View Poll Results: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neither should be banned.

    23 50.00%
  • Both should be banned.

    17 36.96%
  • Only the DUI checkpoint app should be banned.

    1 2.17%
  • Only the Red Light came app should be banned.

    3 6.52%
  • I do not know know/maybe/other

    2 4.35%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 154

Thread: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

  1. #131
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,453

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Illegal.
    ....
    How is the statute worded making transparent tape illegal?

    It does not obstruct plain view of the digits so why would it be illegal?

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Really? Is this all you have to come back with?
    Poking holes in every aspect of your argument wasnt enough?

    Your original argument was that the red light cameras create rear end collisions.
    Then you decided to add an element of areas where yellow light durations have been reduced by a city's department of transportation in order to nab more money.
    You see, in this situation, the red light camera system is still what it is, it is the shortening of the yellow light duration that is causing the "harm".

    Intersections become more dangerous when Red Light Cameras are installed......

    .......so what is the purpose behind them again?

    In a situation where a red light camera has been placed in an intersection and a person reacts over-cautiously because of it, It is not the fault of the red light camera. It is the fault of a poor decision on an individual driving a motor vehicle. And this situation holds true if no other changes except the installation of a red light camera system are made. By adding the yellow light reduction factor in, you are essentially moving the goal posts in order to make your point. Yet your original point is still not made, as the red light system, itself, is not the cause of the decreased traffic safety at these intersections
    .

    So the cameras are not the cause.........its just coincidence collisions increase tenfold after they are installed.


    Don't worry, I find that it is pretty standard for people to excuse an incident that is an individual's responsibility in favor of blaming someone else for the problem. I think that is what is wrong with society today.

    The fact is, and refute it however you'd like to try.... A red light camera system is not responsible for a person's poor judgement in slowing down too late/rapidly at a red light. Nor is it responsible for a person slowing down and stopping with several seconds of yellow light to spare, causing the person behind them to rear end them because that person was ready to move through the intersection on a yellow light. These are all choices of the individuals involved, and not the fault of a mechanical system, of which the knowledge of this system may have had a FACTOR in the decision making process.
    And as stated before.........a yellow light with a 1 second duration........and you would still blame the drivers and their poor judgement.
    .
    .
    .
    .

  3. #133
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Neither should be banned. The legal system has no right to tell a private company they can't make an application that compiles user information on where cops generally pull people over, or one that shows where red lights are. This isn't a police state.

  4. #134
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    NC passed a no texting law. Quickly found out that phones are used for lots more than texting. I have GPS on my phone, it's not illegal to enter an address in the GPS. I have to punch numbers to make a call exactly as if I were texting, also not illegal. This led to officers asking to look at the phone and checking text logs. They found out quickly this IS illegal and they can't force a person to surrender their phone. People have a legitimate legal reason to be typing on their phone, so no reasonable suspicion exists. Figure the odds the text would still exist if they waited for a warrant.

    Score one for the freedom lovers.
    Yes. Score one for unsafe drivers!

    However... doing ANYTHING on your phone outside of talking on it is in violation of the statute...

    I suggest you check the statute in NC again.
    Last edited by Caine; 05-19-11 at 10:53 PM.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Doesn't matter. If this is what you are doing, regardless of whether you're texting or entering a GPS code to get to your destination - you are a dangerous driver. As dangerous or MORE dangerous than a drunk driver.

    If you believe that drunk drivers should be arrested and jailed for first-time offenses and NOT those who are fiddling with their phones - then your righteous anger against people who drink and drive is hollow.

    You're excusing one behavior while punishing another.

    And most of you aren't getting my point: I think the punishments for drinking and driving are ridiculous. You have to spend 48 hours in jail, drive on a restricted license, do 24-hours of roadside litter pickup...This is all without having done anyone any harm.

    But do something more dangerous - as proven in multiple studies - and you're only going to get a slight fine. No biggie.

    The only law I would pass, were I to get into the state legislature is that I would make operating a handheld cellphone in any way shape or form punishable equal to a DUI; and same with multiple offenses. I would then leave it up to the people who have passed the draconian laws and fines to then properly adjust things so they make sense and don't treat one driver making a bad decision different from another; when they are equally dangerous on the roads.

    Caine, do you believe in "Texting Road Blocks"?
    No, I don't believe in texting roadblocks. Its an asinine idea.

    You can stop texting... You can't just stop being drunk at will.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #136
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    How is the statute worded making transparent tape illegal?

    It does not obstruct plain view of the digits so why would it be illegal?
    The statute specifically makes it illegal to cover or otherwise conceal or attempt to conceal the registration number plate from view or preventing a the taking of a clear photograph.

    Something along those lines... Its not one I write often so I don't have it memorized.... Maybe when I get to work I'll look it up in my handy little blue book and post the exact citation language from my phone.... BUT NOT WHILE DRIVING!
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    Poking holes in every aspect of your argument wasnt enough?
    You didn't poke holes in my argument.. you CHANGED yours.




    Intersections become more dangerous when Red Light Cameras are installed......

    .......so what is the purpose behind them again?
    Intersections that have their yellow light durations reduced due to a money grab by the department of transportation and city become more dangerous when the YELLOW LIGHT DURATION IS REDUCED. This is an independent act that while associated with the installation of the red light camera, is not the CAUSE of the red light camera ITSELF.
    How is this so hard to understand?


    .

    So the cameras are not the cause.........its just coincidence collisions increase tenfold after they are installed.
    Its called ****ty judgement by individual drivers due to paranoia of the red light camera. If they treat the intersection like a normal law abiding citizen would, there would be no problems. But they don't.




    And as stated before.........a yellow light with a 1 second duration........and you would still blame the drivers and their poor judgement.
    WTF Does this have to do with the red light camera? NOTHING! Here you are proving that your entire argument is based around the yellow light duration being reduced and NOT the red light camera in an of itself. That does not match your original argument, of which you seem to be backpeddling.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #138
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Yes. Score one for unsafe drivers!

    However... doing ANYTHING on your phone outside of talking on it is in violation of the statute...

    I suggest you check the statute in NC again.
    You are correct about the statute.
    http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions.../PDF/S22v0.pdf

    However I am correct about impossible enforcement with makes the wording of the bill a moot point.

    Law Enforcement, Public Still Hazy On Texting-While-Driving Ban | NBC17.com
    From the ashes.

  9. #139
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    You are correct about the statute.
    http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions.../PDF/S22v0.pdf

    However I am correct about impossible enforcement with makes the wording of the bill a moot point.

    Law Enforcement, Public Still Hazy On Texting-While-Driving Ban | NBC17.com
    Oh I never disagreed about how impossible it is to enforce... I know full well being a NC police officer and all
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #140
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    How is the statute worded making transparent tape illegal?

    It does not obstruct plain view of the digits so why would it be illegal?
    NCGS 20-63(g)
    Cover or cause to be covered a part or portion of the vehicle registration plate or letters or figures by a device designed or intended to prevent or interfere with the taking of a clear photograph by a traffic control system camera.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •