View Poll Results: Is America finished as a republic?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 23.81%
  • I guess so

    3 14.29%
  • I don't know

    3 14.29%
  • I guess not

    0 0%
  • No

    10 47.62%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 75 of 75

Thread: Is America finished as a republic?

  1. #71
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,500

    Re: Is America finished as a republic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Yes, because currently America is not a republic. Hopefully that will change in the future.
    A Corpacrocy rarely is a Republic.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is America finished as a republic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Interesting. I see problems with both requirements, like setting up new bureaucracies to administrate and how do disabled citizens satisfy requirements.
    Depends on the disability.
    A physical disability could allow for waiver or something not definitely demanding.
    Mental, depends entirely on the ability of the person.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    How would the congress be chosen? I don't understand what mechanism would ensure parity?
    So each party gets a seat or a limited and equal council of seats, Dem party seat(s), Republican seat(s), Socialist seat(s), so on and so forth.

    The representative of each seat is elected by their party members.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Everyone votes their own self interest. I don't see how that is unethical. What we have now is kind of a free market approach to government, no? Of course it's completely mucked up by corporate money and influence. I would support reforms that would take corporate money out of our elections by publicly funding candidates. Period. No outside money of any kind. No 527's or what have you either. No soft money. That would eliminate the bought and paid for politician.

    I think anyone who cares enough about government to actually vote, should have a voice in it. so I can't agree with what you've put forward, but it's an interesting discussion. Thank you.
    Voting for your self interest, which can harm another, is unethical.
    Whether it be in monetary terms or otherwise.

    We wouldn't be ok if a judge and jury accepted bribes to vote a certain way in a criminal or civil case.

    It should be the same for elections.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #73
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,500

    Re: Is America finished as a republic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    Voting for your self interest, which can harm another, is unethical.
    I'd say that to be true for elected officials. I think that its necessary for a person to vote their "own conscience" at the polls. Self interests are hard to separate from common interests or collective interests at times.

    Even if people were voting for a candidate out of self interest, I'm not sure how that actually harms another because as for many voters, there could be as many self interest. The likelihood would be slim to none at that degree, but people who see the actions of a political figure hurting them personally... We are a vengeful bunch. That's why parties are voted in like ping pong balls batter across the net.

    So in the end, I'm not sure where the unethical part comes in.

    I'd say that people who are worried about harming others when they vote...might even lean toward being a socialist or maybe communist. People in this nation just aren't conditions to think about the whole society. It's all about individualism. Its about ME! ME! ME! That's the American way.

    Isn't that the reason our welfare system has gotten into such a mess?

  4. #74
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is America finished as a republic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    I'd say that to be true for elected officials. I think that its necessary for a person to vote their "own conscience" at the polls. Self interests are hard to separate from common interests or collective interests at times.

    Even if people were voting for a candidate out of self interest, I'm not sure how that actually harms another because as for many voters, there could be as many self interest. The likelihood would be slim to none at that degree, but people who see the actions of a political figure hurting them personally... We are a vengeful bunch. That's why parties are voted in like ping pong balls batter across the net.

    So in the end, I'm not sure where the unethical part comes in.

    I'd say that people who are worried about harming others when they vote...might even lean toward being a socialist or maybe communist. People in this nation just aren't conditions to think about the whole society. It's all about individualism. Its about ME! ME! ME! That's the American way.

    Isn't that the reason our welfare system has gotten into such a mess?
    Short term self interest, definitely the problem.
    It doesn't require much more thought than, what's in it for me.
    This is unethical, whether it is purposeful or not.

    Long term self interest requires intelligence and considerations for the negative side effects of legislation.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #75
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,500

    Re: Is America finished as a republic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Short term self interest, definitely the problem.
    It doesn't require much more thought than, what's in it for me.
    This is unethical, whether it is purposeful or not.

    Long term self interest requires intelligence and considerations for the negative side effects of legislation.
    Harry, I agree somewhat with your comment. I threw in a pretty big dose of sarcasm, which was a bit much, I guess. But my slightly exaggerated point...what you posted is probably the way it should be, but I think that the culture of politics has derailed common sense, honesty for many, the foundation of what it means to be a Republic... It's a mess.

    Thanks for your comment. Sorry I used your post for as a spring board or sounding board to voice my frustrations. My apologies.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •