• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sex and Drugs

Sex without Love? Legalize weed?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Just read a blog on Psychology Today by Robert Kurzban that piqued my interest. He conducted a survey of 1000 people trying to find the **** that correlated with opinions on recreational drugs staying illegal. The single best corrolate he found was a person’s views on sex without love. I’m curious to see if I can corroborate his findings in an informal poll.

How do you feel about legalizing marijuana for recreational use, and how do you feel about sex without love?

Me? I'm obviously for legalization, and although I can't remember the last time I had sex without love, I've got nothing against it.

I'm skeptical of this correlation. I'm not big into pot but I have tried it together with my partner, and it only made us closer and more connected.

Sex without love is a concept in one's mind and heart, and it's one that an entheogen can help you transform if that's what you want to do.

I also object to the term "recreational use". That has never been my relationship with any entheogen. Nothing about it is recreational. It's always a learning experience and engaging in a different perspective.

:aliens3:Sex and drugs and money is out of this world add in a little music.

I voted sex without love is ok and we should legalize weed.

Sex has a lot of purposes. Expression of romantic love is but one of them. To say someone's sexual experiences are wrong or false because they didn't involve romantic love is honestly pretty ignorant considering the full scope of human sexuality and all the different and very important things it can mean or teach you - with or without romantic love.

As far as weed, I honestly do not understand why anyone would want to keep it illegal. I mean, let's look at reality here.
1. It hasn't prevented anyone who wants to from using it - over 100 million Americans have used marijuana. That's about a third of the total population, and almost half the adult population.
2. It's easier for minors to get weed than it is alcohol, because obviously there is no market regulation and a dealer doesn't care if you're 16 or 60 - what they're doing is equally illegal either way, so why should they? Prohibition makes it EASIER for people to get it.
3. It's less harmful and less addictive than alcohol, which is a socially and legally accepted recreational drug.
4. We waste a crapload of resources chasing around pot heads sitting around and watching a movie, but in some cities it takes half an hour to get the police to respond to a violent mugging.

In short, it's ridiculous and ineffective. And I say this as someone who doesn't smoke pot.

I don't smoke and never will. In fact, no one will ever smoke weed in my house with knowledge (my husband is completely against legalization, and if I catch my children smoking it, while they live with me, legal or not, they will be in huge trouble). I do think that weed should be legal and regulated, just like cigarettes are. Seems like a good way to me to cut down on money spent convicting people for charges of possession of weed and earn money through taxes for states, if not the fed.

I also think sex without love is okay, but I don't think it is for everyone. I also believe that both parties should be of the understanding that that is what it is. Unfortunately, this is usually not the case. Of course, I am also for legalization and regulation of prostitution, which is pretty much inherently sex without love (exceptions do happen though I guess).

I voted for the last option.... "Sex without love is wrong; Weed should stay illegal." My real view is sex outside of a committed, long-term relationship is wrong, since I really don't believe in romantic love, but that's as close as the four options came to what I believe in.

whether or not "sex without love" is right or wrong is a completely subjective debate.

As for weed, yes legalize it. Though i personally would never smoke it.

I'll go for the hippy answer: Share the love, pass the weed.

I mean, I don't smoke the stuff, but I won't slight someone for smoking it.

Two separate issues...obviously. I am for legalizing marijuana. I think in someone that is not looking for a partnered relationship, responsible and mutual casual sex is all good. I think casual sex while developing a partnered relationship is a bad thing. Not sure what that does to voting trends.

Just read a blog on Psychology Today by Robert Kurzban that piqued my interest. He conducted a survey of 1000 people trying to find the **** that correlated with opinions on recreational drugs staying illegal. The single best corrolate he found was a person’s views on sex without love. I’m curious to see if I can corroborate his findings in an informal poll.

How do you feel about legalizing marijuana for recreational use, and how do you feel about sex without love?

Me? I'm obviously for legalization, and although I can't remember the last time I had sex without love, I've got nothing against it.

What meaning did they ascribe to their findings? This is important as scientists have found that the concept of "love" is difficult to pinpoint .. some people can think they are in love simply because of chemical reactions. Some cultures consider love to happen immediately, some think it happens over time. How did they operationally define the concept of love in their study? It makes all the difference in terms of interpreting the results. It seems like their finding is trying to hint that people who see nothing wrong with drugs also see nothing wrong with recreational sex .. is that correct? While those who support neither do not support any kind of hedonism?

Back
Top Bottom