View Poll Results: Would you support Progressive Grading?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 16.13%
  • No

    26 83.87%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 289

Thread: Progressive Grading in School

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If grades are worthless, then why are you against them being transferred?
    I said grades are worthless if they are not reflective of the education the student received, big difference.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #42
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I said grades are worthless if they are not reflective of the education the student received, big difference.
    The effective value of money is the same thing.
    You'll notice that people who depend heavily on "free" money value it in the same way.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #43
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    How are they dissimilar?
    It's a comparison between taxing results, high grades and high incomes.

    Both are heavily dependent on work involved, to achieve the higher result.
    What I think stands out, is that most people believe that their grades are reflective of their work, while they think most high incomes are not.

    It's a biased and inconsistent approach.

    Edit: I did my thread first, the other was coat tailing me.
    You are honestly asking how income tax is different from grades?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You are honestly asking how income tax is different from grades?
    No I'm asking why it is wrong to tax high grades, why is it right to tax high incomes.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The effective value of money is the same thing.
    You'll notice that people who depend heavily on "free" money value it in the same way.
    I'm not arguing that, I'm arguing that money still has value, no matter how it is earned. You can spend earned money the same way as you can free money. The same can not be said for grades.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #46
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I'm not arguing that, I'm arguing that money still has value, no matter how it is earned. You can spend earned money the same way as you can free money. The same can not be said for grades.
    I dunno, if I earned a degree by not doing a lot of work towards my grades but still passing, I'd say that was pretty valuable.

    Especially if I got a decent job out of it.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #47
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    No I'm asking why it is wrong to tax high grades, why is it right to tax high incomes.
    Because they are not the same thing. They are treated differently(because they are), you receive them based on different criteria, measure entirely different things. They are in fact nothing alike.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Because they are not the same thing. They are treated differently(because they are), you receive them based on different criteria, measure entirely different things. They are in fact nothing alike.
    Then why does the work you do in school, heavily reflect on the work you get in life?
    Would it be correct to say that education does not lead to a successful job and higher incomes, in general?

    In fact I think Your Star hit the nail on the head, earlier in the discussion, that simply giving people stuff does not teach them anything.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I dunno, if I earned a degree by not doing a lot of work towards my grades but still passing, I'd say that was pretty valuable.

    Especially if I got a decent job out of it.
    No it's not valuable, because you do not have the education to match that degree, and even if you do get a job with it, you will likely not be able to do your job, because you lack the education.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #50
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Then why does the work you do in school, heavily reflect on the work you get in life?
    Would it be correct to say that education does not lead to a successful job and higher incomes, in general?

    In fact I think Your Star hit the nail on the head, earlier in the discussion, that simply giving people stuff does not teach them anything.
    What does this have to do with what I said? You are making the most tenuous of connections to try and show that two dissimilar things are the same. They are not, they are dissimilar. This is why you should not steal talking points from Beck.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •