View Poll Results: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 38.46%
  • No

    30 57.69%
  • No opinion

    2 3.85%
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 277

Thread: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

  1. #211
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    You're asking me to equate fascism, or the far-right, with Nazism. Some seem to ask me to do that, and that's the point where I disagree.

    Right-wing ideology (in and of itself) does not, in any way, embrace or promote racism. Just because the Nazis did is no reason to indict the right as breeders of racism.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 05-20-11 at 09:57 AM.

  2. #212
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You're asking me to equate fascism, or the far-right, with Nazism. Some seem to ask me to do that, and that's the point where I disagree.
    Hey, no need to be snippy, I believe we agree more than we disagree.

    If I used sloppy language evoking the impression I equated fascism with Nazism, I apologize, that was not my intent. I believe Nazism is just one variant of fascism, and other variants are not necessarily racist. I still disagree with fascism in general, because I have a problem with their authoritarianism, much like I condemn authoritarian brands of socialism, la Stalin, Pot or Mao.

    Fair enough?
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  3. #213
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    I'm not being snippy, I'm being smart-ass.


    Anyway, you cannot indict the right because of Nazis (or TP

    You cannot call the far-right a "cauldron of bubbling racial hatred" (I'm paraphrasing). You're demonizing based on a tragic historical psuedo-example. It's no better than hanging the slaughters of Stalin on communism.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 05-20-11 at 10:03 AM.

  4. #214
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Right-wing ideology (in and of itself) does not, in any way, embrace or promote racism. Just because the Nazis did is no reason to indict the right as breeders of racism.
    See my explanation above about racism. I don't think "the right" in general breeds racism.

    But I do believe that ideologies which actively affirm racist impulses are usually right-wing, as for example Nazism. But that's not true the other way, I do not believe that the right wing in general is racist.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  5. #215
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    But I do believe that ideologies which actively affirm racist impulses are usually right-wing, as for example Nazism. But that's not true the other way, I do not believe that the right wing in general is racist.
    That's better than thinking the far right creates racism; nonetheless, we find racism in every group. Labelling the right as "those who affirm racism" is demonization.

    We get along fine and it's been civil, but my head is starting to hurt from reading too much. Ima put some tunes on and make fun.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 05-20-11 at 10:08 AM.

  6. #216
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I'm not being snippy, I'm being smart-ass.


    Anyway, you cannot indict the right because of Nazis (or TP

    You cannot call the far-right a "cauldron of bubbling racial hatred" (I'm paraphrasing). You're demonizing based on a tragic historical psuedo-example.
    The far-right? How do you define that? In my book, "far-right" (as opposed to "conservatives" or "right-wing") is defined by strong authoritarianism and strong reliance on in-group/out-group behavior. Usually, this is racist in-group/out-group thinking, but it may also be a warped nationalism taken to the extreme, or religious bigotry, or cultural chauvinism. Or all of that.

    So I'd modify this: The *far*-right is indeed a "cauldron of bubbling hatred", but not necessarily racial hatred. May also be religious, nationalistic or cultural chauvinism.

    Those who take national, cultural or religious pride not too far, not so far they look down on others, are not "far"-right in my book.
    Last edited by German guy; 05-20-11 at 10:10 AM.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  7. #217
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    I don't see why the right gets nailed with all of their ideologically perverted examples but the left is spared all of theirs. It just doesn't seem fair.

    Now, seriously, I'm off to check for bobos and such.

  8. #218
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I don't see why the right gets nailed with all of their ideologically perverted examples but the left is spared all of theirs. It just doesn't seem fair.

    Now, seriously, I'm off to check for bobos and such.
    I believe it would be nice if neither the moderate right was conflated with Nazism or the like, nor the moderate left with the likes of Stalin, Pot or Mao. The latter was what Alfons attempted to do by starting this thread.

    See you next time and thanks for the debate!
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  9. #219
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I don't see why the right gets nailed with all of their ideologically perverted examples but the left is spared all of theirs. It just doesn't seem fair.

    Now, seriously, I'm off to check for bobos and such.
    Each side has their own failings, but those failings are different.

  10. #220
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should Socialism - Communism be condemned like Nazim?

    I can entertain a notion without believing it.

    "Let communism continue and disregard the collateral."

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •