View Poll Results: Should a car be required to have a breathalyzer?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, on a state level

    4 10.26%
  • Yes, on a national level

    1 2.56%
  • No

    30 76.92%
  • Maybe

    4 10.26%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 83 of 83

Thread: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

  1. #81
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yes, because the government is such a self-limiting force. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Give them an inch, they steal a mile. I can see the same arguments you're using now used to authorize constant monitoring techiniques. The small increase in safety is not worth our rights.
    Just because something COULD be expanded upon at some point in the future does not mean it WILL be. For example, it will be possible in the near future for seat belts to sense whether or not they are fastened and report the results to the police. Is the potential of future illegal searches a good argument against reasonable safety precautions? Of course not.

    Opposing incremental threats to privacy is one thing. Opposing something that is no threat to privacy at all but might potentially become one in the future is completely different. A breathalyzer in your car does not, by itself, invade your privacy in any way whatsoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari
    So because we have more technology, that excuses more invasive forms of monitoring. Great. Because tech will only get better with time and easier to impliment. I don't think I like where your argument goes.
    The government already mandates that you operate your car in certain ways; you aren't allowed to drive on the left side of the road, you aren't allowed to go 100 mph, and you aren't allowed to drive while intoxicated. And we all accept those laws. So what exactly is the big difference with more high-tech requirements? Just like those other things that we accept, they infringe on your "freedom" to be reckless in order to protect other motorists and pedestrians.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari
    And to me, it's too much. There is no way to guarantee that it won't be used in the manners you don't like. It's nothing more than a stepping stone of government power grab and if you give them power, they will take more. The history of mankind is rife with data on the natural course of governments.
    Hopefully self-driving cars will soon make it a moot point. Then we can ban human drivers altogether. And that will be a great thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari
    Not at the cost of liberty.
    What "liberty" would you be giving up? The liberty to operate your car while intoxicated? Why should you have that liberty?

    You don't have the liberty to threaten the safety of others with your motor vehicle, and you never have. The only difference is that the technology has not existed to PREVENT you from doing so, until recently. The point of contention is to what DEGREE you should have the freedom to be a menace to society, not whether or not such a line exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari
    In certain age brackets, yes. It's not the overall killer (which is heart disease currently followed by obesity related diseases).
    Auto fatalities are responsible for about 40,000 deaths per year. If they were their own category (the CDC lumps them in with all "accidents"), then they would be the 10th leading cause of death in the United States.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-20-11 at 11:06 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #82
    User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Last Seen
    08-22-11 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    32

    Re: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    Breathalyzers require you to pass the test or you can't start the engine.

    Stats Drunk Driving Accident Statistics: Alcohol-Related Car Crash Deaths
    Requiring everyone to get a machine installed, because a segment of the population chooses to break the law is rather absurd. The system now that requires those who have been arrested for DUIs to install breathalyzers at their own cost makes more sense.

  3. #83
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

    Should breathalysers become mandatory in new cars, I would stand to make a fortune selling bypass kits and instructions. Of course you'd get a tiny switch to turn it back on before vehicle inspections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •