View Poll Results: If He does not follow the law, will you support a call for His impeachment?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 76.19%
  • No, because...

    5 23.81%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: If The Obama does not follow the War Powers Act

  1. #21
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: If The Obama does not follow the War Powers Act

    Question: If the polls show that the majority feel like Obama should get authorization from the legislature to continue in Lybia, do you think he'll go after it at that point? That is, will he wait it out until it's politically expedient to do so?
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  2. #22
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: If The Obama does not follow the War Powers Act

    I started reading the war power act and a bunch to go. It is not a simple document. It has a lot of ‘ifs’ and not well defined terms. No wonder it’s been hard to stop any president from taking any military action. An example is the 1st bush action in Kuwait.

  3. #23
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: If The Obama does not follow the War Powers Act

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    In theory. If He refused?
    Well, maybe then. If he defied the Supreme Court, he'd be guilty of contempt. But I see no reason to expect it to come to that. Obama has no desire to stake the entire future of his presidency on an ill-conceived gamble in Libya. If the matter is brought to the court, they'll probably order him to cease and desist, he will do so, and that will be the end of it.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: If The Obama does not follow the War Powers Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Well, maybe then. If he defied the Supreme Court, he'd be guilty of contempt.
    What's he guilty of if He fails to conform to the specifications of the WPA?
    How is that not similarly impeachable?

  5. #25
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: If The Obama does not follow the War Powers Act

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    What's he guilty of if He fails to conform to the specifications of the WPA?
    How is that not similarly impeachable?
    Because I think that presidential impeachment should be reserved for the most blatant abuses when there is no alternative. Contempt of court would qualify under certain circumstances. Violating the WPA, although a power grab for which Obama should be ashamed, need not merit impeachment when a court injunction telling him to stop will suffice. Obama hasn't done anything nearing the level of impeachment yet.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: If The Obama does not follow the War Powers Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Because I think that impeachment should be reserved for the most blatant abuses.
    Waging war against the wishes of Congress isn't a blatant abuse of power?
    Why then even bother with the WPA - or the power to declare war?

    Just so you know, I think the WPA is unconstitutional - but it's there, and until such a time as it is struck or upheld, it needs to be followed.

  7. #27
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: If The Obama does not follow the War Powers Act

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    Just so you know, I think the WPA is unconstitutional
    Another good reason not to resort to impeachment. While I disagree with your assessment of the WPA's constitutionality, the fact is that there are a good many people who agree with you that it's unconstitutional, and a good many more who aren't sure if Obama has actually violated it. I think that level of ambiguity alone is sufficient reason to rule out impeachment. Again, the impeachment of a president should be reserved for the most blatant, open-and-shut cases where no one can seriously dispute that the president knowingly violated the law IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe
    and until such a time as it is struck or upheld, it needs to be followed.
    I agree. That's why there should be a lawsuit so that the Supreme Court can issue an injunction telling him to stop.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-24-11 at 05:42 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: If The Obama does not follow the War Powers Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Another good reason not to resort to impeachment. While I disagree with your assessment of the WPA's constitutionality, the fact is that there are a good many people who agree with you that it's unconstitutional, and a good many more who aren't sure if Obama has actually violated it. I think that level of ambiguity alone is sufficient reason to rule out impeachment. Again, the impeachment of a president should be reserved for the most blatant, open-and-shut cases where no one can seriously dispute that the president knowingly violated the law IMO.

    I agree. That's why there should be a lawsuit so that the Supreme Court can issue an injunction telling him to stop.
    Excellent commentary - but you didn't answer my questions.

  9. #29
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: If The Obama does not follow the War Powers Act

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    Waging war against the wishes of Congress isn't a blatant abuse of power?
    Yes, it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe
    Why then even bother with the WPA - or the power to declare war?
    I agree, Obama shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. That hardly necessitates impeachment though.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #30
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: If The Obama does not follow the War Powers Act

    Considering no other President has taken this seriously, no. The act itself is stupid and should be repealed IMO. I never was a fan of it and I think congress should either declare war or nothing.

    By the way, congress has said they support it for the most part. You have both sides of the aisle expressing total support for this pretty much. They just said they aren't bringing to vote this month. It's not like he ordered the military to Kenya to destroy evidence of him being born there.
    Last edited by Gargantuan; 05-24-11 at 08:21 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •