• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit 3 separate entities?

Enola

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I get confused. Did God take human form as Jesus? Or was Jesus unique?

John 14:6
New International Version (NIV)
6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

which means they are separate entities. Right?

When I pray, I pray to God. Is that not the correct thing to do? And why do people say "Pray to God" if they are really supposed to pray to Jesus?

There are many distinctions, Jesus is not omniscient for example.

Don'

t know don't care. I pray to god and will let everything else sort itself out without my help.

IMO, God is entirely transcendent and Jesus is just a human manifestation of God. Like a mirror reflects the light of the sun, Jesus reflected God's energy.

God is manifest in the holy spirit and Jesus. The trinity is all God. He is one but also three. It reaches the limits of our human reasoning to fully grasp this. Jesus was fully God. At the same time, he was human. As with the holy spirit. Fully God, yet not seen physically. All attributes of God are present and the same in Jesus and Holy spirit, yet separate also to serve a different purpose. It can get confusing. Example: when Jesus died on the cross, did God die as well? Of course not because all living things depend on the very presence of God. Hope this helps and not confuses you even more!

So I guess what I'm asking is...if I pray to God and speak his name of God, I'm not insulting Jesus by not involking His name? I have evening chats with Him (God) and we converse in many strange ways...mostly through nature or animals. I do not go to church. I have not read the bible except for bits and pieces over my years on this earth. But I've never done the "Praise Jesus" thing or "In Jesus Name" stuff. I just converse with God and call him that. God. And I wondered if I was not doing it right.

So I guess what I'm asking is...if I pray to God and speak his name of God, I'm not insulting Jesus by not involking His name? I have evening chats with Him (God) and we converse in many strange ways...mostly through nature or animals. I do not go to church. I have not read the bible except for bits and pieces over my years on this earth. But I've never done the "Praise Jesus" thing or "In Jesus Name" stuff. I just converse with God and call him that. God. And I wondered if I was not doing it right.

As you learn more and more about God each day and who he is, it is very important to understand why he is the trinity. God is referred to as father by Jesus. It shows how Jesus was aware of Gods authority. Jesus made many references to how he would do only as his father commanded him. God was manifest in Jesus to live a perfect life and be the perfect sacrifice that would die and be the atonement for our sins. So it is an example to us of how in our lives, God must also be our authority and we live in a way that is obedient to Him. So when we start to see that, it leads our hearts to make a decision that God isn't just someone we casually chat with occasionally, or just acknowledge, for even Satan knows God. It is when you understand who God is in relation to yourself and his authority over you. I pray to God and ask for his leadership through the work of his holy spirit in my life. At the same time you can pray to Jesus in a manner of humble praise and adoration due to your new life he offers through his death and resurrection. So praying to God is definitely not insulting Jesus since all three are the one same God, just manifest in each for specific working out of his purposes and will.

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Jesus also said "I and my Father are one..."
"He who hath the Son has the Father also..."

The trinity is difficult to comprehend, but it is three personalities/facets/avatars of one being. I believe that God is a multidimensional entity... just as a 3D person could only intrude on a 2D world as a "slice of himself" from the 2D perspective, yet still be singular in his own perspective, God is so multidimensionally vast that only a tiny fraction of Himself can intersect our reality at any one place and time, or something drastic might happen. As He told Moses, "no man can see me and live..."

Jesus was that personality of God who choose to limit himself to human form and human frailty, in order to show us first hand how to live in fellowship with God and to create a bridge between holy God and sinful Man. Only a man could walk among us as one of us, but only God could create a way for us to escape our own sinfulness and reach Him.

enola ,christ was a prophet ,not a god who had taken human form ,so you should pray to god ,not to jesus christ.

God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are three forms of the same being.

Jesus also said "I and my Father are one..."
"He who hath the Son has the Father also...".

Just as all Christians are one with the Father right?

My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, [SUP]21[/SUP] that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. -John 17:20-22[FONT='Charis SIL', charis, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

My concept is that the father, son, (and holy ghost) are symbolic for the characteristics of man (on the individual level). Yeah, I know, you didn't ask about the holy spirit, but the other part of the trinity is an essential part of the God/Jesus question. ;)

I didn't go into detail about the holy ghost because I had to concentrate on the initial question first...otherwise, I'd get confused again.:shock:

I didn't go into detail about the holy ghost because I had to concentrate on the initial question first...otherwise, I'd get confused again.:shock:

No problemo. It's your thread and your question. I just couldn't figure out where the spirit disappeared to, lol. :D

Its on standby.;)

Most of modern Christianity believes in a “Trinity” as described in the Athanasian Creed.

• Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith;
  • Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly.
  • And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity;
  • Neither confounding the persons nor dividing the substance.
  • For there is one person of the Father, another of the Son, and another of the Holy Spirit.
  • But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit is all one, the glory equal, the majesty coeternal.
  • Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such is the Holy Spirit.
  • The Father uncreated, the Son uncreated, and the Holy Spirit uncreated.
  • The Father incomprehensible, the Son incomprehensible, and the Holy Spirit incomprehensible.
  • The Father eternal, the Son eternal, and the Holy Spirit eternal.
  • And yet they are not three eternals but one eternal.
  • As also there are not three uncreated nor three incomprehensible, but one uncreated and one incomprehensible.
  • So likewise the Father is almighty, the Son almighty, and the Holy Spirit almighty.
  • And yet they are not three almighties, but one almighty.
  • So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God;
  • And yet they are not three Gods, but one God.
  • So likewise the Father is Lord, the Son Lord, and the Holy Spirit Lord;
  • And yet they are not three Lords but one Lord.
  • For like as we are compelled by the Christian verity to acknowledge every Person by himself to be God and Lord;
  • So are we forbidden by the catholic religion to say; There are three Gods or three Lords.
  • The Father is made of none, neither created nor begotten.
  • The Son is of the Father alone; not made nor created, but begotten.
  • The Holy Spirit is of the Father and of the Son; neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding.
  • So there is one Father, not three Fathers; one Son, not three Sons; one Holy Spirit, not three Holy Spirits.
  • And in this Trinity none is afore or after another; none is greater or less than another.
  • But the whole three persons are coeternal, and coequal.
  • So that in all things, as aforesaid, the Unity in Trinity and the Trinity in Unity is to be worshipped.
  • He therefore that will be saved must thus think of the Trinity.
  • Furthermore it is necessary to everlasting salvation that he also believe rightly the incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ.
  • For the right faith is that we believe and confess that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and man.
  • God of the substance of the Father, begotten before the worlds; and man of substance of His mother, born in the world.
  • Perfect God and perfect man, of a reasonable soul and human flesh subsisting.
  • Equal to the Father as touching His Godhead, and inferior to the Father as touching His manhood.
  • Who, although He is God and man, yet He is not two, but one Christ.
  • One, not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh, but by taking of that manhood into God.
  • One altogether, not by confusion of substance, but by unity of person.
  • For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man, so God and man is one Christ;
  • Who suffered for our salvation, descended into hell, rose again the third day from the dead;
  • He ascended into heaven, He sits on the right hand of the Father, God, Almighty;
  • From thence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
  • At whose coming all men shall rise again with their bodies;
  • and shall give account of their own works.
  • And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting and they that have done evil into everlasting fire.
  • This is the catholic faith, which except a man believe faithfully he cannot be saved.

A very confusing and irrational attempt to explain how these are three beings, and yet one being. And if you don't understand and believe it, then you cannot be saved.

As a Mormon, I don't believe this. Oddly, the fact that we reject the Athanasian Creed, and the “Trinity”*as defined therein, is one of the reasons that some other Christians claim that we are not Christians. Of course, if believing in this sort of nonsense is a requirement for being a Christian, then there were no Christians in Jesus' time, or for a few centuries afterward.

My belief, as a Mormon, is simple, clear, and straightforward. The Father (Elohim), the Son (Jesus/Jehovah) and the Holy Ghost are three distinct, individual beings. This is what Jesus himself claimed, and this is what was believed by those whom he taught directly, and by those who recorded his teachings.

One God, but three persons of the Godhead. Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Of the same essense, God, but three Persons. Jesus was God the Son. The Son took on a human body and we know Him as Jesus Christ. To Christ was given all authority in heaven and earth. Matt. 28:18 " And Jesus came and spake unto them saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. "

When we who are Christian pray, we pray to God or to Jesus Christ. He will hear our prayers. Though we may use only the name 'God', we are coming in Christs name. Which is why we end our prayers, 'in Christs name' or 'in the name of Jesus Christ we pray'.

Of course if one does not believe in Christ, or rather denies Christ, as the Son of God, but simply comes to God, it is our belief that God will not hear that prayer. Because we belief there is only one God, and only one way to God, Jesus Christ.

Quantrill

One God, but three persons of the Godhead. Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Of the same essense, God, but three Persons. Jesus was God the Son. The Son took on a human body and we know Him as Jesus Christ. To Christ was given all authority in heaven and earth. Matt. 28:18 " And Jesus came and spake unto them saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. "

When we who are Christian pray, we pray to God or to Jesus Christ. He will hear our prayers. Though we may use only the name 'God', we are coming in Christs name. Which is why we end our prayers, 'in Christs name' or 'in the name of Jesus Christ we pray'.

Of course if one does not believe in Christ, or rather denies Christ, as the Son of God, but simply comes to God, it is our belief that God will not hear that prayer. Because we belief there is only one God, and only one way to God, Jesus Christ.

Quantrill

Seems like it would make more sense to pray to the Father or the holy spirit than to Jesus. Of the three persons of the Godhead, Jesus is the one that is demonstrably not omniscient, and being fully human, his hearing is limited by his human ears.

In any event, since there is only one God, believing in any one of the three persons of the Godhead means you believe in God right?

Seems like it would make more sense to pray to the Father or the holy spirit than to Jesus. Of the three persons of the Godhead, Jesus is the one that is demonstrably not omniscient, and being fully human, his hearing is limited by his human ears.

In any event, since there is only one God, believing in any one of the three persons of the Godhead means you believe in God right?

Jesus is The Son, that second Peson of the Godhead, and so is omniscient. When He walked this earth, He limited His abilites to conform to the human body He had. That did not make Him less than God.

As a Christian, I say the Bible teaches there is only way to be right with God. That is through Jesus Christ. So, no. I cannot say you can just believe in God. You must come to God through Christ. Faith in Christ.

Quantrill

Jesus is The Son, that second Peson of the Godhead, and so is omniscient. When He walked this earth, He limited His abilites to conform to the human body He had. That did not make Him less than God.

As a Christian, I say the Bible teaches there is only way to be right with God. That is through Jesus Christ. So, no. I cannot say you can just believe in God. You must come to God through Christ. Faith in Christ.

Quantrill

""No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Matt 24:36

The Son is clearly not omniscient.

When He walked this earth, He limited His abilites to conform to the human body He had. That did not make Him less than God.

Is this referenced somewhere by a professional theologian? I know he wasn't omniscient...

Sorry, Im just confused.

God is the creator of the universe. Mysterious and powerful, we know Him only through His works.

Jesus is the ultimate messenger of God. He is called both the "son of God" and the "son of man" in the Bible because he represents both. As a man, he never sinned, and his message was perfect and pure.

The Holy Spirit is the word of God, as it is in your heart. The message of Jesus is the Holy Spirit.

Christianity is the acceptance of the Holy Spirit in your heart. Christ is our Savior, because he gave us the message (Spirit).

Last edited:
""No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Matt 24:36

The Son is clearly not omniscient.

As I said, The Son, the second Person of the Godhead, limited his abilities when He became a man. The Son is God and equal with God. The Son as the man Jesus Christ, limits Himself to a degree.

Quantrill

Back
Top Bottom