• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arrest & detain American citizens in the USA, indefinitely??

Should the militiary be able to arrest & detain American citizens indefinitely?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thunder

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Senate backs military custody of terror suspects - Yahoo! News

Should the United States military have the power to arrest & detain, without charge or trial, American citizens in the USA, indefinitely?

Well apparently, the Senate today gave the military just that kind of power. I will admit, I thought it was a mistake. But it appears I was wrong. This law is real, and Senator Feinstein tried to add an ammendment making American citizens ineligible for this stipulation. Her Amendment to the bill was killed by almost all Republicans & Democrats.

WTF is going on??

WTF is going on??

Its called the idea of balancing rights and public safety. There is a reason I say the idea fails to make any sense and is far to dangerous to be involved in.

Last edited:
That would be a dictatorship and then we should have a second revolution.

That would be a dictatorship and then we should have a second revolution.

a dictatorship is a govt. an unelected leader, who has absolute power with ZERO checks & balances.

we are far from having a dictatorship. your "revolution" is gonna have to wait.

:lamo

What possible reason is there for indefinitely detaining American citizens who are in the USA? If they've broken the law, arrest them and put them on trial. I don't understand what purpose this serves.

Senate backs military custody of terror suspects - Yahoo! News

Should the United States military have the power to arrest & detain, without charge or trial, American citizens in the USA, indefinitely?

Well apparently, the Senate today gave the military just that kind of power. I will admit, I thought it was a mistake. But it appears I was wrong. This law is real, and Senator Feinstein tried to add an ammendment making American citizens ineligible for this stipulation. Her Amendment to the bill was killed by almost all Republicans & Democrats.

WTF is going on??

The bill includes a "measure that said nothing in the bill changes current law relating to the detention of U.S. citizens and legal aliens". The article referenced in the beginning of this thread is either poorly written or terribly biased.

Read more: Senate Approves $662 Billion Defense Bill | Fox News

Here I am in the 9%...nothing new...
Has it been forgotten that we are still in a "WAR" against terrorism ?
Last I knew, this so-called war has not been won.
How can a war be conducted if we are shackled by our own people ??

I see absolutely no reason for the military not to arrest and detain anyone on a foreign battlefield acting as our enemy...citizen or not.

Where is the "yes, only if foreign nationals on American soil" option?

Here I am in the 9%...nothing new...
Has it been forgotten that we are still in a "WAR" against terrorism ?
Last I knew, this so-called war has not been won.
How can a war be conducted if we are shackled by our own people ??

Not all wars are in the interest of Americans, nor justifiable.

The war is over. This is kinda like staying in a theater staring at the screen hours after the movie ended.

Where is the "yes, only if foreign nationals on American soil" option?

Not all wars are in the interest of Americans, nor justifiable.

The war is over. This is kinda like staying in a theater staring at the screen hours after the movie ended.

Actually, I think staying in a theater staring at the screen hours after the movie ended might be like continuing to criticize military action long years after it's been taken and is on its way to being resolved.

I think the war on terror is a little more like leaving your family to watch a movie in a theatre and then going looking for the armed nutjob in the parking lot who's threatening to randomly shoot at the ticket booth.

Back
Top Bottom