View Poll Results: Would you have the hypothetical life extending treatment?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I have children in real life

    8 14.55%
  • No, and I have children in real life

    9 16.36%
  • Yes, and I have no children in real life

    22 40.00%
  • No, and I have no children in real life

    5 9.09%
  • Unsure or other

    11 20.00%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: Hypothetical Question, No Right Answers

  1. #21
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Hypothetical Question, No Right Answers

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    If such 'treatment' was possible over 99% of the world population would go through it.
    No kidding. Especially if the decision needs to be made before the brain is even mature enough to comprehend the consequences. I know that at 15 I would have totally gone for the cool idea of living for close to 2 centuries over the idea of having kids of my own.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  2. #22
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Hypothetical Question, No Right Answers

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    live longer but without one of the best purposes for living?

    no thanks
    About the time you posted that, my grand-daughter, age 2.5 years, was in my den (yes I know - at this hour!?) yacking and climbing and jabbering, and I thought, my God what a lively little miracle she is! so beautiful. I never would have thought as a teen that I would ever know anything like the love I have experienced in being a father and a grandfather.

    I understand why young people, and even old people, might love this idea, and jump at the chance to live twice as long, and at age 15 I might have signed up for it, too, but I'm sure now I would not want to be 50, or 125, and not know what being a father feels like.

    And I'm damn sure I don't want to feel middle aged and old for twice the length of time I've already been given.

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: Hypothetical Question, No Right Answers

    Yup. In a second. Remember, the odds are 50/50 that I could still have children if I wanted, but 100% that I would live longer. I like those odds.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #24
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,039

    Re: Hypothetical Question, No Right Answers

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    About the time you posted that, my grand-daughter, age 2.5 years, was in my den (yes I know - at this hour!?) yacking and climbing and jabbering, and I thought, my God what a lively little miracle she is! so beautiful. I never would have thought as a teen that I would ever know anything like the love I have experienced in being a father and a grandfather.
    what a fun and beautiful blessing.

    and well put. A longer life without kids would be... well nearly a punishment. It's like saying you can eat as much as you want, but only rice cakes.

  5. #25
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Hypothetical Question, No Right Answers

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    As a fan of science fiction, I find it fascinating how certain authors look at effects different technologies have. One of my favorites, Lois Bujold does this alot with life sciences. I very indirectly got the idea for this question from her looking at life sciences in the future.

    Imagine a scenario where a treatment is devised that extends the human lifespan by 250 %. Instead of living to an average of 75ish, the new average is 182ish. It does not make you old for a long time, it slows the rate you age, so now you look and feel young for much longer, then feel middle aged alot longer, and so on.

    There is one problem with this treatment. In 50 % of the cases, it will render the person unable to have children. Half of women who undergo this treatment will become barren, half the men will have their sperm count drop to almost nothing. You can still have fun with sex, but their won't be any babies for 50 % of the people. Would you choose to have the treatment? I am further asking if you have children currently, wondering if that effects the results. Assume the treatment needs to be done at a young age()15ish maybe) to fend off the "I would have kids, then have the treatment".
    I voted "Yes, and I have no children in real life."

    If there's a life extension process it's probably better that it reduces the chances of breeding. After all, with more people living longer they would consume more resources. With more people living longer there will be less need for procreation.

    Also, I think more people would volunteer to adopt if they became infertile. Just because I couldn't procreate doesn't mean I couldn't still become a parent.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  6. #26
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,631

    Re: Hypothetical Question, No Right Answers

    No. In an odd way, I found this by accident of research, I discovered I had a similar reaction to it as Leon Kass did (Kass being the head of George W. Bush's Bioethics committee). I think of it as diminished quality of life in comparison with quantity of life. I certainly wouldn't be able to believe I would have a definite answer to the question of how long is long enough, and to what degree am I willing to put up with scientific limitations of consequences, but philosophically, I would not be of mind that extending my life (to that extent or thereabouts) is justification for dramatically reducing the likelihood of producing offspring or going through that lengthy but hopefully rewarding process of raising your own children. To me it would fill emotional, biological, and probably religious needs to have children...so why jeopardize it so severely?

    http://www.tvo.org/podcasts/bi/audio...ss_0x0_40k.mp3
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 05-22-11 at 05:03 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #27
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,039

    Re: Hypothetical Question, No Right Answers

    our birthrate is already below replacement levels - we only really stay at about even keel because we import so many. a significant enough percentage of the population get's this treatment, we will become Greece and Italy - both of whom are pretty much at this point doomed.

  8. #28
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Hypothetical Question, No Right Answers

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    No. In an odd way, I found this by accident of research, I discovered I had a similar reaction to it as Leon Kass did (Kass being the head of George W. Bush's Bioethics committee). I think of it as diminished quality of life in comparison with quantity of life.

    http://www.tvo.org/podcasts/bi/audio...ss_0x0_40k.mp3
    That's kinda what I'm thinking. There's a joke in some Woody Allen movie that sums it up. Two jewish ladies are having dinner at some restaurant and one of them says, "Ick. The food here is terrible." Her companion replies, "Yes, and such small portions!"

    Not that I'm complaining about the food, so to speak, but why do so many choose to stay on 2.5 times longer? Writing that, I wonder what the ideal lifetime length might be to the "yes" voters. 500 years? 1000? When will you have had enough?

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Hypothetical Question, No Right Answers

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Good God no. Live in this world 182 years? Why? Hell, 40 was enough for me. And I'm not even unhappy.
    My sentiments exactly *I'm 52*. My main reason being the concern for natural resources, etc. Where are we all going to live? What will we eat? Unless we're going to build cities underwater or in space, I can't see us becoming a "long-lived" race.

    Edited because even considering the "and no children" bit - what percentage of people would take the magic pill? The rest would all still be having children.
    Last edited by BDBoop; 05-22-11 at 05:00 AM.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: Hypothetical Question, No Right Answers

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    That's kinda what I'm thinking. There's a joke in some Woody Allen movie that sums it up. Two jewish ladies are having dinner at some restaurant and one of them says, "Ick. The food here is terrible." Her companion replies, "Yes, and such small portions!"

    Not that I'm complaining about the food, so to speak, but why do so many choose to stay on 2.5 times longer? Writing that, I wonder what the ideal lifetime length might be to the "yes" voters. 500 years? 1000? When will you have had enough?
    Never enough. Life is too fun, interesting, and there are too many things to try and do to want to leave.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •