View Poll Results: Are gay people "abnormal"?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 32.98%
  • No

    63 67.02%
Page 14 of 114 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 1134

Thread: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

  1. #131
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    breathes oxygen, has red blood, speaks english:

    Yeah, and? The discussion at hand is "normality". Brutality and violence are certainly normal for human beings.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We are getting way off topic, but...

    First, yes, there are differences among evolutionary scientists as to the exact mechanisms of evolution. For example, does evolution work at a genetic level or on the level of individual creatures/plants/bacterium/etc? Does evolution work steadily, or are there periods of accelerated evolution? However, these same people agree that evolution does work.

    The scientific use of the word theory has a very concrete meaning, which means among other things that it fits all the known facts and has never been disproven. Evolution is a very strong theory, meaning that it is very very likely to be an accurate description of nature.
    It may be a strong theory, but it is merely a theory. There are also many things evolution can't explain, one example being how the first life-form came to be which started this evolutional parade. Methinks I'll check out books about evolution soon to more easily refute said evolutional claims.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Society is not nature.
    True, but my gut believed I could make a connection of some sort. Considering we humans, like nature, are creted from cumulative random forces and that all our beliefs are just concoctions of random chemical reactions in our brains... bleh. (I don't believe evolution, but it's fun to wield that standpoint from time to time.)

  3. #133
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I think it is the influences around us that make people decide that lifestyle. From an evolutional standpoint which demands survival and productivity, I do not believe we are "born" gay. If we were then the species is being culled off. We're meant to multiply, in regards to evolution. *Has read a few part of Darwin's book. In terms of Christianity, I don't believe people are born that way, either, because scriptures in both new and old state it is a "perversion." There may be fat genes, but I don't believe there are homosexual genes. If genes could count for our every notion, then am I to then assume that there's a Goth gene, or an Emo one, or a jock one (not sure on this one), a vore gene, a polygamy gene, etc?

    Do I hate homosexuals? No. I hate the sin, not the sinner. I don't view them with contempt because we all sin, constantly, from pride, to vanity, to lust, to vengeance, to greed, etc. My dislike of sin spreads to everyone equally, myself included. That's pretty much why I now view both political parties with contempt. *I don't mean to seem off-topic.

    Also, I know people who believed they were born gay, but then greatly changed their minds. How is that explained?
    First off, Darwin's book is the end all be all book about evolution, we have come leaps and bounds ahead of where Darwin was with his theory, and today it has more historical significance than scientific. Secondly there is no reason to assume that we as a species would be culled off by people being born gay. In primitive populations it would be determined by the rate of people born homosexual(assuming they wouldn't reproduce anyway) vs the rate of heterosexuals, and with my theory about how one is born homosexual, you don't even need to be homosexual to carry the predisposition. And also in our modern society homosexuality has no chance to quell our numbers, simply due to the fact that we have the medical technology to reproduce without sex. Also you must note that being homosexual doesn't exclude heterosexual activity.
    Religiously I have a differing opinion but that is for another thread.
    And with regards to the people who have "turned straight" there are just as many people who have recanted their "turning" and said that it is a bunch of bogus. My theory is that societally pressure will make us do alot of things, and this is no exception.

    Oh, and one more thing, being gay isn't a lifestyle, LGBT people live varying lifestyles, and I probably have about as much in common with a gay person from California as another person from Georgia. Lifestyle depends on where one is from, the job they have, they hobbies they have etc. I would say polygamy/polyandry are lifestyle choices, but not homosexuality.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #134
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    For how you define the word "abnormal", do you consider gays to be "abnormal"?
    Yes.

    ............
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #135
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So when someone eventually games the poll we can check and see the real results.
    Yes, asking a controversial question about a controversial subject is just asking for trouble.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #136
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    It's more, homosexuality isn't perfection... while heterosexuality is closer to perfection. Thats the easiest way for me to explain it. Again, im all for gay rights, i don't really care, but your argument can be used for ANY birth-defect/abnormality. Being born without an arm is just as abnormal as born being gay... it's just not what "nature" intended/ or what our genetic make-up intended.
    This is absolutely false.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #137
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Yes, asking a controversial question about a controversial subject is just asking for trouble.
    I think her point is that we can see the true results when someone tries to vote anonymously several times to skew the results.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #138
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    It may be a strong theory, but it is merely a theory. There are also many things evolution can't explain, one example being how the first life-form came to be which started this evolutional parade. Methinks I'll check out books about evolution soon to more easily refute said evolutional claims.
    A theory as it is used in the scientific sense is not "mere". While evolution does not explain how life began, it does not explain what gravity is either. The reason for both is they are outside the scope of the theory.


    True, but my gut believed I could make a connection of some sort. Considering we humans, like nature, are creted from cumulative random forces and that all our beliefs are just concoctions of random chemical reactions in our brains... bleh. (I don't believe evolution, but it's fun to wield that standpoint from time to time.)
    Society and the rules of society come about from the exact opposite of random.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #139
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Yes.

    ............
    I knew your answer.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #140
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think her point is that we can see the true results when someone tries to vote anonymously several times to skew the results.
    To be honest(and don't tell any one), but the "results" are actually pretty meaningless on multiple levels, especially considering on how I worded the question.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 14 of 114 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •