, America.

Our politics took a nightmarish turn this week. Senate Republicans twice blocked a vote to require corporations, unions and obscure organizations hovering in the shadows to tell us who's putting up the millions and millions of dollars for all the propaganda assaulting the public during this political year.
The bill the Republicans killed was already a weak parody of its original intent. It wouldn't even go into effect until after the November auction when the buying and selling of the White House, Congress, state legislatures and courts will have been completed, and the dark money will have done its dirty work. By then a vast pall of secrecy will cover the tracks of the secret donors. The knife plunged into the heart of democracy will have been wiped clean of the fingerprints of those who wielded it. The public will not even know who owns title to our government.

Bill Moyers: WATCH: Fighting Disclosure, Killing Democracy

To me, nothing is more significant than this. It's bad enough Congress is lobbied to death, but this is the final nail in the coffin of the once great republic. The government is no longer "for the people," so get used to it. Judging by the lack of interest in this development, it's easy to determine that what the Kardashians are doing this week is much more interesting and newsworthy. :roll:

Wake up, America.

Bill Moyers: WATCH: Fighting Disclosure, Killing Democracy

I'm a registered Republican and southern conservative from way back. I believe in small government and people being responsible but I also believe in the Feds regulating mega-corps from raping society.

I didn't vote for Obama the first time because I thought he was full of it. I don't like the idea of government telling me how to live (smoke, eat, think, etc). But I sincerely believe the Obama's care about people and if I met Barack on the street he'd ask me if I'm alright, while Mitt would probably toss me his Mercedes keys and tell me to park his car. And that makes ALL the difference.

I'm a registered Republican and southern conservative from way back. I believe in small government and people being responsible but I also believe in the Feds regulating mega-corps from raping society.

I didn't vote for Obama the first time because I thought he was full of it. I don't like the idea of government telling me how to live (smoke, eat, think, etc). But I sincerely believe the Obama's care about people and if I met Barack on the street he'd ask me if I'm alright, while Mitt would probably toss me his Mercedes keys and tell me to park his car. And that makes ALL the difference.

I do agree with you that at least Obama is sincere. I get that, too. But as the role of President, he's obliged to cater to business and special interest. It's the way the system is set up that has slowly degenerated over time, I think. And now, with this blocked vote, it seems those with money to burn will have full power to run the show. Of course, in the shadows, too.

Back
Top Bottom