View Poll Results: What is your political identity?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liberal democrat

    17 27.87%
  • Non-liberal democrat

    3 4.92%
  • Conservative republican

    5 8.20%
  • Non-conservative republican

    2 3.28%
  • Socialist

    6 9.84%
  • Other --- Please explain

    19 31.15%
  • Independent Libertarian

    5 8.20%
  • Don't care

    1 1.64%
  • Communist

    0 0%
  • Freak

    3 4.92%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: What is your political Stance?

  1. #41
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: What is your political Stance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    Ewww. I actually agree with you on most of this. My only caveats is that I have no objection to Federal laws mandating social values, but the Conservatives' social values are borked, and that it isn't capitalism that causes boom-bust cycles but the process of market speculation.
    I personally have conservative values, (importance of marriage, abstaining from drugs, etc). but it is unconstitutional and tyrannical to force them on anyone else. I would say the same for anyone who forced any social values. I believe that market speculation is a vital component of capitalism, but I disagree that it causes the boom-bust cycle. But at least on the other points we have common ground. It is always easier to talk to someone if you agree on something.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  2. #42
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: What is your political Stance?

    I voted other, I am a moderate republican.

  3. #43
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: What is your political Stance?

    I voted other. I chose to not adopt a political philosophy and I take each issue as it's own with its own unique solution. When it comes to healthcare I am very liberal/progressive. When it comes to fiscal spending I would say I am more "conservative" in that I want lower taxes and less spending. However, I would not portion the spending according to conservative ideals. I support same sex marriage. I oppose the death penalty and I am very pro-life.

    I don't adopt a political philosophy and apply it to all/most issues, I go the opposite way. I take the issues as their own and apply to them a belief that I believe is best for solving that issue.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #44
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: What is your political Stance?

    When it comes to healthcare I am very liberal/progressive. When it comes to fiscal spending I would say I am more "conservative" in that I want lower taxes and less spending.
    How would you fund a huge government healthcare program if you want less spending and taxes? I don't necessarily disagree with your issue by issue method, but that often leads to inconsistency, which is hard to explain.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: What is your political Stance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    How would you fund a huge government healthcare program if you want less spending and taxes? I don't necessarily disagree with your issue by issue method, but that often leads to inconsistency, which is hard to explain.
    A government healthcare program does not equal more taxes, and increased spending, it depends on what else the government is doing, and what the program entails.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: What is your political Stance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    How would you fund a huge government healthcare program if you want less spending and taxes? I don't necessarily disagree with your issue by issue method, but that often leads to inconsistency, which is hard to explain.
    I would reform how healthcare is administered. As it is way pay too much for healthcare services anyway. I believe how healthcare is administered now is very inefficient.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #47
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: What is your political Stance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Are you a liberal or conservative, etc?
    Technically, I'm a neopaleoprogressivist. According to your poll, however, I voted myself as a non-conservative Republican.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Why?
    Because I feel that it's the best of both worlds. My philosophy is that our world is full of competing interests all vying for resources that each organization and person try to secure for itself for their own well-being.

    So by having government forces compete with corporate forces I believe that individual people are able to live better lives.

    Another part of my philosophy is something I call "organization psychology." That is the psychology of organizations.

    I think that for-profit businesses have only one goal - to exploit resources in order to make profit. Also, the larger and further removed the executives of a business are from the consequences of their actions the more likely they are to use hurtful or abusive practices to gain a profit. Small businesses are closer to the consequences of their actions, and so are more empathetic to their employees and customers. Large businesses, however, are less empathetic to their employees and customers because of their large sizes and the sheer number of people they employ makes it near impossible to treat every employee and customer with a level of intimacy. Large businesses don't care how they treat their employees or their customers - only how they profit matters.

    Please note that this isn't a criticism of businesses. It's just an honest assessment of their purpose as an organization.

    However, this would put businesses along the lines of the "Id" according to Freudian psychology. Rather than the pleasure principle, however, businesses operate according to the profit principle. And so long as a business makes a profit they care little about the consequences of their actions in acquiring a profit.

    Because businesses, especially large businesses, can perform hurtful practices in the pursuit of profit they require some way to enforce empathy upon them in order to regulate their behavior. That is they need a "super-ego" to provide a structure of behavior that will ensure they act with good faith for their employees, their customers, and people in general.

    So, in this way, businesses can do their purpose - exploit resources done by employees and provided to customers for a profit - regulated by the government - who ensures that the exploitation that businesses do are not overly hurtful or abusive to individuals.

    So mostly neopaleoprogressivism states that the best form of government is the kind that regulates businesses. However, personally, I agree that there are some functions - such as our penal system, the military, and emergency services - that are best done by the government regardless.

    The reason why I consider myself a non-conservative Republican is because I believe in many of the interests of the Republican Party. That is I believe in entrepreneurship and the importance of business That's why I'm a Republican.

    However, I'm non-conservative because I don't hold that the government is adversarial towards businesses. After all, as a business owner I need to hire employees with a basic education. Therefore I should support public education. Also as a business owner I need my employees to be healthy. Therefore I need to ensure they have access to adequate health care and that food safety regulations are in place. As a business owner I also need good roads to allow goods and customers to flow, so I support transportation infrastructure of all kinds.

    Basically, as a business owner I don't mind government regulations on businesses, as I realize that my business is a customer to other businesses, and therefore as a customer I require protections and therefore benefit by regulations on other businesses. Hence why I'm a non-conservative Republican.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    What makes your stance better than others?
    My stance is more practical than ideological. As I said before it doesn't put me in an adversarial position to government but rather to a supporter of government. My business benefits from government regulations and programs. Therefore I should not oppose the government purely on ideological grounds. Rather I should ensure that the government benefits my business interests and pay taxes to ensure that the government does so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Do you percieve any flaws in your stance?
    Others may not like the fact that I don't take a hard line on stances. Also, while government should regulate businesses I don't think the government should regulate everything. Therefore statements about this philosophy may cause others to go off the rails. Also, my philosophy pre-supposes that groups with work together to try to find mutual self-interest - when conflicting groups work together to come to a compromise instead of exclusive self-interest - when conflicting groups demand only their own best self-interest without compromise. All too often we get the latter rather than the former.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Which one specific aspect of the other political identities do you abhor?
    I abhor extreme libertarianism. Oh, I understand the appeal to it, and to some degree I even appreciate it. However I don't think that the points of libertarians are realistic. It pre-supposes that people, businesses, and organizations are always rational actors - and people, businesses, and organizations usually aren't. Therefore, all their models tend to be drastically off.

    I admit, there's a few specific things about libertarianism I agree with, but for the most part I am against the whole of the philosophy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Thank you.
    You're welcome.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #48
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: What is your political Stance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Are you a liberal or conservative, etc?
    A Libertarian

    Why?
    Because I want to be left alone and Im not a busy body.

    What makes your stance better than others?
    Because I dont advocate harassment of others by the state and believe that the state is neither a nanny or a teacher.

    Do you perceive any flaws in your stance?


    Which one specific aspect of the other political identities do you abhor?
    Neoconservative - always believe that the newest Muslim despot or some random Muslim guy is the next Hitler and we have the murder and kill other Muslims just to be sure. In addition the continuation of supporting theft (foreign aid, global welfare). Follows the logic that those who wear a badge are automatically right

    Paleoconservative - supporting anti-free market policies who disguise it under the banner of nationalism aka Protectionism

    Economic Liberalism - See the first two and supporting theft under the guise of "helping people"
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  9. #49
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: What is your political Stance?

    Are you a liberal or conservative, etc?
    I am an Democratic socialist who believes in participatory democracy, workplace democracy, syndicalism, and worker co-ops.

    Why?
    Because i believe in social justice, equality, and a more just society, which gives the people more power and more say in their government and workplace.

    What makes your stance better than others?
    Justice and people power.

    Do you percieve any flaws in your stance?
    Yes. Every system has flaws.
    But i see that sometimes not the right choice will be made.

    Which one specific aspect of the other political identities do you abhor?
    How conservatives believe that they somehow know everything the founding fathers wanted and believe that this document called the constitution was somehow the greatest thing ever written even tho it has been amended 26 times.

    Thank you.


  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    426

    Re: What is your political Stance?

    Are you a liberal or conservative, etc?

    I would have to say 'Other'

    Why?

    Because choosing a mode of thinking sounds like rigid thinking. The best way to be to any situation is open-minded and willing to try what is needed based on the situation at hand.

    What makes your stance better than others?

    Having a stance is like having a shape and trying to fit it into a problem who shape shifts constantly. Better to be flexible and receptive.

    Do you perceive any flaws in your stance?

    I know there are, but I haven't thought of any...

    Which one specific aspect of the other political identities do you abhor?

    The inability to truly accommodate another opinion or thought. People come to the table ready to defend their idea and it is a struggle to actually consider the idea of another without an 'under siege' mentality

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •