View Poll Results: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neither should be banned.

    23 50.00%
  • Both should be banned.

    17 36.96%
  • Only the DUI checkpoint app should be banned.

    1 2.17%
  • Only the Red Light came app should be banned.

    3 6.52%
  • I do not know know/maybe/other

    2 4.35%
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 154

Thread: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

  1. #61
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think that's bull****. First off fines and penalties from using the public roads should be administered by government only. No private business has right to issue tickets on public property like that. Secondly, there should always be the ability to redress the government; particularly for these things. Otherwise it's nothing more than government sanctioned theft. Which is most likely what they want. To be honest, I can see more call for red light cameras than I can DUI checkpoints. I think the checkpoints are clearly an unreasonable search.
    I disagree. You are on a public street. You have no expectation of privacy. I don't know how the work in the States, but I have been pulled over twice at DWI checkpoints in Taiwan and in both cases, the officer asked me a couple of questions (in Mandarin of course) and was surely checking to see if there were any signs I had been drinking. Of course, with a wife and kids in the car, I certainly could not have been regarded as a suspect, and I was allowed to proceed on my way. Total time? Less than one minute in both cases...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand I agree that people have the right to share the information in the case of DUI check points, on the other hand DUI check points serve a much needed function of getting dangerous people off the road.
    Well if thats the basis.......maybe we should have Drivers Ed Checkpoints........and Drug Checkpoints.....Rectal Exam Checkpoints.......24/7 DUI Checkpoints......every 5 blocks.....

    I don't have a problem with red light cams. I don't see how they violate anyone's rights.
    So whats wrong with government just putting the camera in your car?

    I do have a problem with not being able to contest their finding, especially if the cam doesn't photo graph the driver though.
    Do you have a problem with red light cameras causing an increase in Rear end Collisions and creating a more dangerous intersection?

    .........but government told you it was all about "getting those dangerous people off the road".
    ..
    .
    .

  3. #63
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    Well if thats the basis.......maybe we should have Drivers Ed Checkpoints........and Drug Checkpoints.....Rectal Exam Checkpoints.......24/7 DUI Checkpoints......every 5 blocks.....
    So you are against DUI check points?

    And you don't have an expectation of privacy while in public.
    Last edited by xpiher; 05-18-11 at 11:39 PM.

  4. #64
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    So you are against DUI check points?

    And you don't have an expectation of privacy while in public.
    Really? So an officer of the law should be able to ask you to disrobe for a strip search right there on the side of the road? in plain sight? REALLY?
    From the ashes.

  5. #65
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Really? So an officer of the law should be able to ask you to disrobe for a strip search right there on the side of the road? in plain sight? REALLY?
    Not the type of privacy we are talking about. FFS

  6. #66
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think that's bull****. First off fines and penalties from using the public roads should be administered by government only. No private business has right to issue tickets on public property like that. Secondly, there should always be the ability to redress the government; particularly for these things. Otherwise it's nothing more than government sanctioned theft. Which is most likely what they want. To be honest, I can see more call for red light cameras than I can DUI checkpoints. I think the checkpoints are clearly an unreasonable search.
    What he described is basically the way it works. NC has them but are in the process of banning them. One of the main complaints is that no witness to the crime exists. No person can testify regarding the infraction.
    From the ashes.

  7. #67
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Not the type of privacy we are talking about. FFS
    Sure it is. You want to go in my car and look at my private effects with no permission. Depending on what's in a person's car it could be quite embarrassing. How is that different than the strip search scenario? A person walking out of a pawn shop could have weapon hiding in his pants as easily a person leaving a bar is drinking and driving.
    From the ashes.

  8. #68
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Sure it is. You want to go in my car and look at my private effects with no permission. Depending on what's in a person's car it could be quite embarrassing. How is that different than the strip search scenario? A person walking out of a pawn shop could have weapon hiding in his pants as easily a person leaving a bar is drinking and driving.
    I didn't say people should go into your car and look through it, but plain view doctrine holds for privacy laws. If its in plain sight, you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    People who break the law once need to be reminded of the seriousness of breaking it again. Some States require you to take DUI classes before you can obtain your license; that I find ridiculous.
    That indeed is ridiculous. But we jail enough of our population as is, don't need to do so unless that person at the very least caused harm to another. All other things can be handled with fines, probation, and community service.

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    I find your permissiveness neither rational nor reasonable. The current laws are unreasonable, but you would err in the opposite direction.
    That's only because you're thinking about this emotionally. I err on the side of freedom and liberty, always have and always will. I understand the consequences and repercussions of demanding a free society and will accept all burdens and duties gladly. It's much better than the alternative. Drinking and driving does indeed need to be illegal, but the punishments are far too excessive now. Driven by thoughtless argument and appeal to emotion; the things which make for the worst laws. If someone infringes upon the rights and liberties of another, government force may be called into action. A person buzzed driving being pulled over has not hurt anyone or anything, and thus you cannot properly punish them as if they did. You may properly punish someone as if they have caused physical harm to someone if they have caused physical harm to someone. Not some made up notion that all dunks are evil and will kill someone.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #70
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I disagree. You are on a public street. You have no expectation of privacy. I don't know how the work in the States, but I have been pulled over twice at DWI checkpoints in Taiwan and in both cases, the officer asked me a couple of questions (in Mandarin of course) and was surely checking to see if there were any signs I had been drinking. Of course, with a wife and kids in the car, I certainly could not have been regarded as a suspect, and I was allowed to proceed on my way. Total time? Less than one minute in both cases...
    I do in fact have expectation of privacy. Not the full privacy I have in my home, but I am still very much entitled to secure myself, my papers, my property, etc. against unreasonable search and seizure.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •