View Poll Results: What Should the Government Focus On, Raising Revenue or Tax Rates?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Revenues

    25 89.29%
  • Tax Rate

    3 10.71%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 172

Thread: Is Raising Revenue More Important Than Raising Tax Rates?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Is Raising Revenue More Important Than Raising Tax Rates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    Just curious. What are your priorities?
    Tax strategy raising/lowering is how Gov raises revenue.

    You poll seems like a FAIL.

    Or a way to trick people into thinking lowering taxes on the wealthy with fix everything...

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: Is Raising Revenue More Important Than Raising Tax Rates?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    LOL......The C/C rebuttle.......seems to be a favorite among every liberal on this site.

    .....of course the fact that virtually every major tax cut in history has resulted in a MASSIVE GROWTH IN REVENUE.....will of course have to be racked up as COINCIDENCE.

    I'd ask you to provide a period where the only material change was tax rates (I'll let you think about why that matters), but considering the intellectual stock of this place, it's futile.
    Providing you with 10,000 examples of periods where the only material change was tax rates....where lower tax rates resulted in more revenue 99% of the time.......notarized by Obama......undersigned by God........

    .....would only yield a growth in denial from you and every liberal out there.
    .
    .
    .

  3. #63
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is Raising Revenue More Important Than Raising Tax Rates?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    People invest into that because of the security and guaranteed interest.
    Except that isn't the case now. You really need to learn to stop doing the "one sizes fits all" approach. Actual yields went negative for a period of time. People lost money on US debt. Furthermore, the market average rate over the past year is leaps and bounds beyond the pathetic rates offered by US securities.

    It is not because it is more worthwhile, you know this. Get rid of that debt and people will invest in the private sector.
    See above. Furthermore, the fact that businesses are sitting on a trillion in cash reserves suggest they themselves don't have good projects to invest in. When businesses themselves don't have good projects, why would investors pour cash into the investment market?

    Too much is subjective, but I think anything more than 0 is too much because the private sector does it all better.
    Like toll roads? You do realize a large number of industries exist today purely because of government no? I know you're not stupid to argue otherwise.
    Last edited by obvious Child; 05-06-11 at 03:38 AM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #64
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is Raising Revenue More Important Than Raising Tax Rates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    LOL......The C/C rebuttle.......seems to be a favorite among every liberal college educated person on this site.
    Fixed. Does the sun go down because the street lights turn on?

    of course the fact that virtually every major tax cut in history has resulted in a MASSIVE GROWTH IN REVENUE.....will of course have to be racked up as COINCIDENCE.
    At the same time the government expanded spending. Or are you going to be worthless partisan hack and ignore that? We know for a fact that government spending boosts activity. Do we have a period of time where we don't have that factor?

    Providing you with 10,000 examples of periods where the only material change was tax rates....where lower tax rates resulted in more revenue 99% of the time.......notarized by Obama......undersigned by God........

    .....would only yield a growth in denial from you and every liberal out there.
    Which is your answer because you can't find one.

    If you understood statistics (which you clearly do not), you would understand why I am asking. Isolate factors. Ponder that for a change.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Is Raising Revenue More Important Than Raising Tax Rates?

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Tax strategy raising/lowering is how Gov raises revenue.

    You poll seems like a FAIL.

    Or a way to trick people into thinking lowering taxes on the wealthy with fix everything...
    Or a way of finding out if people are focused more on tax rates to the exclusion of actually increasing or maintaining revenue.....

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Is Raising Revenue More Important Than Raising Tax Rates?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    See above. Furthermore, the fact that businesses are sitting on a trillion in cash reserves suggest they themselves don't have good projects to invest in. When businesses themselves don't have good projects, why would investors pour cash into the investment market?
    Not what it means.

    It means the business climate is projected to be risky and much of that is the risk of being taxed. When the party in power is agitating endlessly for higher taxes and making business the scapegoat for the failures of government policies, the businessman is going to hold onto his money and resist exposure to risk.

  7. #67
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,119

    Re: Is Raising Revenue More Important Than Raising Tax Rates?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Ok, then close the loopholes.
    so.. your plan is to pit the agility, motivation, and raw mental power of a $55,000 a year bureacrat against that of a $500,000 a year tax attorney?

    there isn't a point where we can tax high enough to take in significantly more revenue - because revenue isn't a product of tax rates, it's a product of GDP. Top Tax Rates have fluctuated wildly over the last 60 years, yet revenues have reliably held within a pretty tight range.



    interestingly, if you compare the last 30 years to the previous 30 years, you will note that revenue as a % of GDP actually rose slightly when we started running with a lower top marginal tax rate.

    oh, and the "loophole" that you were suggesting be closed? was the loophole of freedom of movement - the wealthy are more easily able to relocate to low tax environments, and their incentive to do so is greater. so unless you want us to become a nation where you have to get permission from the government to move.....
    Last edited by cpwill; 05-06-11 at 08:10 AM.

  8. #68
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,119

    Re: Is Raising Revenue More Important Than Raising Tax Rates?

    anyway, so far it looks like only one person agrees with the President.

  9. #69
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is Raising Revenue More Important Than Raising Tax Rates?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    so.. your plan is to pit the agility, motivation, and raw mental power of a $55,000 a year bureacrat against that of a $500,000 a year tax attorney?

    there isn't a point where we can tax high enough to take in significantly more revenue - because revenue isn't a product of tax rates, it's a product of GDP. Top Tax Rates have fluctuated wildly over the last 60 years, yet revenues have reliably held within a pretty tight range.



    interestingly, if you compare the last 30 years to the previous 30 years, you will note that revenue as a % of GDP actually rose slightly when we started running with a lower top marginal tax rate.

    oh, and the "loophole" that you were suggesting be closed? was the loophole of freedom of movement - the wealthy are more easily able to relocate to low tax environments, and their incentive to do so is greater. so unless you want us to become a nation where you have to get permission from the government to move.....
    You are aware that your graph doesn't show what you claim right? All I see there is top marginal tax rate, which leaves out crucial information such as the % of people paying that tax rate, the % of people paying other tax rates, total collections vs expected collections, etc.

    In terms of what loop holes to close, that would be the ability to hide money in a foreign country. If a country wants to be a tax haven, then we tax the hell out of any money that comes back into american soil, even if it comes in indirectly. Sure, theoretically, people could move out of the country, but I doubt they would.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 05-06-11 at 09:16 AM.

  10. #70
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Raising Revenue More Important Than Raising Tax Rates?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    anyway, so far it looks like only one person agrees with the President.
    The fact that only 9 people voted in the poll should be a clue that people find the poll poorly constructed, not that the results are in any way meaningful.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •