View Poll Results: Should Military Chaplains be allowed to perform Same Sex marriages?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, anywhere

    25 52.08%
  • Yes, in states that allow same sex marraige

    8 16.67%
  • No, never

    13 27.08%
  • Unsure, don't know, or other

    2 4.17%
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 165

Thread: Should Military Chaplains Be Allowed to Perform Same Sex Marriages?

  1. #71
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should Military Chaplains Be Allowed to Perform Same Sex Marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That doesn't matter and is not exactly true. The marriage license has to be "signed off" and that is normally done by a Priest/Pastor. Unless they were legally married by a JOP first. Still, it's a ceremony that's not likely to happen on base anytime soon.
    For clarification on this the JOP would be the one to sign off on the certificate if a Minister is not the one to do so.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #72
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Should Military Chaplains Be Allowed to Perform Same Sex Marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The problem is that Military bases are little chunks of the US gov, not the state. Military persons are never absolved from federal law regardless of where they are, and....Military Chaplains are officers in the military and must follow regulations.
    From what I understand though, it's no longer illegal to be a homosexual and in the military. The federal government doesn't authorize marriage licenses. If the two soldiers are from a state that will recognize their union I have no problem with a chaplain preforming the ceremony and seeing that it gets authorized in that state. If it's not legal in their home state I don't have a problem with a chaplain by his/her own will preforming a ceremony.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  3. #73
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should Military Chaplains Be Allowed to Perform Same Sex Marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The problem is that Military bases are little chunks of the US gov, not the state. Military persons are never absolved from federal law regardless of where they are, and....Military Chaplains are officers in the military and must follow regulations.
    Chaplains are exempt.
    Not just musing that they are - I know they are.

    They are the only group in the military who are exempt from 'equal treatment' or whatever you might want to say.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #74
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,057

    Re: Should Military Chaplains Be Allowed to Perform Same Sex Marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    So why was Don Larsen, a former Pentecostal military chaplain who converted to Wiccan, stripped of his chaplaincy and discharged from military service when he applied to be a Wiccan chaplain?


    .
    Larsen was in the process of changing chaplaincies. When they called his Christian endorser in order to change chaplaincies(which would have made Wicca a recognized group) the church that endorsed him quickly revoked his endorsement. In essence, the military didn't strip him of his chaplaincy because it wanted to. It had to because of regulation regarding the endorsement of chaplains and bureaucratic red tape. It wasnt a religious matter. It was bureaucratic. In essence, this shows that being a chaplain is kind of like a constant BA. You can change your major whenever you want as long as the institution allows it. You're not bound to any major. Just whatever bureaucratic red tape there is.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #75
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,945

    Re: Should Military Chaplains Be Allowed to Perform Same Sex Marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    afraid i have to disagree. i am in the navy and that's not what we've been told. even with repeal of dadt...the military will not recognize ssm. nothing has been pu out about chaplains and marriage on base.
    I'm in the Navy reserves and my husband is active duty Navy. I never said the military will recognize SSMs until after DOMA is repealed. However, that does not in any way legally prevent a Navy chaplain from performing a SSM on base and the Navy has said that they can perform same sex marriages on base.

    Navy would allow gay weddings on base - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times

    “DOMA does not limit the type of religious ceremonies a chaplain may perform in a chapel on a military installation. Chaplains are authorized to perform religious ceremonies consistent with the practices of the chaplain’s faith group in chapels on military installations.”
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #76
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Should Military Chaplains Be Allowed to Perform Same Sex Marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    From what I understand though, it's no longer illegal to be a homosexual and in the military. The federal government doesn't authorize marriage licenses. If the two soldiers are from a state that will recognize their union I have no problem with a chaplain preforming the ceremony and seeing that it gets authorized in that state. If it's not legal in their home state I don't have a problem with a chaplain by his/her own will preforming a ceremony.
    Well, actually the repeal hasn't been fully enacted yet, and two, there is still no provision for Same Sex Marriage in the military. SSM will still not be recognized in the military regardless of DADT.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #77
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Should Military Chaplains Be Allowed to Perform Same Sex Marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I'm in the Navy reserves and my husband is active duty Navy. I never said the military will recognize SSMs until after DOMA is repealed. However, that does not in any way legally prevent a Navy chaplain from performing a SSM on base and the Navy has said that they can perform same sex marriages on base.

    Navy would allow gay weddings on base - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times
    Navy Times is not the definitive source on policy and according to DC area policy, no SSM will be performed....I'm pretty sure that's Navy wide...for now at least. Just got that clarified 15 minutes ago with a few phone calls.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #78
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Should Military Chaplains Be Allowed to Perform Same Sex Marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Chaplains are exempt.
    Not just musing that they are - I know they are.

    They are the only group in the military who are exempt from 'equal treatment' or whatever you might want to say.
    Equal treatment? They still have regulations...the only exemption for Chaplains is that they can not be ordered into combat or to do anything in direct violation of their religious beleifs. They are still military officers.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #79
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Should Military Chaplains Be Allowed to Perform Same Sex Marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrehalf View Post
    TOJ, I have to log off now. I'll be back tomorrow morning, and rest assured that I do indeed have 18 more links ready to go. So, if you really do want to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that a human being can actually operate a keyboard while having **** for brains then keep it up. I'll smack you down again tomorrow.
    If this is your best at smacking someone down, you are really lame. So far all you have done is FAIL.

    Your first link was merely a description of the Wicca religion and stated that the USA military recognized Wicca as a valid religion. Your second link concerns a paper by someone writing for the Family Research Council.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReligiousTolerance.ORG
    The conclusion of the paper is that the "Pentagon should withdraw recognition of Wicca for readiness reasons."
    Both of these links are from Ontario based Religious Tolerance.Org. Neither link provided anything that remotely backed up your claim.

    You claimed there were Wiccan Chaplains when you was in the military 20 years ago but have offered no proof to back it up. The USA military saying that they recognize the Wicca religion matters not. Are you going to offer proof. Didn't think so.

    You are not real good at this are you?

    Does anyone have a reliable source that proves there are any Wiccan Chaplains in the USA military even now? There may be but, to date, I've seen no evidence.

    .

  10. #80
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Should Military Chaplains Be Allowed to Perform Same Sex Marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Larsen was in the process of changing chaplaincies. When they called his Christian endorser in order to change chaplaincies(which would have made Wicca a recognized group) the church that endorsed him quickly revoked his endorsement. In essence, the military didn't strip him of his chaplaincy because it wanted to. It had to because of regulation regarding the endorsement of chaplains and bureaucratic red tape. It wasnt a religious matter. It was bureaucratic. In essence, this shows that being a chaplain is kind of like a constant BA. You can change your major whenever you want as long as the institution allows it. You're not bound to any major. Just whatever bureaucratic red tape there is.
    Thats the fig leaf they used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Times
    Chaplain Kevin McGhee, Larsen's superior at Camp Anaconda, believes a "grave injustice" was done. McGhee, a Methodist, supervised 26 chaplains on the giant base near Balad, 50 miles north of Baghdad. He says Larsen was the best.

    "What happened to Chaplain Larsen — to be honest, I think it's political," McGhee says. "A lot of people think Wiccans are un-American, because they are ignorant about what Wiccans do."
    Do you know of any reliable source that shows there are Wiccan Chaplain even now?

    .

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •