• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Activist Chen Guangcheng chose to stay in China to protect family from death threats,

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
(AP) BEIJING - A close friend of the blind Chinese legal activist who holed up in the U.S. Embassy to flee persecution said Chen Guangcheng agreed to stay in China only to protect his family after receiving threats that his wife would be beaten to death if he left the country.

Activist Chen Guangcheng chose to stay in China to protect family from death threats, friend says - CBS News

Why do we buy things from this country and why was Hillary just there kissin their asses? Just something to think about next time you visit Wal Mart.

Re: Activist Chen Guangcheng chose to stay in China to protect family from death thre

i'm not anti-China, and i do hope that their standard of living improves and that they see in increase in liberty in my lifetime.

that being said, i'd feel a lot better if we were much less dependent on them.

Re: Activist Chen Guangcheng chose to stay in China to protect family from death thre

Things like this make me anti China though. Borrowing money from and doing business with a country that threatens to beat your wife to death if you leave just kind of goes against American values.

(AP) BEIJING - A close friend of the blind Chinese legal activist who holed up in the U.S. Embassy to flee persecution said Chen Guangcheng agreed to stay in China only to protect his family after receiving threats that his wife would be beaten to death if he left the country.

Activist Chen Guangcheng chose to stay in China to protect family from death threats, friend says - CBS News

Why do we buy things from this country and why was Hillary just there kissin their asses? Just something to think about next time you visit Wal Mart.

This is why it is hypocritical of those republicans to be going "I'm patriotic and those commies can eat a dick, **** them!" and then turn around and give them jobs.

Something we can finally agree upon.Since I am a taoist I've been well aware of China's treatment of my fellow taoists,Falun Gong,Buddhists,Evangelical Christians,Tibetens and dissidents and I refuse to buy anything made in China.

The Chinese Govt. has demanded an apology from the United States.
Chen Guangcheng leaves US embassy, China demands apology| Chen Guangcheng News | The Week UK

The safest thing for Mr. Obama to do is to apologize to the Chinese Communists, and avoid a repetition of his behavior. This will involve a loss of "face" by America, but that's a small price to pay compared to the price than Mr. Chen and his family are now going to pay.

As far as economics is concerned, because it is in the United States' economic interest to do so. Given China's comparative advantage in certain areas, American consumers benefit from wider choice and lower prices than would be the case if the U.S. severed all trade with China.

Moreover, it is in the United States' broader interest to have a constructive relationship with China, recognizing that there are some signficant differences between the two countries. China is a great regional power. It is also a rising or to use Henry Kissinger's more precise terminology, a "returning" power. Attempts at containment would be futile given China's many other international relationships. Attempts at containment would only risk creating a self-fulfilling prophecy of an adversarial and possibly even confrontational relationship. That outcome would be particularly dangerous if China's relative power continues to grow.

Having said all that, the U.S. should continue to press China for human rights improvements through diplomatic channels and it should also maintain its commitments to its East Asian allies. Ron Paul-style abdication of U.S. alliances should be avoided. While the U.S. cannot reasonably expect China to transform itself into a liberal European or American style democratic republic given China's institutions, history, and culture, it can and should persistently insist on the more modest and attainable goals of China's improving its human rights practices and respecting its neighbors' interests. A constructive bilateral policy coupled with sustained American commitments to its East Asian partners can facilitate those goals. An adversarial policy can thwart those goals.

This contretemps over Mr. Chen goes more to the question of internal divisions within China than it concerns America. In any event, the Obama Administration has adopted an adversarial relationship with the Chinese. That's the point of his "pivot to Asia."

In any event, the Obama Administration has adopted an adversarial relationship with the Chinese. That's the point of his "pivot to Asia."

The U.S. has attempted to establish a more constructive, not adversarial relationship with China. The U.S. has maintained its strategic dialogue. It has restarted military-to military contacts. It has established behind-the-scenes channels with China aimed at managing various aspects of the bilateral relationship. It has refrained from designating China a currency manipulator.

The Chinese Communists don't interpret President Obama's "pivot to Asia" as well being intentioned. They see the pivot as an attempt to prevent the rise of China.

Wheels have been set in motion that brings American involvement into Core Areas of national interest for the Han Chinese. This is the type of Balance of Power Great Power Politics that has led to war about half the time throughout history.

The Chinese Communists don't interpret President Obama's "pivot to Asia" as well being intentioned. They see the pivot as an attempt to prevent the rise of China.

On that we agree. Finding a way to overcome those misperceptions is a significant policy challenge. There are no simple solutions and it might require a fairly lengthy period over which confidence can develop.

God help Mr. Chen and his family. He made a critical error in seeking American assistance. Now he and his family will experience prolonged agony at the hands of the faction of the Chinese Communist Party that hold them.

As far as economics is concerned, because it is in the United States' economic interest to do so. Given China's comparative advantage in certain areas, American consumers benefit from wider choice and lower prices than would be the case if the U.S. severed all trade with China.

Moreover, it is in the United States' broader interest to have a constructive relationship with China, recognizing that there are some signficant differences between the two countries. China is a great regional power. It is also a rising or to use Henry Kissinger's more precise terminology, a "returning" power. Attempts at containment would be futile given China's many other international relationships. Attempts at containment would only risk creating a self-fulfilling prophecy of an adversarial and possibly even confrontational relationship. That outcome would be particularly dangerous if China's relative power continues to grow.

Having said all that, the U.S. should continue to press China for human rights improvements through diplomatic channels and it should also maintain its commitments to its East Asian allies. Ron Paul-style abdication of U.S. alliances should be avoided. While the U.S. cannot reasonably expect China to transform itself into a liberal European or American style democratic republic given China's institutions, history, and culture, it can and should persistently insist on the more modest and attainable goals of China's improving its human rights practices and respecting its neighbors' interests. A constructive bilateral policy coupled with sustained American commitments to its East Asian partners can facilitate those goals. An adversarial policy can thwart those goals.

A very well thought out statement that I mostly agree with but at some point you have to ask yourself, why are we doing business with people like this, are we bringing them up to our level our are they bringing us down to theres. We need to wean ourselves off of Chinese made products and we need a president that will make that a prority.

A very well thought out statement that I mostly agree with but at some point you have to ask yourself, why are we doing business with people like this, are we bringing them up to our level our are they bringing us down to theres. We need to wean ourselves off of Chinese made products and we need a president that will make that a prority.

American consumers like Chinese products because they are, for a host of reasons, cheaper and more price-competitive. That's not something that any President can easily change.

American consumers like Chinese products because they are, for a host of reasons, cheaper and more price-competitive. That's not something that any President can easily change.

I am not blaming obama and am not saying Romney would do any different but a president has the bully pulpit and could make this an issue if he chose to do so.

If the U.S. wishes to consume fewer imports, it needs to become more competitive. Unfortunately, the kind of political courage required to get to the source of the problem by pointing out that while American workers and companies are world class in some industries, they are not world class in others is rare.

A President needs a bold and coherent vision and the leadership capacity to rally the nation via investments in education, science, etc. Transformational leaders along the lines of an FDR, JFK, or Reagan who could do so are also not common. Given the absence of transformational leadership, it is not too surprising that the nation lacks a broad vision and appetite for risktaking in the critical sectors of tomorrow ranging from space to alternative energy. Instead, the nation's overall aspirations have continued to narrow. As a result, the U.S. is at growing risk of becoming a status quo state, even as the world around it continues to change. With enormous fiscal imbalances looming in the medium- and long-term, the current lack of vision and boldness could well result in a temptation to make drastic but shortsighted reductions in investment, in a bid to avoid politically contentious but essential structural changes to taxes and mandatory spending programs. Such an outcome could further limit the nation's strategic flexibility. Today, the U.S. still has a lot of flexibility. Maintaining a business as usual course will lead to far less flexibility tomorrow. The opportunity cost will be the increased possibility that another country or group of countries will achieve qualitative breakthroughs that make it possible to leapfrog the U.S. in one or more critical sectors or technologies, some of which may have military as well as consumer implications.

Finally, a President also has only limited latitude. If the nation is to become more competitive, the private sector will also need to join the effort. Corporate R&D will have to increase markedly. Yet, with the economy still recovering, the private sector remains abnormally risk-averse, focusing on increased short-term profits via cost minimization, but at the risk of foregoing much larger future profits due to reduced R&D, etc.

Last edited:

If the U.S. wishes to consume fewer imports, it needs to become more competitive. Unfortunately, the kind of political courage required to get to the source of the problem by pointing out that while American workers and companies are world class in some industries, they are not world class in others is rare.

A President needs a bold and coherent vision and the leadership capacity to rally the nation via investments in education, science, etc. Transformational leaders along the lines of an FDR, JFK, or Reagan who could do so are also not common. Given the absence of transformational leadership, it is not too surprising that the nation lacks a broad vision and appetite for risktaking in the critical sectors of tomorrow ranging from space to alternative energy. Instead, the nation's overall aspirations have continued to narrow. As a result, the U.S. is at growing risk of becoming a status quo state, even as the world around it continues to change. With enormous fiscal imbalances looming in the medium- and long-term, the current lack of vision and boldness could well result in a temptation to make drastic but shortsighted reductions in investment, in a bid to avoid politically contentious but essential structural changes to taxes and mandatory spending programs. Such an outcome could further limit the nation's strategic flexibility. Today, the U.S. still has a lot of flexibility. Maintaining a business as usual course will lead to far less flexibility tomorrow. The opportunity cost will be the increased possibility that another country or group of countries will achieve qualitative breakthroughs that make it possible to leapfrog the U.S. in one or more critical sectors or technologies, some of which may have military as well as consumer implications.

Finally, a President also has only limited latitude. If the nation is to become more competitive, the private sector will also need to join the effort. Corporate R&D will have to increase markedly. Yet, with the economy still recovering, the private sector remains abnormally risk-averse, focusing on increased short-term profits via cost minimization, but at the risk of foregoing much larger future profits due to reduced R&D, etc.

Reagan had the balls to call the Soviet Union the evil empire, now we have a new evil empire and we are feeding it. If we had a president that called China that and said we need to make it a national priority not to feed this beast, we could start turning things around.

America can't turn things around for itself without a transformation of the political culture. Domestic opponents in America treat each other as if they were Nazi Germany.

The divisions within the American body politic blot out a consciousness of a common fate and shared interests. This lack of shared consciousness has been experienced by other peoples in the past. It usually results in bad things happening to those people.

"...'I would like to say to President Obama: please do everything you can to get our family out,' Chen told CNN, according to a translation of his quote.

He also accused US embassy officials of pushing him hard to leave the safety of the embassy on Wednesday where he had sought refuge for six days after fleeing his home in the eastern province of Shandong.

'The embassy kept lobbying me to leave and promised to have people stay with me in the hospital, but this afternoon, as soon as I checked into the hospital room, I noticed they were all gone,' Chen told CNN by phone."

China activist appeals to Obama to get him to US - Yahoo! News Canada

The state security bureau that had Mr. Chen under house arrest has been humiliated that he escaped and sought shelter in the US Embassy of all places.

The Party is going to make an example of Mr. Chen, and make Mr. Obama lose face in the process. That's why Chen was allowed to invoke the name of Mr. Obama for protection. The Chinese people are going to see that invoking American protection comes to naught.

"...'I would like to say to President Obama: please do everything you can to get our family out,' Chen told CNN, according to a translation of his quote.

He also accused US embassy officials of pushing him hard to leave the safety of the embassy on Wednesday where he had sought refuge for six days after fleeing his home in the eastern province of Shandong.

'The embassy kept lobbying me to leave and promised to have people stay with me in the hospital, but this afternoon, as soon as I checked into the hospital room, I noticed they were all gone,' Chen told CNN by phone."

China activist appeals to Obama to get him to US - Yahoo! News Canada

The state security bureau that had Mr. Chen under house arrest has been humiliated that he escaped and sought shelter in the US Embassy of all places.

The Party is going to make an example of Mr. Chen, and make Mr. Obama lose face in the process. That's why Chen was allowed to invoke the name of Mr. Obama for protection. The
Chinese people are going to see that invoking American protection comes to naught

Sadly I agree, this administration is going to leave Chen twisting in the wind figuratively and possibly literally.

The Chinese people are going to see that invoking American protection comes to naught.

Hrrm... that'd be weird, can I invoke chinese protection in America?

Hrrm... that'd be weird, can I invoke chinese protection in America?

Talk to me when the American government is threatening to beat someone to death if their husband leaves the country. Until then you really need to stfu.

Talk to me when the American government is threatening to beat someone to death if their husband leaves the country. Until then you really need to stfu.

LoL tell me when china invades the middle east and causes the death of a million people

and establishes a torture camp to systematically torture dozens of people for years.

We should get some communist PR activists supported by china in the US, I'm sure you'd find that peachy.

LoL tell me when china invades the middle east and causes the death of a million people

and establishes a torture camp to systematically torture dozens of people for years.

We should get some communist PR activists supported by china in the US, I'm sure you'd find that peachy.

China supports brutal dictators, we oust them.

Water boarding captured terrorist equates to beating a woman to death? LOL

When the US has a forced abortion policy we can talk, until then umm stfu. LOL

China supports brutal dictators, we oust them.

What, china doesnt support foreign dictators... the united states has supported like 50-60 this century...
note that involves training interrogators secret police etc... depending when and where

Water boarding captured terrorist equates to beating a woman to death? LOL

No, the do creative stuff like overdose them on psychological drugs and blast them with outdoor military grade speakers in a small cell until they start vomiting from induced psychosis after a few hours...

some of them attempt to commit suicide in straight jackets by smashing their heads against the walls because they're tortured in sessions that cycle 24/7

also dozens of 'prisoners' aka neighborhood guys in Iraq get picked up then beaten and die of internal bleeding in prisons like abu-ghraib

those news articles are always the easy ones to forget...

When the US has a forced abortion policy we can talk, until then umm stfu. LOL

Does china still have a forced abortion policy...?
The US probably needs one... the rates of unwanted pregnancy in densely religious are very high.

Back
Top Bottom