View Poll Results: Are gay people "abnormal"?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 32.98%
  • No

    63 67.02%
Page 83 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 1134

Thread: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

  1. #821
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    01-05-18 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,296

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by as if View Post
    To have so much that it would not matter ... and the people would sit in wonder ahhhhhh
    that's my goal. 50%, perhaps, though we will see.

  2. #822
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Nope. Just asking you to clarify. You have not yet been able to describe how you choose an emotion, so I am trying to word my questions in such a way as to have you decribe this. You've been dancing around this issue, so I am attempting to word my comments so as you will stop dancing.



    So, again, you are saying that we have control over how we respond to these emotions/stimulus. Do you believe that we choose these emotions/stimulus?
    I believe we do, but over a much longer period of time. Every emotion we have other than the primal ones, result from thousands of "micro choices" throughout our lives. Because one doesn't think much about a choice, doesn't mean a conscious choice wasn't made. At the very minimum, we (as intelligent creatures) not only have control over how we deal with our emotions, but also how our emotions are instigated. This is why some people "fly off the handle" and some do not.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #823
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I don't buy it, simply because you have been avoiding the issue. You claim that you can choose your emotions, yet you offer no evidence of this, nor can you describe the process of how an emotion is formed. Describe exactly how you chose to like a food you like. You can describe eating it, deciding that you liked it and wanted to eat it again. You can describe what it is that you like about it. But you cannot descibe how that initial moment of enjoyment is formed. You are dancing around this.
    Simply put, you don't have to "buy it". It may very well be your impression that I am "dancing around" the issue, but I think it's more that in not being a trained psychologist, I'm not putting it in words you understand. You might try stepping away from your title for a minute and looking at it fresh.

    No, that is inaccurate. Liking or not liking something, at it's essence is an unconscious impulse. The secondary rationalizations and realizations may be responses to learned behaviors/ideas, but the initial impulse is innate and not something you can control.
    Please describe in detail the difference between an innate response and a compulsive response, then please tell me why compulsive disorders are not simply normal innate responses.

    This is accurate.
    redacted.

    This does not fall into the morality piece that we are discussing in the other thread. This is not an opinon, but something factual/logical. You have still never been able to prove that either orientation is not a choice and you have been unable to demonstrate any difference between the feelings that one has between the two orientations. Unless you can demonstrate that the process of emotional attachment is different for gays than it is for straights, your opinion on this matter valueless since it has no substantiation and is not logical.
    Nor have you or anyone been able to prove that orientation other than normal is anything other than a choice. I fully admit and understand that I am not a clinical or reserach pshycologist...however, not legitimate clinical or research psychologist (or any other Dr.) has been able to prove it beyond "it may be the result of"

    Nope. I'm right on target.
    No you're not, except perhaps you're right that agreeing to your perspective would sink my argument. The problem is, I don't agree with your perspective. If you weren't so convinced in your own perspective, you'd see that difference.

    You can disagree all you like, but it doesn't change the fact that you cannot and have not proven your position. An individual's emotions are innate and not chosen. The response to these emotions can be chosen and altered. This is the issue that you are arguing against and you have been unable to prove that it is incorrect.
    Nor have you, I'm afraid it boils down to a difference of opinion. You know full well you can not prove that orientation is anything other than choice, just like I can't prove it is.
    Last edited by mac; 05-07-11 at 02:26 PM.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #824
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I believe we do, but over a much longer period of time. Every emotion we have other than the primal ones, result from thousands of "micro choices" throughout our lives. Because one doesn't think much about a choice, doesn't mean a conscious choice wasn't made. At the very minimum, we (as intelligent creatures) not only have control over how we deal with our emotions, but also how our emotions are instigated. This is why some people "fly off the handle" and some do not.
    What lead you to the conclusion that homosexuality is chosen while heterosexuality is not?

  5. #825
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    What lead you to the conclusion that homosexuality is chosen while heterosexuality is not?
    Heterosexuality is the main and normal orientation of the human species and has obvious benifits to our species.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #826
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    181,745

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Heterosexuality is the main and normal orientation of the human species and has obvious benifits to our species.
    yet many heterosexuals choose not to breed-often the most prosperous and intelligent people which is bad for the species while those who breed the most are often people who spawn uncared for children with multiple partners leading to crime and poverty



  7. #827
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Heterosexuality is the main and normal orientation of the human species and has obvious benifits to our species.
    So do you think heterosexuals who are attracted to non-evolutionarily fit people choose their attraction?

  8. #828
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    181,745

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    So do you think heterosexuals who are attracted to non-evolutionarily fit people choose their attraction?
    big tatas?



  9. #829
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    big tatas?
    are a sign of evolutionary fitness i would assume.

  10. #830
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    181,745

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    are a sign of evolutionary fitness i would assume.
    actually I once read an interesting study many years ago

    sexually immature men and those with lower IQ's tend to go for women with big racks. more sophisticated and intellectual men prefer lithe figures. big boobed women tend to get strong but dumb men.

    women built like ballerinas tend to get smart clever mates



Page 83 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •