View Poll Results: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neither should be banned.

    23 50.00%
  • Both should be banned.

    17 36.96%
  • Only the DUI checkpoint app should be banned.

    1 2.17%
  • Only the Red Light came app should be banned.

    3 6.52%
  • I do not know know/maybe/other

    2 4.35%
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 154

Thread: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

  1. #121
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Then you really aren't about safety. Texting and driving IS more dangerous than drunk driving.

    Once again, drunks may cause 29% of traffic accidents - but sober idiots cause the other 71% - including people who text while driving.

    The fact that you dismiss texting and driving because "it's harder to control" proves you're only out to get some people because propaganda has declared them criminals, while you dismiss people who are more dangerous (and probably more prevalent) because you think that law would be inconvenient.

    Get those people (you disdain them); but those more dangerous people, well...we don't have time for them. Besides, they're like the people I know, so they can't be criminals (until they kill someone).

    Drinking and driving is bad. Yes. No one denies that. But your attitude and our present laws don't reflect a true concern for safety...
    29% of all traffic accidents is pretty bad when you consider that a MUCH MUCH lower percentage of the driving public than 29% ever have any alcohol in their system. Not to mention this 29% comes at a time when typically fewer cars are on the roadway anyhow. (Yes, I know, not all the time, but im not speaking in absolutes)

    As for the rest of your comments.... The poster was right... Texting while driving is hard to control.

    Police Officers don't have their vehicle's on autopilot.... we have to be able to control our vehicle safely as well. This can't be done if we are trying to stare at Hugetits McGee over there to see whether she is texting or dialing 911.

    Then of course, there is the problem of, outside of viewing somenoe doing it (and not crashing our own car trying to do so) we have to rely on.... admission.

    As Ive explained to Ikari before, the "Texting While Driving" law will appear to be a smashing sucess in bringing down the number of crashes attributed to texting while driving because now that it is illegal, many people who would have otherwise admitted to texting while driving as the reason why they made a mistake and hit another vehicle are now going to attribute it to some other form of distraction that is not yet illegal. Making the reported number of texting while driving crash incidents lower, and the law will look like a smashing sucess.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Doesn't putting reflectorized tape over thenumbers on the plate make this a moot point? If the camera can't see the number it can't send the violation.
    Illegal.
    ....
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #123
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post

    Police Officers don't have their vehicle's on autopilot.... we have to be able to control our vehicle safely as well. This can't be done if we are trying to stare at Hugetits McGee over there to see whether she is texting or dialing 911.

    A buddy of mine got hit by a cop the other day while the cop was doing something on his computer.

  4. #124
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    07-15-12 @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    255

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Then you really aren't about safety. Texting and driving IS more dangerous than drunk driving.

    Once again, drunks may cause 29% of traffic accidents - but sober idiots cause the other 71% - including people who text while driving.

    The fact that you dismiss texting and driving because "it's harder to control" proves you're only out to get some people because propaganda has declared them criminals, while you dismiss people who are more dangerous (and probably more prevalent) because you think that law would be inconvenient.

    Get those people (you disdain them); but those more dangerous people, well...we don't have time for them. Besides, they're like the people I know, so they can't be criminals (until they kill someone).

    Drinking and driving is bad. Yes. No one denies that. But your attitude and our present laws don't reflect a true concern for safety...
    How do you suggest we stop people from texting and driving? So we make a law that says you cannot text and drive. How do you enforce this? How do you know if someone is texting versus calling 911 or watching their GPS. You give me a legitimate way to enforce this I will whole heartedly jump on your side of this.

  5. #125
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by lovetosing4678 View Post
    How do you suggest we stop people from texting and driving? So we make a law that says you cannot text and drive. How do you enforce this? How do you know if someone is texting versus calling 911 or watching their GPS. You give me a legitimate way to enforce this I will whole heartedly jump on your side of this.
    Exactly.

    Outside of the rare instance of seeing someone with a flip out keyboard phone having the phone in keyboard mode while it rests at the top of their steering wheel thumbing away at it, we aren't going to know whether someone is texting or not. Not to mention its difficult for a law enforcement officer to keep good control over his/her own vehicle while examining the interior of another vehicle that closely while moving on the road.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    A buddy of mine got hit by a cop the other day while the cop was doing something on his computer.
    It happens... Ive nearly hit folks myself once or twice...

    I hit a deer once while checking pending calls holding.... thankfully it was only at 28mph.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #127
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    07-15-12 @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    255

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Does that only apply to cars?

    If you loan your buddy your rifle and he kills somebody while he is hunting, should you go to jail instead of him?

    There is no legal basis for your point.
    Both your car and your gun are registered to you. Unless you can provide concrete evidence you were not using your gun at the time then yes you probably would go to jail instead of him. Whether that is right or not is not up to me.

    I worked for a toll service in Florida and spoke to many people who had received tickets for running the toll booths which end up costing you over $100 if you don't pay them. You can contest the ticket but every person who I had spoken to said they had not successfully contested it. The fact is, when you run the toll they run the license tag through the system first to make sure you are a customer. If you are not, they request who the license tag is registered to from the DMV. Then they send you the ticket in the mail. It is just how things work. Now if you can prove you were not driving at the time, then the other person would be responsible if it is verified. So keep proof and you should be A-Okay.

    To your other question about the ticket, I am not certain she contested it. She was going through a divorce at the time so I think she just paid to avoid any more stress.

    To the reflective tape question, check out the link someone posted to the Mythbusters episode, it wont work.

  8. #128
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Then you really aren't about safety. Texting and driving IS more dangerous than drunk driving.

    Once again, drunks may cause 29% of traffic accidents - but sober idiots cause the other 71% - including people who text while driving.

    The fact that you dismiss texting and driving because "it's harder to control" proves you're only out to get some people because propaganda has declared them criminals, while you dismiss people who are more dangerous (and probably more prevalent) because you think that law would be inconvenient.

    Get those people (you disdain them); but those more dangerous people, well...we don't have time for them. Besides, they're like the people I know, so they can't be criminals (until they kill someone).

    Drinking and driving is bad. Yes. No one denies that. But your attitude and our present laws don't reflect a true concern for safety...
    NC passed a no texting law. Quickly found out that phones are used for lots more than texting. I have GPS on my phone, it's not illegal to enter an address in the GPS. I have to punch numbers to make a call exactly as if I were texting, also not illegal. This led to officers asking to look at the phone and checking text logs. They found out quickly this IS illegal and they can't force a person to surrender their phone. People have a legitimate legal reason to be typing on their phone, so no reasonable suspicion exists. Figure the odds the text would still exist if they waited for a warrant.

    Score one for the freedom lovers.
    From the ashes.

  9. #129
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by lovetosing4678 View Post
    How do you suggest we stop people from texting and driving? So we make a law that says you cannot text and drive. How do you enforce this? How do you know if someone is texting versus calling 911 or watching their GPS. You give me a legitimate way to enforce this I will whole heartedly jump on your side of this.
    Doesn't matter. If this is what you are doing, regardless of whether you're texting or entering a GPS code to get to your destination - you are a dangerous driver. As dangerous or MORE dangerous than a drunk driver.

    If you believe that drunk drivers should be arrested and jailed for first-time offenses and NOT those who are fiddling with their phones - then your righteous anger against people who drink and drive is hollow.

    You're excusing one behavior while punishing another.

    And most of you aren't getting my point: I think the punishments for drinking and driving are ridiculous. You have to spend 48 hours in jail, drive on a restricted license, do 24-hours of roadside litter pickup...This is all without having done anyone any harm.

    But do something more dangerous - as proven in multiple studies - and you're only going to get a slight fine. No biggie.

    The only law I would pass, were I to get into the state legislature is that I would make operating a handheld cellphone in any way shape or form punishable equal to a DUI; and same with multiple offenses. I would then leave it up to the people who have passed the draconian laws and fines to then properly adjust things so they make sense and don't treat one driver making a bad decision different from another; when they are equally dangerous on the roads.

    Caine, do you believe in "Texting Road Blocks"?

  10. #130
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should DUI checkpoint and red light cam apps be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    A buddy of mine got hit by a cop the other day while the cop was doing something on his computer.
    Destracted driving is not a crime if you're part of the government. It's only a crime if you're a regular citizen.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •