• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have You Ever Run for Public Office?

Have You Ever Run for Public Office?

• Once--elected

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twice--not elected either time

• Twice--elected once

• Three times--never elected

• Three times--elected once

• Three times--elected twice

• Other (specify)

• Total voters

ronpaulvoter

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Have you ever run for any public office? If so, what and when?

explored the idea a few years back...I consulted with some experienced campaign managers even.

i'm not "electable", as it turns out, so i gave up on it..... thank god.

I am thinking about in the future trying to run for a local office.

I'm barely 18, so no. But possibly in the future. Who knows?

I ran for state legislature in Georgia. Lost by 425 votes. It was a while back. I now live in Virginia.

I ran for a county commission seat in Athens-Clarke County Georgia. Lost to John Barrow, who is now in the U.S. House of Representatives.

I never have and probably never will. The costs seem much larger than the benefits. Public office (at any level of government) seems like a completely thankless job that will pay you poorly, eat up all your time, cause you unnecessary stress, and earn you plenty of enemies. And you'll rarely have total freedom to enact your agenda anyway, because you'll have lots of pushback from various interests. Even if you did have total freedom to enact your agenda, that would probably indicate that the voters overwhelmingly agree with your views anyway...which means that ANYONE with those views could win.

So yeah...it doesn't sound like a fun time. :(

Last edited:
No, i get nervous when I do public speaking. I thought about it, sticking to my principles and hope people like me for it. But I don't think that wins elections now in days.

Last edited:
Have you ever run for any public office? If so, what and when?
No, no but I had a political appointment before (non-paid). I suggest that everyone should volunteer to serve on a local board or committee in their area. While it's often pretty discouraging to see how politics work, it's also rewarding to try to make a difference and a necessary part of any citizen's education.

Back
Top Bottom