View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mitt Romney

    41 15.30%
  • Tim Pawlenty

    9 3.36%
  • John Huntsman

    0 0%
  • Mitch Daniels

    15 5.60%
  • Sarah Palin

    4 1.49%
  • Newt Gingrich

    6 2.24%
  • Michele Bachmann

    2 0.75%
  • Donald Trump

    3 1.12%
  • Ron Paul

    172 64.18%
  • Other (specify)

    16 5.97%
Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 458

Thread: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

  1. #411
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by lewstherin View Post
    bull. he was an underdog even after he won the iowa caucus.
    Ahem. What I said was: After he started to make noise about a possible presidential bid in November 2006, he was never anything less than the 2nd most likely Democratic nominee on InTrade.

    Do you understand what "2nd most likely" means? Do you understand that it's not mutually exclusive with being an underdog in a field of two?

    Quote Originally Posted by lewstherin
    what world do you live in?
    What's your point anyway? That InTrade isn't a good predictor of eventual success? If that's the case, I suggest you bet your life savings on every underdog contract. You'll make a fortune.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-22-11 at 11:28 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #412
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    I think it depends on how far right the rest of the republican primary voters have gotten. If you are to believe polls Romney and pawlenty are the two likely with palin even closing in. If the real right truly thinks like fox and limbaugh make it out then Herman Cain and yes even palin.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  3. #413
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-11-17 @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    275

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    LOL, Speech writer. Yea, I'm sure Cain has speech writers.
    It would not surprise me that he does not have someone writing his speeches given the way he spoke. What I am saying is he probably ought to look into hiring someone who can help him better express his views for public events such as these.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    For, his couple of bad habits (I don't know what you mean) and I don't believe they would need "fixed"
    One of the bad habits I noticed is he repeats himself. For example, he will say something like, "Right now, we have start to drilling for oil right now." It is a minor inconvenience but it is a mistake best left for amateurs.

    The other is parts of his speech were just wrong. During his speech he claims that we need to reread the Constitution. While still stalking about the Constitution he then goes on to cite a passage from the Declaration of Independence. It makes him look stupid to claim that his opponents need to read the Constitution when even he does not know it. This again is something a better staff could help with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    One reason people like Cain is that he speaks to them. He is not an elitist, with trainers, speech writers and teleprompters.
    Since when is hiring someone to help you reach your potential elitist? Cain spent a lot of time talking about how he wants to be #1. Well, if he does, he better look into someone who can even out some of his rougher edges because he has the potential to actually win the presidency.

    It is refreshing that he tells it like it is. My only suggestion is that he ought to be careful because that could easily bite him in the ass if he is not careful about what he says.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    He made no gaffes in the debate. He told the truth.
    I may be picky, but by my count he made two.

    The first is claiming to not know what the plan is for Afghanistan. First I find it a mistake to ever claim that I do not understand something were I running for an elected office, much less the presidency. Most people who follow politics can articulate what the plan is in Afghanistan, so Cain claiming he does not know make him look ignorant. In politics, ignorance is weakness.

    The other gaffe he made was during the Libya/Syria response. He claimed that President Obama waffled with first supporting Muammar Gaddafi, and then not supporting him. The problem is President Obama never supported Gaddafi in the least bit. My guess is that Cain confused Obama's response to the situation in Libya with the situation in Egypt, in which President Obama was waffling on whether or not to support Hosni Mubarak continuing to rule Egypt.

    Mistakes like this make him look either stupid or ignorant. Again, in politics neither is desirable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    He needs work on foreign policy but he's a fast learner. I agree with him on Israel and his strong support of them.
    He better be, since he has a lot to learn. There is a lot more to American foreign policy than just supporting Israel. For someone who claims we need a comprehensive policy his is lacking right now, though that is understandable since it is early in the campaign.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    The economy is our number one priority and it is a national security issue as our energy policy and our immigration policy is. He's good on those.
    Yes, the economy is the number one priority right now and he appears to share the same ideas of every Republican.

    When it comes to energy policy I question some of the things he says. First, he criticizes the United States for loans sent to Brazil to drill for oil. One of the reasons China is excelling is because they are making similar loans to help develop natural resources throughout Africa and other developing countries. The United States should take similar actions in order to ensure that our nation's energy resources are plentiful. The fact that Cain criticizes that is pitiful.

    The other thing is his claim that if the United States started drilling that any oil discovered will mean that the United States will be its own best customer. The only thing that would make that true is if he nationalizes our nation's oil industry, but I do not see him doing that. So instead newly drilled oil will be sold on the international market to the highest bidder.

    Keep in mind that both of those should not attempt to expand production of natural resources while mitigating potential environmental damage that may arise.

  4. #414
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I respectfully disagree. If it was provable bush knowingly and purposefully lied, then perhaps. But thats nothing but speculation, not fact. It's un questionable fact that Clinton messed around with a subordinate.

    Ultimately, based on facts not opinion/speculation, Iraq was a policy decision, Monica wasn't. I have am more forgiving of policy mistakes in terms of how much of an issue I have with a president on a personal level rather than ethical issues. Just. My take, I can understand others feeling differently
    I respect your right to your opinion but I see it much differently. There is plenty of evidence the Bush administration lied to us about the threat of Iraq, there is just none that was acted on. I would be happy to discuss it in a more appropriate thread.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #415
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I respect your right to your opinion but I see it much differently. There is plenty of evidence the Bush administration lied to us about the threat of Iraq, there is just none that was acted on. I would be happy to discuss it in a more appropriate thread.
    Well, furthermore, Clinton's dalliance with an intern did not result in the deaths of thousands of American service personnel. Bush's dalliance with the truth around WMDs certainly did.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  6. #416
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    conservatives will hold their nose and vote for Mitt if that is the option. but we don't like him, we don't want him, and we won't come out for him in the numbers that we would come out for someone who had at least a dimes worth of difference between himself and Obama on such critical matters as healthcare.
    That is indeed comforting to know, as Romney is the most likely candidate by far to win the GOP nomination!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #417
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by lewstherin View Post
    i voted "other". i think herman cain will take the nomination. why? because he's a federal reserve internationalist stooge and
    fox news is already backing him.
    the sheep will fall in line from there.
    I wish fox news was backing him. Even when they mention him, (when they even bother) they call him a long shot, Ceo of GF pizza, even though his resume is much more than that. Nope, Fox wants to help get an establishment republican nominated, just like the rest of the media. Pawlenty, or Romney will be their choice. Even Neil Cavuto who I think supports Cain, can't keep his mouth shut about the odds. Well dang, maybe his odds wouldn't be so bad if they'd all quit saying how hopeless his chances are.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  8. #418
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I wish fox news was backing him. Even when they mention him, (when they even bother) they call him a long shot, Ceo of GF pizza, even though his resume is much more than that. Nope, Fox wants to help get an establishment republican nominated, just like the rest of the media. Pawlenty, or Romney will be their choice. Even Neil Cavuto who I think supports Cain, can't keep his mouth shut about the odds. Well dang, maybe his odds wouldn't be so bad if they'd all quit saying how hopeless his chances are.
    what else would you call him? he IS a longshot.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #419
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff View Post
    It would not surprise me that he does not have someone writing his speeches given the way he spoke. What I am saying is he probably ought to look into hiring someone who can help him better express his views for public events such as these.

    One of the bad habits I noticed is he repeats himself. For example, he will say something like, "Right now, we have start to drilling for oil right now." It is a minor inconvenience but it is a mistake best left for amateurs.

    The other is parts of his speech were just wrong. During his speech he claims that we need to reread the Constitution. While still stalking about the Constitution he then goes on to cite a passage from the Declaration of Independence. It makes him look stupid to claim that his opponents need to read the Constitution when even he does not know it. This again is something a better staff could help with.


    Since when is hiring someone to help you reach your potential elitist? Cain spent a lot of time talking about how he wants to be #1. Well, if he does, he better look into someone who can even out some of his rougher edges because he has the potential to actually win the presidency.

    It is refreshing that he tells it like it is. My only suggestion is that he ought to be careful because that could easily bite him in the ass if he is not careful about what he says.

    I may be picky, but by my count he made two.

    The first is claiming to not know what the plan is for Afghanistan. First I find it a mistake to ever claim that I do not understand something were I running for an elected office, much less the presidency. Most people who follow politics can articulate what the plan is in Afghanistan, so Cain claiming he does not know make him look ignorant. In politics, ignorance is weakness.

    The other gaffe he made was during the Libya/Syria response. He claimed that President Obama waffled with first supporting Muammar Gaddafi, and then not supporting him. The problem is President Obama never supported Gaddafi in the least bit. My guess is that Cain confused Obama's response to the situation in Libya with the situation in Egypt, in which President Obama was waffling on whether or not to support Hosni Mubarak continuing to rule Egypt.

    Mistakes like this make him look either stupid or ignorant. Again, in politics neither is desirable.


    He better be, since he has a lot to learn. There is a lot more to American foreign policy than just supporting Israel. For someone who claims we need a comprehensive policy his is lacking right now, though that is understandable since it is early in the campaign.

    Yes, the economy is the number one priority right now and he appears to share the same ideas of every Republican.

    When it comes to energy policy I question some of the things he says. First, he criticizes the United States for loans sent to Brazil to drill for oil. One of the reasons China is excelling is because they are making similar loans to help develop natural resources throughout Africa and other developing countries. The United States should take similar actions in order to ensure that our nation's energy resources are plentiful. The fact that Cain criticizes that is pitiful.

    The other thing is his claim that if the United States started drilling that any oil discovered will mean that the United States will be its own best customer. The only thing that would make that true is if he nationalizes our nation's oil industry, but I do not see him doing that. So instead newly drilled oil will be sold on the international market to the highest bidder.

    Keep in mind that both of those should not attempt to expand production of natural resources while mitigating potential environmental damage that may arise.
    I was going to try to address your intire post, but I don't have the energy.
    I'll just say, in my opinion the LAST thing Cain needs to do is hire experts to help him with his speechs.
    His answer on Afghanistan was perfect. I guess he could have said "When I am elected, I'll bring all our troops home by July! I'll close Gitmo within a year. Everyone will be able to afford college and healthcare! There will be no more torture on my watch!
    That is not who Cain is. He said he would have to have all the inside information that he is not privy to, before he could answer the question about what he would do about Afghanistan.
    Seems Obama had all kinds of answers during his campaign until he became privy to the secret stuff. Then he had to back track.
    His energy plan sounds great to me too. Maybe it won't be easy to execute exactly as he wants, by I promise you, it will get more than lip service.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  10. #420
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    what else would you call him? he IS a longshot.
    No, I don't think he is a long shot at all. He may not have as much chance as Romney, but he no long shot.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •