View Poll Results: Should a car be required to have a breathalyzer?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, on a state level

    4 10.26%
  • Yes, on a national level

    1 2.56%
  • No

    30 76.92%
  • Maybe

    4 10.26%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 83

Thread: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,873

    Re: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I would like to see it be a mandate for anyone who has had a DUI. Other folks? Too restrictive.
    i would support this if the person was a repeat offender, not just for one convicition.
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

  2. #12
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I voted no assuming you meant everyone has to get one installed. That wont help alcoholics and those so inclined just wont use it or wont pay attention to it. The lionshare of drivers thankfully do not drive impaired.
    I would much rather see a national total ban on cellphone use in any form by drivers while driving. Cellphones are the biggest vehiclular murderers barring none in the country
    We have a cell phone ban in the city I live in. I absolutely oppose it and, yes, I've have very nearly been creamed by some guy driving a truck and talking on his cell. I laid down, like, 20 feet of skid to avoid the accident. Even so, I appreciate the irony that I could get behind some guy who's clearly driving drunk but that it would be illegal for me to call the police on him on my cell.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  3. #13
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    We have a cell phone ban in the city I live in. I absolutely oppose it and, yes, I've have very nearly been creamed by some guy driving a truck and talking on his cell. I laid down, like, 20 feet of skid to avoid the accident. Even so, I appreciate the irony that I could get behind some guy who's clearly driving drunk but that it would be illegal for me to call the police on him on my cell.
    You oppose or support that cell phone ban?
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  4. #14
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,589
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

    Despite the fact that I am death on drunk drivers, I voted no and here's why. Although a mandatory breathalyzer for someone who has a history of DUI would be helpful, forcing everyone to use one would keep some people with no alcohol abuse from driving. In order for the ignition to work, the driver would have to blow hard into the machine for several seconds. People with advanced lung disease and certain other medical problems wouldn't be able to do that. They simply don't have enough breath.

    So I'm against it.

  5. #15
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    10-20-12 @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    10

    Re: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

    I think it's a good idea in theory - but I don't like the idea of more or less putting that restriction on people who have done nothing to deserve it. As DiAnna pointed out it would be problematic for individuals with any form of respiratory illness. There would be costs to install, costs to maintain and so forth. Those limitations are fine for people who have a history of driving drunk but is essentially unfair to those who follow the law(s).

  6. #16
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    A waste? Explain
    Actually, as I tried to formulate an answer for this, I've changed my mind. Ha! A woman's perrogative. I looked up some stats to find that, in 2009, over 10,000 people were killed by drunk drivers...but, of course, that doesn't tell the whole story.

    I'm with you. Why not? The logistics might be a bit difficult, but I'd be willing to pay for it. Your idea of "the government" paying for it doesn't make sense -- neither does insurance companies paying for it make sense...at least to me. But all new cars mandated to have it by 2015? Sounds like a good idea.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #17
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    You oppose or support that cell phone ban?
    Oppose it. I wouldn't if it was limited to texting but it's not.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #18
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Despite the fact that I am death on drunk drivers, I voted no and here's why. Although a mandatory breathalyzer for someone who has a history of DUI would be helpful, forcing everyone to use one would keep some people with no alcohol abuse from driving. In order for the ignition to work, the driver would have to blow hard into the machine for several seconds. People with advanced lung disease and certain other medical problems wouldn't be able to do that. They simply don't have enough breath.

    So I'm against it.
    How about we make an exception for those people?

    Most laws have exceptions so that they an function.
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  9. #19
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Actually, as I tried to formulate an answer for this, I've changed my mind. Ha! A woman's perrogative. I looked up some stats to find that, in 2009, over 10,000 people were killed by drunk drivers...but, of course, that doesn't tell the whole story.

    I'm with you. Why not? The logistics might be a bit difficult, but I'd be willing to pay for it. Your idea of "the government" paying for it doesn't make sense -- neither does insurance companies paying for it make sense...at least to me. But all new cars mandated to have it by 2015? Sounds like a good idea.
    One way to pay for it-raise alcohol taxes lol
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  10. #20
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Mandated breathalyzers in cars?

    No, this is a dumb idea. Some states already mandate ignition interlocks for DUI offenders, which I'd be okay with, but even then, they're too easy to bypass. I know a guy who used to have his 4-year-old daughter blow into it so he could drive drunk.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •