View Poll Results: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 38.46%
  • No

    30 57.69%
  • No opinion

    2 3.85%
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 277

Thread: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    As a whole, no. Having said that, I'd like to see some return to McCarthyism-like witch hunts in America. Quite frankly, if you live in America and don't appreciate capitalism, get the hell out. There are many other socialist hellholes that would welcome your ilk. Unfortunately, there aren't many global options like America where you can avoid hyper-taxation and excessive governmental control.

    If you think country X is ideal, go to country X. Don't make the people of country X suffer because of your delusions, especially when there are more country Ys in the world than Xs.

  2. #42
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    It pretty much is, except among those who cling to a utopian vision.

  3. #43
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Does that make it right, megaprogram?
    Not sure what you mean by the question. I tend to be pragmatic when it comes to these things and tend go with what works for the most over any sort of purity of belief. My view is that the point of society is to serve those in it and as far as the details of how that works, I am flexible.

    I don't know if its right or not to someone's point of view and I don't really care. My view is that it is probably not completely right for everyone for one reason or another, but we long as we don't have slum towns, massive disease issues, horrible violence, social instability, death, etc, we are probably doing ok and the rest (and frankly most of what we talk about here) is purely academic, but useful in the pursuit of new ideas and models to try.

    Also, I tend to think (and we have seen innumerable historical examples of this) that a lot of forms of morality and interpretation of ideas tends to follow what ends up working best for people in general. This is one of the reasons why culture tends to change over time, we are simply adapting to new situations and technologies. However, much of morality is really just methods of achieving core principals such as do nor murder, do not steal, etc, the basic stuff that lasts over time.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 05-17-11 at 02:27 PM.

  4. #44
    Advisor DontDoIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois, Land of Liberals
    Last Seen
    11-22-15 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    391

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    No.

    Capitalism has killed just as many, if not more. Take for example children who have been killed from occupational hazards as a result of lack of regulations in work spaces or requirements for safe working conditions because it would raise the prices of goods and services.

    So no, socialism and communism should not be condemned like nazism is.
    Capitalism has killed more people than Communism/Socialism? Please enlighten me on where you got this statistic from, the national enquirer?
    "It is a sad day in society when people adjust the facts to fit their beliefs, rather than adjust their beliefs to fit the facts."
    Libertarian/Conservative/Christian Beliefs

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    According to anyone on the dumb side of center, anyone who dies from anything remotely considered a natural cause died of capitalism.

    They think starving Africans are a giant poster for anti-globalism.

  6. #46
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    Quote Originally Posted by DontDoIt View Post
    Capitalism has killed more people than Communism/Socialism? Please enlighten me on where you got this statistic from, the national enquirer?
    Personally, I don't know, since when people die from not enough to eat while there is plenty of food in the market or they die from disease when the hospitals can treat it, I doubt the statistic is often recorded. We are beginning to make an attempt to these days, but its a problematic number to capture.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    By the arbitrary measuring stick they use, you could easily blame communism for more because medicine, technology, and science would dwindle down.

    Communism is the spirit of anti-competition. To think that people would always "do the right thing" without incentivization is just downright stupid.

  8. #48
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    By the arbitrary measuring stick they use, you could easily blame communism for more because medicine, technology, and science would dwindle down.
    I agree, west berlin vs east berlin in the 80s is an example of this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Communism is the spirit of anti-competition. To think that people would always "do the right thing" without incentivization is just downright stupid.
    I also agree, some people will do the right thing on their own, some won't. Some will do it some days and not others, depending on mood or whatever, etc. However, incentives alone will not cause people to do the right thing all the time either. We also have to look at ability, maturity, freedom and constraints of their decisions, etc.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman
    I also agree, some people will do the right thing on their own, some won't. Some will do it some days and not others, depending on mood or whatever, etc. However, incentives alone will not cause people to do the right thing all the time either. We also have to look at ability, maturity, freedom and constraints of their decisions, etc.
    Well yes, I agree. You can't dissect it in a vacuum, nor can you say profit is 100% of motivation. However, I would argue that it is the great bulk of it, and that other factors such as ones you listed, can help tip the scale in a certain direction but probably will not be the driving force.

  10. #50
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Well yes, I agree. You can't dissect it in a vacuum, nor can you say profit is 100% of motivation. However, I would argue that it is the great bulk of it, and that other factors such as ones you listed, can help tip the scale in a certain direction but probably will not be the driving force.
    I am not so sure I agree that it is the great bulk of it either. People often settle for less money if they can get other things they want. For example, companies that tell their employees what they want to hear and coo at them with meaningless rewards for a job well done while paying them comparatively less tend to have good turnover rates. I could get paid more in the Atlanta, but its a heck of a drive in the mornings, instead I live 10 minutes away from my job.

    People tend to respond to what gives them a sense of well-being, sometimes that is money and sometimes it isn't.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 05-17-11 at 02:52 PM.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •