View Poll Results: Are gay people "abnormal"?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 32.98%
  • No

    63 67.02%
Page 105 of 114 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1134

Thread: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

  1. #1041
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    No. Actually some primates and birds are quite proficient at reasoning. What separates humans from other animals is our ability to generalize. That ability forms the basis of our language, mathematics, and abstract knowledge. We don't have a complete monopoly over that ability either, since African Grey Parrots are capable of categorizing and possess brains that are roughly equivalent to that of a 4 year old human child. The conception that animals can't reason is false and has been disproven numerous times. The only people who make that argument are theologians who find it inconvenient that humans are not quite as distinct from other animals as they feel we should be.
    You're both wrong. It's our ability to communicate that makes a special.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #1042
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    How can we know for sure that other animals do not posses at least a primitive language? It's just an assumption. It's nice to believe that we, as humans, are somehow the center of the universe, but we're not. The fact is, if we were wiped off the face of the planet, nature wouldn't miss a beat. In fact, the planet would be better off without the pollution and destruction.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  3. #1043
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    How can we know for sure that other animals do not posses at least a primitive language? It's just an assumption. It's nice to believe that we, as humans, are somehow the center of the universe, but we're not. The fact is, if we were wiped off the face of the planet, nature wouldn't miss a beat. In fact, the planet would be better off without the pollution and destruction.
    They likely do, it's our ability to communicate at the complexity we do that has enabled us to be what we are.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #1044
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    They likely do, it's our ability to communicate at the complexity we do that has enabled us to be what we are.
    ok, I agree.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  5. #1045
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    You're both wrong. It's our ability to communicate that makes a special.
    Animal communication can be as diverse and complicated as human communication.

    Look at whales ya loser! Whales can almost talk! They understand us! Whales are just big gay communication specialists!! So bugger off you whale hatting loser pants! I bet you are the captain of a [gasp!] Japanese whaling vessel on whale wars! OMG! WTF!

    This is NSFW unless you are in hair design or fashon..

    This is a picture of the "BJ Whale Shark."



    This is the Beluga or more popularly known "cross dressing whale."



    This is a "sperm" whale (hint, hint) eating some kalimari! How gay is that???

    Last edited by Black Dog; 05-11-11 at 11:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #1046
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    How can we know for sure that other animals do not posses at least a primitive language?
    Because they don't. They do however communicate and in some cases quite well. This however does not make them intelligent as even bee's can communicate.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    It's just an assumption. It's nice to believe that we, as humans, are somehow the center of the universe, but we're not.
    Considering we can blow the planet and all it's abundant life to nothingness, I beg to differ, lol. Nature ain't got nothing on man insofar as destructive power goes.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    The fact is, if we were wiped off the face of the planet, nature wouldn't miss a beat. In fact, the planet would be better off without the pollution and destruction.
    Very true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #1047
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Animals do not understand the concepts of right and wrong or art etc.
    Animals demonstrate morality.

    Animals can tell right from wrong - Telegraph

    They are not "proficient at reasoning" in the way humans are, not even remotely the same. No comparison here.
    Incorrect. In fact, New Caledonian crows through scientific experiments have been proven to possess causal reasoning.

    A 4 year old human child does not understand those basic concepts yet either, hence they have no contract rights etc.
    Given that your argument was that humans are different than animals and not that adult humans are different than animals, your argument seems to be slipping.

    As soon as you can show an animal, any animal that understands stealing is against the law, understand past and future or appreciate a piece of art, you will have a point.
    Many of these things differ within human cultures. For example, not every culture perceives time as linear, not every culture has the same conception of stealing, and not every culture appreciates art. The fact that you argue that these are the defining characteristics of humanity when not all humans even share these traits, tends to show more of your ethnocentrism than your understanding of what makes humans different than animals.

    Animals cannot reason or understand abtract concpets as humans do, period.
    Baboons trained on computers show they are capable of abstract reasoning - Science, News - The Independent

    Do you like being wrong? I absolutely love proving theologians like you wrong. It gives me plenty of reason to get up in the morning.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 05-11-11 at 11:45 PM.

  8. #1048
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Considering we can blow the planet and all it's abundant life to nothingness, I beg to differ, lol. Nature ain't got nothing on man insofar as destructive power goes.
    By that logic, a mindless asteroid meets your standard of superiority.

  9. #1049
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    You're both wrong. It's our ability to communicate that makes a special.
    Mac, meet Alex.


  10. #1050
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Mac, meet Alex.

    To be fair, the parrot isn't actually communicating, it's reciting by rote.

    But I agree with you that the ability to communicate is not unique to humans.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •