• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iran says could deploy navy near U.S. coast: report

oh.......please...pleaase send your ships close to the coast of New York City!!

that would be an awesome fireworks show as we annihilate their Navy.

Well Iran... I'd say you're odds are good :lamo :lamo :lamo

navy-fleet.jpg

Iran rattles its sabers fairly regularly. I seriously doubt they would put their navy in harm's way because they need it to protect their homeland. If it sails close the US eastern border they may find themselves without a navy.

nations that are going to send ships to attack us don't announce it.

and countries that don't like us just buy us with oil, cheap goods, or debt. using military force would be the dumbest way imaginable to attack America.

Easy folks...I posted this more as a joke thread...lol...I view iran as a joke

Iran would never dare...

The camels would get tired after swimming so far.

camel_swim.jpg

I hope they bring their life jackets.

Iran has a navy?

Iran has, in fact, two navies.

I looks like they do have two navies:
Navy #1: Islamic Republic of Iran Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Navy #2: Navy of the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Navy #2 isn't a "blue water" navy. They'd never make it here. Most of Navy #1 isn't blue water either.

Well, if they're interested in decommissioning their aging frigates (small ships), all five of them, by sending them to Davey Jones, I'm sure the USN will oblige.

the United States Navy has fewer ships now than at any point since WWI. Just sayin.

Is it leaner and meaner....or is it smaller in terms of ability

the United States Navy has fewer ships now than at any point since WWI. Just sayin.

We have individual cruisers that could take on the entire blue-water capability of Iran's "navy."

We could let the Coast Guard handle this one, no need to bother the Navy.

We could let the Coast Guard handle this one, no need to bother the Navy.

I was thinking Old Navy.

Yes. The clothing line.

They said near, which makes me think they are probably not lying. Cuba or Venezuela are plausible allies that might be willing to host an Iranian navy presence.

do they have any blue-water capability whatsoever? or are they just talking smack without being able to back it up...

On paper, they could back it up:
List of current ships of the Iranian Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They have 3 British-built Vosper Mk5 type Frigates (small warships) and 1 Iranian copy (a second copy is due to be launched in 2012) for a total of four. These would certainly be blue-water ships. They have 2 corvettes (smaller than Frigates) that may or may not be capable of blue-water operations. Corvettes are almost always used for coastal patrol. Their greatest threat are 3 Kilo-class, ex-soviet subs. These can definitely make it across an ocean. But they are very old. Most, if not all, of Russia's Kilos are swinging at anchor, unable to move. Russia cannot afford to keep them maintained so who can say about Iran?

The rest of Iran's "navy" are patrol boats that cannot make trans-oceanic journeys.

Theoretically, Iran could send 9 ships to the US. But there are complications. Iran has no UNREP (Underway Replenishment) capability like the USN does. They would need to find friendly ports along the way to take on provisions. Hugo Chavez would almost certainly help. Cuba might, it's hard to say. US relations with Cuba have been "polite" if not friendly. At the height of his power Castro would've helped for certain. Since taking over for his brother Fidel, Raul may want to maintain cordial relations with the US and refuse a port for Iran.

Fuel is not the main problem for Iran. Water and food for the crews are the biggest problems for ocean-going ships. Iran's navy isn't used to such long-range voyages. Also, making that trip during hurricane season would be a major eye-opener for them. I expect their crews have never experienced the power of an angry Atlantic.

Iran would be lucky to make it whole distance. And they could "show the flag" for propaganda purposes, but their violently seasick, starved, and dehydrated crews would be in no shape to fight a Cub Scout Row Boat Club, much less the United States Navy.

Back
Top Bottom