View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mitt Romney

    41 15.30%
  • Tim Pawlenty

    9 3.36%
  • John Huntsman

    0 0%
  • Mitch Daniels

    15 5.60%
  • Sarah Palin

    4 1.49%
  • Newt Gingrich

    6 2.24%
  • Michele Bachmann

    2 0.75%
  • Donald Trump

    3 1.12%
  • Ron Paul

    172 64.18%
  • Other (specify)

    16 5.97%
Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 458

Thread: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

  1. #371
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,474

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    To look at Herman Cain without the usual partisan blinders one can say he has some good points.

    Putting him in the bowl with Palin, Trump , Bachmann, and Gingrich there is no doubt he stands heads above them.

    Really don't know about the lack of public office experience. I do like his reply to that question with “Everyone in Washington has held public office before. How’s that working out for you?” But then we can't gage how he is in public office as far as dealing with lobbyists and cronies.

    I would say Cain is a gamble and if I had to pick someone from the Republican Party I would pick him with my fingers crossed. Against Obama I would still vote Obama as least I have an idea what he is like in public office.

  2. #372
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Almost no one knows who Herman Cain is, he's never run for public office. If you ask people who was the CEO of Godfather's Pizza almost no one could answer the question correctly. Recently, he's said he would not have a Muslim in his administration, so he's someshat a bigot.
    no one outside of Arkansas knew who Huckabee was, either; it's the performance that launched him upwards and it's possible Cain might see a similar event - he and Huckabee share many of the same advantages except that Huckabee had his record as governor - whether you consider that to have been an advantage or a disadvantage. and he said he wouldn't have a Muslim in his administration unless that Muslim was willing to place US law above Sharia law in his job - which is a bit more of an allegiance and a bit less of a bigotry concern.

  3. #373
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Really don't know about the lack of public office experience. I do like his reply to that question with “Everyone in Washington has held public office before. How’s that working out for you?” But then we can't gage how he is in public office as far as dealing with lobbyists and cronies.
    Washington does not work the way that a business or the news cycle works. Having great ideas is wonderful. Having good ideas plus the knowledge of how to get them through is better. What we found when Obama got to the White House was that - as he had no experience in Washington - Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid were able to pretty much take over much of his administrations agenda. The Stimulus, Obamacare, these are things that will be hung around his neck come 2012 because they are associated with him and they were his push.... but they are the product not of the Obama White House, but of the swirling vortex of competing fiefdoms that make up the agenda groups that surround the legislature (not that the Executive doesn't have it's own) and the individual quirks and vanities of those inside. The Stimulus became a grab bag of pork goodies and Obamacare became a mishmashed overcomplicated nightmare. Because Obama was inexperienced, he had little choice but to be coopted by the Congressional Leadership of his own party into supporting their abuses if he wanted anything done.

    I like McConnel and I like Boehner. I'm sure we would have great dinner conversation. But I don't trust them, and I don't want the new President to need them like Obama needed Pelosi and Reid.

  4. #374
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Mitt Romney... he's the only one on that whole list who has a chance to garner independents and actual conservatives who are not jackasses.

  5. #375
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,748

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    cpwill - it is precisely because the GOP does not care about African Americans that tinges them with racist motivations, a racist platform and racist policies. It is that exact lack of caring about including African Americans which indicts them. You claim that somehow, someway that shows they are not racist or they are above race. Baloney. They care a whole lot about race - as long as it is White. In a transparent attempt to inoculate themselves against a charge of racism since African Americans are few and far in between in the GOP, they glom on to a noted token or two like a flea jumps on a mangy dog and hold on to them for dear life.

    Your party may care nothing about African Americans - but your party cares a great deal about race.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #376
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Almost no one knows who Herman Cain is, he's never run for public office. If you ask people who was the CEO of Godfather's Pizza almost no one could answer the question correctly. Recently, he's said he would not have a Muslim in his administration, so he's someshat a bigot.
    Today's a new day a great day for America. More people know who he is and more people will know tomorrow. He's on his way to the top.
    You may as well get on the Cain Train now. He is going to be our next President.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  7. #377
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,748

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    The Cain Train thing is a nice turn of phrase.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #378
    Educator
    Amazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North of Dorothy's Home.
    Last Seen
    04-30-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Throwing the BS Flag here.....where do you get ALL of these Lefty talking points?

    Are you Black?



    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    cpwill - it is precisely because the GOP does not care about African Americans that tinges them with racist motivations, a racist platform and racist policies. It is that exact lack of caring about including African Americans which indicts them. You claim that somehow, someway that shows they are not racist or they are above race. Baloney. They care a whole lot about race - as long as it is White. In a transparent attempt to inoculate themselves against a charge of racism since African Americans are few and far in between in the GOP, they glom on to a noted token or two like a flea jumps on a mangy dog and hold on to them for dear life.

    Your party may care nothing about African Americans - but your party cares a great deal about race.
    Obama is NOT 50 feet tall, he is ONE inch deep.
    Mark Levin

  9. #379
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,748

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    .....where do you get ALL of these Lefty talking points?
    They issue them at our weekly meeting of the Radical August Spies Cell meeting which takes place at the Leon Trotsky Union Hall. We have to learn them by heart and then are forced to eat the paper.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #380
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    Mitt Romney... he's the only one on that whole list who has a chance to garner independents and actual conservatives who are not jackasses.
    actually when Mitch Daniels won reelection in 2008, he won by 18 points in a state that Obama carried nationally. He won a majority of the vote of those under 30 and 20% of the black vote. He carried independents heavily and had a pretty respectable percentage of democrats cross the aisle to vote for him.

    conservatives will hold their nose and vote for Mitt if that is the option. but we don't like him, we don't want him, and we won't come out for him in the numbers that we would come out for someone who had at least a dimes worth of difference between himself and Obama on such critical matters as healthcare.

Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •