• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government fines jailed Border Patrol agent’s family

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
So not only do they send a border agent to prison for improperly restraining an alien/suspect they want to make his wife pay a fine. With scumbags in the government actively trying to jail border agents I have to wonder why anyone would want to be a border patrol agent.

Government fines jailed Border Patrol agent's family - Washington Times

After successfully winning a two-year prison sentence against U.S. Border Patrol Agent Jesus E. Diaz Jr., the Justice Department is now trying to collect a $6,870 fine from his wife, saying it should be paid “immediately” — even though the judge signaled she would have a grace period.
In a notice sent last week the Justice Department said the fines were imposed by the court that found Agent Diaz guilty and sentenced him to prison for improperly restraining a 15-year-old suspected of drug smuggling.
“We strongly urge you to pay this debt immediate,” said the notice, which was received by Diana Diaz, who is also a Border Patrol agent.
But Rep. Duncan Hunter, California Republican, sent a letter to Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. on Tuesday asking that the fine be canceled or at the least be delayed until after his appeal. Mr. Hunter said the judge in the case told Mrs. Diaz that the process for fines wouldn’t begin until a month after he was released from federal prison.
“The case involving Agent Diaz deserves special consideration under the circumstances,” Mr. Hunter said.
The Justice Department didn’t respond immediately to a request for comment Tuesday afternoon.
Mr. Hunter had earlier written a letter asking Mr. Holder why the Justice Department pursued the case against Agent Diaz even after two internal reviews cleared him of wrongdoing.

So not only do they send a border agent to prison for improperly restraining an alien/suspect they want to make his wife pay a fine. With scumbags in the government actively trying to jail border agents I have to wonder why anyone would want to be a border patrol agent.

Government fines jailed Border Patrol agent's family - Washington Times

After successfully winning a two-year prison sentence against U.S. Border Patrol Agent Jesus E. Diaz Jr., the Justice Department is now trying to collect a $6,870 fine from his wife, saying it should be paid “immediately” — even though the judge signaled she would have a grace period.
In a notice sent last week the Justice Department said the fines were imposed by the court that found Agent Diaz guilty and sentenced him to prison for improperly restraining a 15-year-old suspected of drug smuggling.
“We strongly urge you to pay this debt immediate,” said the notice, which was received by Diana Diaz, who is also a Border Patrol agent.
But Rep. Duncan Hunter, California Republican, sent a letter to Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. on Tuesday asking that the fine be canceled or at the least be delayed until after his appeal. Mr. Hunter said the judge in the case told Mrs. Diaz that the process for fines wouldn’t begin until a month after he was released from federal prison.
“The case involving Agent Diaz deserves special consideration under the circumstances,” Mr. Hunter said.
The Justice Department didn’t respond immediately to a request for comment Tuesday afternoon.
Mr. Hunter had earlier written a letter asking Mr. Holder why the Justice Department pursued the case against Agent Diaz even after two internal reviews cleared him of wrongdoing.

This is especially frustrating when that same Justice department was involved in the "Fast and Furious" scandal in which a US border agent was killed with one of the weapons supplied by the government.

Holder admits Fast and Furious blunders | Fox News Latino

Are we still on the illegal alien thing? I thought that was just meant to be spin to distract people from the Iraq war 3-4 years ago?

Our country has way bigger problems than a bunch of Mexicans right now.

Are we still on the illegal alien thing? I thought that was just meant to be spin to distract people from the Iraq war 3-4 years ago?

To prevent hijacking the thread, I'll skip my response to the substance of your comments. However, I did want to mention that the point of this issue is that this agent was cleared by 2 internal review boards before a third decided he should be prosecuted. From the information I have read (and that is somewhat limited), there is no grounds besides a verbal complaint for the case and he still went to jail for 2 years. Keep in mind, the person alleging the complaint got caught with something like 150 lbs of pot. On top of that, his family was billed 6k.

It's not about whether Mexicans are getting through, but about the prosecution of a man for doing his job and enforcing the law.

To prevent hijacking the thread, I'll skip my response to the substance of your comments. However, I did want to mention that the point of this issue is that this agent was cleared by 2 internal review boards before a third decided he should be prosecuted. From the information I have read (and that is somewhat limited), there is no grounds besides a verbal complaint for the case and he still went to jail for 2 years. Keep in mind, the person alleging the complaint got caught with something like 150 lbs of pot. On top of that, his family was billed 6k.

It's not about whether Mexicans are getting through, but about the prosecution of a man for doing his job and enforcing the law.

The article wasn't quite clear on this $6,000. Was that a fine on the agent as well as jail time?

So the guy did something he wasn't supposed to and part of the penalty was a fine?

One of those things being that Holder still is running the justice department. He is obviously in over his head and simply there to further political goals as opposed to upholding the countries laws.

Back
Top Bottom