View Poll Results: Would you support Progressive Grading?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 16.13%
  • No

    26 83.87%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 289

Thread: Progressive Grading in School

  1. #231
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,757

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    What I find interesting in this statement is that you are assigning a moral value to the rich paying more taxes. I am willing to bet that to most liberals, the rich paying a higher percentage is neither moral nor immoral, but simply necessary.
    Paying a higher percentage for what? Income taxes? But that's clearly not working. We still have people who go hungry, have no homes and cannot purchase gasoline for their vehicles. Why shouldn't the rich have to pay a higher percentage for EVERYTHING? As you said, "it's necessary". Right?


  2. #232
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Paying a higher percentage for what? Income taxes? But that's clearly not working. We still have people who go hungry, have no homes and cannot purchase gasoline for their vehicles. Why shouldn't the rich have to pay a higher percentage for EVERYTHING? As you said, "it's necessary". Right?
    Because clearly at some point it becomes impractical. While there will always be more need than any level of help, public or private, can provide for, killing the golden goose kills it for everyone.

  3. #233
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Sure they are somewhat comparable. Just like Mike Tyson and the straw man share some similarities. However, if you try and treat them the same in the real-world you are a fool. Government policy should be based on those real world results, not analogies.
    That's exactly what I'm comparing, the real world results of such a situation.

    It has largely already been agreed to that the real world results of progressively taxing education, would lead to people graduating uneducated.
    A terrible result.

    What I'm also questioning is that progressively taxing people, leads to the same result, people having more money but not having the understanding of how to use it or make it effectively.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #234
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That's exactly what I'm comparing, the real world results of such a situation.

    It has largely already been agreed to that the real world results of progressively taxing education, would lead to people graduating uneducated.
    A terrible result.

    What I'm also questioning is that progressively taxing people, leads to the same result, people having more money but not having the understanding of how to use it or make it effectively.
    A huge problem with your analogy that just came to the surface of my mind (but was lingering down in my subconscious ever since I spotted this thread and I could not figure out how to fully express it, I think) is that grades aren't currency. They cannot be exchanged for goods and services. Moving grades around to those who did not earn them devalues the grades, because you can't use those grades for anything else. On the other hand, money still retains value when you move it around.

  5. #235
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,414

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Because clearly at some point it becomes impractical. While there will always be more need than any level of help, public or private, can provide for, killing the golden goose kills it for everyone.
    Your saying my points before I can type them
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #236
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Your saying my points before I can type them
    be more spikey.

  7. #237
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,414

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    A huge problem with your analogy that just came to the surface of my mind (but was lingering down in my subconscious ever since I spotted this thread and I could not figure out how to fully express it, I think) is that grades aren't currency. They cannot be exchanged for goods and services. Moving grades around to those who did not earn them devalues the grades, because you can't use those grades for anything else. On the other hand, money still retains value when you move it around.
    I already brought up this last night. Yet I don't think I got an answer for it.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #238
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I already brought up this last night. Yet I don't think I got an answer for it.
    Great minds think alike?

  9. #239
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    Let me flip this around. Lets say you are in favor of the consumption tax instead of progressive taxation. Naturally, you want to follow Harry's example and do the same for education. So students now receive a grade penalty when they consume the schools resources. Getting textbooks, using the school computer lab, taking the teachers time after call as result in a grade penalty. You can see the analogy between taxing both the student and taxpayer when consuming resources.
    Last edited by rathi; 04-30-11 at 08:23 PM.

  10. #240
    Professor
    ElCid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-11 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,784
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Progressive Grading in School

    You can cut and slice it any way you'd like. The main problem with American public schooling is American cultural decline. Nothing else can be blamed with any accuracy. Nothing short of a revolution will fix the problem. America is fast-becoming a nation of bums.
    NOTICE: I am not a troll, because what I write I believe, and I have no intention of derailing threads or manipulating human nature. I am not a terrorist, because I do not endorse the killing of innocent people, and I am not here to promote violence. I AM HERE ONLY TO EXPRESS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND ENJOY LIVELY DISCUSSION.

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •