• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Jersey middle school bans hugging(edited)

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
New Jersey middle school bans hugging - Yahoo! News <-- source

ABERDEEN TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) — More than 900 students at a New Jersey middle school have been told no more hugging.

The district says Matawan-Aberdeen Middle School Principal Tyler Blackmore made an announcement that students were in a "no hugging school" following some "incidents of unsuitable, physical interactions."

Once again - the few screw up everything for the many?

Or paranoid insecurities and fear taking control?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: No Hugging In School???

Why should kids be hugging in school again?

Middle school age kids don't need ot be touching on eachother much, or teachers. . . our schools already have rules against physical contact of that nature for the more grown kids.

If it was an elementary school I'd have a slight issue because many children are just 4 and 5 and feel afraid being in a school environment around a lot of bigger children when their parents are not around - they needs hugs for comfort.

My kids hug their friends all the time. It's a common greeting among many friends. Especially girls.

What's wrong with hugging?

It's surely better than fighting.

The hugging was apparently a little too good.

So it's easier to just ban "hoodies" than correct the small minority that where the hoodie that says something offensive?

And this teaches kids what exactly?

So it's easier to just ban "hoodies" than correct the small minority that where the hoodie that says something offensive?

And this teaches kids what exactly?

Likely not to dirty grind in the halls between classes.

Kinda sucks.

I'm certain the situation was pretty absurd to call out for a full hugging ban.

Are you telling me they are going to suspend two kids for hugging in the hallway? Good luck on that one.

Comically, from the article:
The superintendent says despite the rule, students who hug will not be suspended.

The superintendent says he believes the principal acted responsibly.

So the superintendent is not backing the principal.

School Superintendent David Healy says the district has the responsibility to teach children about appropriate interactions.

Yeah, so hugging can be an appropriate greeting and middle school/high school girls, in my experience do it often when they come across their friends. Just punish the dorks who did it inappropriately and go on.

I never got that: hugging to say hi to friends. I think it's strange - must be a cultural thing because i certainly wasn't raised that way (evidenlty: I'm not from the south - I only live here)

Took it too far. Hugging be acceptable, groping be not.

I never got that: hugging to say hi to friends. I think it's strange - must be a cultural thing because i certainly wasn't raised that way (evidenlty: I'm not from the south - I only live here)

Forgive me for this, but how old are you?

I have a sophomore in college, and a sophomore in high school. They hug everybody who's their friend.

It is pretty common here in the north. It isn't a 5 minute event with heavy breathing. It is a handshake and quick rap around the back...then we move on.

It's a girl thing. Many of the guys around here couldn't be seen even doing the Sopranos hug (the reach over, pat on back 2-3 times).

It is pretty common here in the north. It isn't a 5 minute event with heavy breathing. It is a handshake and quick rap around the back...then we move on.

A study was released saying 8 hugs a day was the minimum threshold for therapeutic effect from human contact. Wish I could find it, it was in ze newspaper.

Also theres no hugging in the south cause hugging is for homos and lesbos who squeeze their boobs together. oh... we know...

:piercing gaze:

A study was released saying 8 hugs a day was the minimum threshold for therapeutic effect from human contact. Wish I could find it, it was in ze newspaper.

Also theres no hugging in the south cause hugging is for homos and lesbos who squeeze their boobs together. oh... we know...

:piercing gaze:

I am with the lesbians on this. I like it when they squeeze their boobs together or on me. I am pro hugging.

The hugging was apparently a little too good.
But what no longer seems apparent is to deal with offenders rather than to unduly punish the innocent. With the way society is today, no way in hell I would ever want to jump in a time machine. And, my family and friends, we hug all the time. I am not in any way apologetic to the anti huggers out there. Its a human thing to do.

But what no longer seems apparent is to deal with offenders rather than to unduly punish the innocent. With the way society is today, no way in hell I would ever want to jump in a time machine. And, my family and friends, we hug all the time. I am not in any way apologetic to the anti huggers out there. Its a human thing to do.

Please, I'm sure there was some sortof islamist revolution in the principles office. :roll:

The situation had to have been our of control.

i cant believe what i read!i think that school is governed by islamic rules..

Hard to believe hugging could become a "bad thing" when it comes to kids.

I understand kids, being human, can pretty much FUBAR anything, but surely the educators can educate without having to ban.

Meanwhile: in another thread we're discussing the issue of 5 year olds giving oral sex to eachother.

Odd how the line gets skewed. . . kids should know better, teachers and parents should intervene and be aware: but obviously sexual-awareness is a problem - and I guess people just want to pretend there's not an issue to be discussed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom