• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Team USA To Be Decked Out in Uniforms Made in China

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Team USA To Be Decked Out in Uniforms Made in China | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo! News <-- clicky

They are the pride of America - Team U.S.A. - and for the opening ceremonies of the Summer Olympics in London, they'll be proudly wearing red, white and blue, from beret to blazer.

The classic American style - shown in an image above - was crafted by designer Ralph Lauren.

But just how American is it?

When ABC News looked at the labels, it found "made in China."

Does it get any better than this?????????? :doh

Could be worse mate, your uniforms could have been designed by Stella McCartney...

it was "absolutely" possible that the athletes could have been outfitted in U.S.-made clothing. She said U.S. manufactures could have easily made the uniforms - and for less.

The sad thing is - there's nothing shocking about our team wearing clothing made in China.

However, that doesn't change the stupidity of it either.

One step closer to Firefly.

The sad thing is - there's nothing shocking about our team wearing clothing made in China.

However, that doesn't change the stupidity of it either.

The Chinese will be flying in on planes possibly invented in the US.

so what-our table tennis team will be using equipment made overseas-often in China or Japan
our tennis and badminton team's racquets are all made in China or Taiwan
the Shooting team's rifles are made in Germany (Anschutz) the shotgun team mainly Germany (Krieghoff) or Italy (Beretta-Vince Hancock-defending olympic champion or Perazzi). The air rifles are German made-Feinwerkbau or Anschutz or perhaps Swiss-Hammerli
our track team's shoes-God knows where-Vietnam, China,
the swimsuits-I believe America
NIKE Is the official competitionwear supplier-I own a bunch of nike stuff-mainly for tennis and table tennis-don't see much made in USA.

China owns most of the US. I don't see why they shouldn't pay for the uniforms.

Where are our military uniforms and garments made?

Are they made in China too?

Taiwan?

I have ACUs from American Apparel and Propper Int. I'm not sure about Propper, they are an international company.

My old BDU say Ammerican Apparel. My Molle tactical vest is from Tacoma Wa.

Harry Reid almost pops a vessel over this. Apparently he would rather have American athletes appear in the games nude.

But made in China is the American way, Harry.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1060685017 said:
Harry Reid almost pops a vessel over this. Apparently he would rather have American athletes appear in the games nude.

But made in China is the American way, Harry.

Im with Harry on this one. Make **** in America if your the damn American team. If that is so crazy so be it. But hey American made by American jobs for Americans. Not slave labor or child labor from China...

Im with Harry on this one. Make **** in America if your the damn American team. If that is so crazy so be it. But hey American made by American jobs for Americans. Not slave labor or child labor from China...

I agree with you but, due to the US global trade agreements, those days are long gone. American labor can't produce goods as inexpensively as third world countries. That's one reason we are at 8.2% unemployment. I'm all for import taxes on goods to make prices competitive.

The US would eventually be bankrupt if China was allowed to provide services here as well. Oh wait, they do!

So, do you ever buy "made in China?"

Μολὼν λαβέ;1060685102 said:
I agree with you but, due to the US global trade agreements, those days are long gone. American labor can't produce goods as inexpensively as third world countries. That's one reason we are at 8.2% unemployment. I'm all for import taxes on goods to make prices competitive.
I really think the US Olympic team can afford the gastly cost of US labor.
If the state house race i worked on could afford the horrible thing of union made clothing for the campaign im sure the US olympic team can also.

The US would eventually be bankrupt if China was allowed to provide services here as well. Oh wait, they do!

Of course i do i have to. But im pretty sure if a team is representing USA im sure they can 1 afford the damn clothing and 2 its kind of common sense.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1060685102 said:

I'll repeat this a second time. According to the linked article in the OP, one source is quoted as saying the outfits could have been made in America, AND FOR A CHEAPER PRICE.

The uniforms were also designed by Ralph Lauren - so funding is obviously not part of the equation.

What could have been easily done, was not.
What should have been done, was not.

None of which has anything to do with money, or ability.

USOC: It's too late to remake Team USA uniforms for London Games - CNN.com

(CNN) -- The U.S. Olympic Committee says it is too late to remake uniforms that sport "Made in China" labels for the London Games, though vowed Team USA would march in clothing made in America during the opening of the 2014 Winter Games.

The announcement Friday was an about face by the USOC a day after it defended the use of the Ralph Lauren designer uniform, which were widely condemned by lawmakers who questioned why the work was not given to the hard-hit American textile industry.

"We take seriously the concerns we've heard from members of Congress and the American public regarding the U.S. Olympic Team's Opening and Closing ceremonies uniforms," Scott Blackmun, the USOC chief executive officer, said in a written statement.

Back
Top Bottom