• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fukushima plant crisis could erupt

DaveFagan

Iconoclast
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
If water injection stops for 38 hours. The same article said in most cases water flow could be restored in 3 hours, and this was assuming a second major earthquake/tsunami.

It's not a threat now.
The injected water is treated to remove the cesium.
What?
The government of Japan is backing them up.

If water injection stops for 38 hours. The same article said in most cases water flow could be restored in 3 hours, and this was assuming a second major earthquake/tsunami.

It's not a threat now.
The injected water is treated to remove the cesium.
What?
The government of Japan is backing them up.

It certainly is a threat, and that is the why for the post.
And what happens to the water after the cesium is removed?
"The government of Japan is backing them up." Ah yes! Any corporate nuke problems become the taxpayers liability or am I misreading that quote? I say any corporate nuke problems because they only remain corporate while their profits support them and then they become our (taxpayer) problem. I do not see leftover fuel rods at any corporate nuke site as producing a profit to maintain its own care and feeding.

This is worrisome because here in California we have the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station that has been here since Jan. 1, 1968 and it's almost on the beech.

That reactor was decommissioned in 1992 but there are two still in operation.

They say there are safe but so were the ones in Japan supposedly. I don't appose the reactors but I would rather say screw the rats, bugs and lizards, and let's build Solar plants in the deserts.

Few people live there I know having spend over twenty years in the California and Arizona deserts.

Wind power is also great with the new innovations that can almost triple the output of those generators.

As to worries about birds. I lived less than two miles from a mess of wind generators near Palm Springs and there were more birds there than place I ever lived.

This all needs to be done logically.

This is worrisome because here in California we have the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station that has been here since Jan. 1, 1968 and it's almost on the beech.

That reactor was decommissioned in 1992 but there are two still in operation.

They say there are safe but so were the ones in Japan supposedly. I don't appose the reactors but I would rather say screw the rats, bugs and lizards, and let's build Solar plants in the deserts.

Few people live there I know having spend over twenty years in the California and Arizona deserts.

Wind power is also great with the new innovations that can almost triple the output of those generators.

As to worries about birds. I lived less than two miles from a mess of wind generators near Palm Springs and there were more birds there than place I ever lived.

This all needs to be done logically.

Very very cool. If a windmill experiences a major meltdown it...falls over?

You know - what's the worst case scenario we could be facing? Worldwide devastation or more localized? (and I know they're not saying this is imminent - but I am curious)

Well, how about hundreds of abandoned nuke sites with radioactive fuel rods and contaminated buildings and equipment. Corporations bankrupt, so it is your grandchildren's grandchildren's children and beyond who do the remediation. Leakages into aquifers, already ongoing, amplified. The profits that these abominations are generating today are long gone into Corporate coffers and Corporate bonuses, among other things. No responsibility because it's Corporate and Corporations are formed to insulate from liability. I don't like it and this is not a business that should be insulated from liability. Enough sun falls on the state of Texas every day to power the whole world. If we fail to participate harmoniously with Mother Earth, we will perish. It's not rocket science. It's common sense. "Believed to have solidified." Do you realize that statement says
"We don't know for sure, it's a best guess."

"The estimate said the temperature of the fuel, now believed to have solidified at the bottom of the reactors' pressure vessels, would rise about 50 C each hour and reach its melting point of 2,200 C in about 38 hours."

Last edited:
It certainly is a threat, and that is the why for the post.

And what happens to the water after the cesium is removed?

... dumped back in the ocean? Does it matter? After the cesium is gone, the radiation dissipates rapidly.

"The government of Japan is backing them up." Ah yes! Any corporate nuke problems become the taxpayers liability or am I misreading that quote? I say any corporate nuke problems because they only remain corporate while their profits support them and then they become our (taxpayer) problem. I do not see leftover fuel rods at any corporate nuke site as producing a profit to maintain its own care and feeding.

Well, how about hundreds of abandoned nuke sites with radioactive fuel rods and contaminated buildings and equipment. Corporations bankrupt, so it is your grandchildren's grandchildren's children and beyond who do the remediation. Leakages into aquifers, already ongoing, amplified. The profits that these abominations are generating today are long gone into Corporate coffers and Corporate bonuses, among other things. No responsibility because it's Corporate and Corporations are formed to insulate from liability. I don't like it and this is not a business that should be insulated from liability. Enough sun falls on the state of Texas every day to power the whole world. If we fail to participate harmoniously with Mother Earth, we will perish. It's not rocket science. It's common sense. "Believed to have solidified." Do you realize that statement says

"The estimate said the temperature of the fuel, now believed to have solidified at the bottom of the reactors' pressure vessels, would rise about 50 C each hour and reach its melting point of 2,200 C in about 38 hours."

How about if an asteroid hits every nuke plant at once?
Why would nuclear plants ever stop being profitable? The demand for electricity will never go away. Proceeds from electrical generation go towards storage of spent fuel rods. (which, incidentally, are not that dangerous)

Yes. Believed to be solidified. They aren't totally sure because it's suicidal to climb in there and poke your finger into it. It's a serious situation but it has been contained. This article is just fearmongering and you've bought it hook, like, and sinker. Nuclear power isn't nearly as dangerous as people think it is.

Here's a question for you:
In this, literally the worst double-whammy of natural disasters to ever strike a nuclear power plant, how many people have died as a result?

Last edited:
... dumped back in the ocean? Does it matter? After the cesium is gone, the radiation dissipates rapidly.

How about if an asteroid hits every nuke plant at once?
Why would nuclear plants ever stop being profitable? The demand for electricity will never go away. Proceeds from electrical generation go towards storage of spent fuel rods. (which, incidentally, are not that dangerous)

Yes. Believed to be solidified. They aren't totally sure because it's suicidal to climb in there and poke your finger into it. It's a serious situation but it has been contained. This article is just fearmongering and you've bought it hook, like, and sinker. Nuclear power isn't nearly as dangerous as people think it is.

Here's a question for you:
In this, literally the worst double-whammy of natural disasters to ever strike a nuclear power plant, how many people have died as a result?

Radiation kills. That's a 20km swath around Fukushima. The fish are radioactive way off the coast. Now rice has been contaminated many miles away. Plutonium and strontium found 50 km away. They barely contained the problem. It was real close to burning to the center of the earth. Fearmongering my ass, just acknowledging the realities those with vested interests would rather not publicize.

Last edited:
Radiation kills. That's a 20km swath around Fukushima. The fish are radioactive way off the coast. Now rice has been contaminated many miles away. Plutonium and strontium found 50 km away. They barely contained the problem. It was real close to burning to the center of the earth. Fearmongering my ass, just acknowledging the realities those with vested interests would rather not publicize.

What are you talking about? What they dumped in the ocean has a very short shelf life that can't harm anything by now.

As for burning to the center of the earth I have no idea what the **** that is going on about.

Burning to the center of the earth. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I was going to attempt to explain to you about how being "radioactive" is not inherently dangerous, but then I read that.

You are radioactive. Right now. No, literally. You radiate.

Three of the reactors have melted fuel rods, meltdown! The melted rods settled to the bottom of the reactor core and start eating through the super stainless reactor vessel, quickly. If they don't keep the water flowing they will eat throught the reactor vessels. Then through the concrete containment vessel, all happening at this feared super high temperatures. These temps boil water away quickly, so that is the big demand for water. After the concrete, it just eats through the earth, much easier. As for that short term radioactivity, when the fish eat something in the area they are irradiated. When caught, there is a measurable increase in the fish radioactivity. Ergo, no doubt, the law will be changed by Corporate to allow more radioactive fish.

Hahaha @ the radioactive fish corporate mandate push

When are people gonna get over this, man? It's done. It wasn't even that significant. In terms of damage and human suffering, it's completely eclipsed by the tsunami itself. But since it includes the dirty N-word, everyone is still freaking out.

You know - what's the worst case scenario we could be facing? Worldwide devastation or more localized? (and I know they're not saying this is imminent - but I am curious)

The very worst case possible is Chernobyl, and there's essentially no way there could be a repeat of that. It was a combination of terrible safety standards, poor training, idiocy, and sheer bad luck.

You do realize that the center of the Earth is just about the safest possible place you could put radioactive waste, right? Did you think it was gonna blow up the planet or something? This isn't Dune.

When are people gonna get over this, man? It's done. It wasn't even that significant. In terms of damage and human suffering, it's completely eclipsed by the tsunami itself. But since it includes the dirty N-word, everyone is still freaking out.

The dumps from other sources was by far worse than this. Those dumps are just ignored completely because of hype about how horrible the nuclear disaster was.

The very worst case possible is Chernobyl, and there's essentially no way there could be a repeat of that. It was a combination of terrible safety standards, poor training, idiocy, and sheer bad luck.

They were experimenting on the reactors, and built the plant like a pile of sticks.

Last edited:
I doubt it. The Fukushima has been very much exaggerated, very much typical of the pundits and the media. Only 3 people died from the radiation (they all died because they were workers trying the fix the plant when the disaster happened), and there are no nuclear disaster. Every second, every day, every week, every month that passes, people realize that Fukushima is just another overblown, exaggerated story by the media.
Get over it

I doubt it. The Fukushima has been very much exaggerated, very much typical of the pundits and the media. Only 3 people died from the radiation (they all died because they were workers trying the fix the plant when the disaster happened), and there are no nuclear disaster. Every second, every day, every week, every month that passes, people realize that Fukushima is just another overblown, exaggerated story by the media.
Get over it

Actually one person died from the earthquake and two others got killed by the tsunami at the plants. No one got killed when they were dealing with the problems at the plants.

It should be noted that the only reason Japan called the disaster a seven is from international pressures. It was never a seven by any imagination.

Last edited:
Actually one person died from the earthquake and two others got killed by the tsunami at the plants. No one got killed when they were dealing with the problems at the plants.

It should be noted that the only reason Japan called the disaster a seven is from international pressures. It was never a seven by any imagination.

Thanks for the correction. I just saw the figure 3 from an article somewhere, but thanks anyway

Are you trying to make a point besides "the sky is falling"?

Core meltdown is a seven. They denied that for weeks. Now I know these Nuke companies all over the world are not famous for lying, or are they? It is as serious as it gets and it doesn't go away. It's not the common cold. I'm not trying to scare anyone but just acknowledge the realities of Nuclear power to turn a profit and then there's the downside. Isn't it obvious why they are uninsurable?

Back
Top Bottom