View Poll Results: Are gay people "abnormal"?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 32.98%
  • No

    63 67.02%
Page 101 of 114 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1134

Thread: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

  1. #1001
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Does it make a difference whether its genetic or a choice really, the end result is the same. I can only go by my stepdaughter who says she was not born that way.
    TO me it does and it doesn't. I recognize that people are gay and are going to stay that way. They should be treated with dignity and fairness, however...my religious beliefs say it's wrong and opposes SSM. What that means to me is that I oppose SSM. I've split on issues with my religion before, so when, if ever, it is proven not to be a choice, I will switch my support in favor (or at the very least abstain) of SSM. Answer your question?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #1002
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, I am saying what researchers say... from doing research. There is no "glossing over". You don't like the words I've chosen, though they are similar.

    But tell us mac, what is the difference between saying "I assume" and "it may be"? Neither gives a definitive... but why don't you tell us the difference since you seem to be stuck on this.
    The point is you don't even say "assume" unless pressed. This isn't a personal attack on you, CC, I hope you don't feel it is. From your "tone" I'm guessing that you are.

    What I am saying is that in general, you included: people say that...Researchers say that it is a compbination of several factors including etc, etc.....rather than saying.....Researchers say that it may be a combination of several factors including etc, etc. In most cases, you don't even include the "it is assumed" part. I've called you on this before for saying it this way (twice I think) and both times your response to me was...."oh, ok...it may be"....

    This leads people to base their opinions on innacurate information. But, I recognize the quibble of symantics in this particular case between you and I. May question would be, why don't you use the wording most of these studies use...and that it is usually "it may be a combination of"?
    Last edited by mac; 05-11-11 at 08:46 AM.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #1003
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    TO me it does and it doesn't. I recognize that people are gay and are going to stay that way. They should be treated with dignity and fairness, however...my religious beliefs say it's wrong and opposes SSM. What that means to me is that I oppose SSM. I've split on issues with my religion before, so when, if ever, it is proven not to be a choice, I will switch my support in favor (or at the very least abstain) of SSM. Answer your question?

    Heh I absolutley totally agree with you, except my opposition is not based on religious beliefs. I believe its both a choice for some and some are genetically predisposed. Do i know that? hell no, I think that.

  4. #1004
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The point is you don't even say "assume" unless pressed. This isn't a personal attack on you, CC, I hope you don't feel it is. From your "tone" I'm guessing that you are.

    What I am saying is that in general, you included: people say that...Researchers say that it is a compbination of several factors including etc, etc.....rather than saying.....Researchers say that it may be a combination of several factors including etc, etc. In most cases, you don't even include the "it is assumed" part. I've called you on this before for saying it this way (twice I think) and both times your response to me was...."oh, ok...it may be"....

    This leads people to base their opinions on innacurate information. But, I recognize the quibble of symantics in this particular case between you and I. May question would be, why don't you use the wording most of these studies use...and that it is usually "it may be a combination of"?
    No, you are quibbling over semantics. You know my position on this... it's been clear from as long as you've discussed this with me.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #1005
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, you are quibbling over semantics. You know my position on this... it's been clear from as long as you've discussed this with me.
    I know it, since I've asked you to clarify it to me. However, I've seen you omit it in postings that are not repsonses to me.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #1006
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I know it, since I've asked you to clarify it to me. However, I've seen you omit it in postings that are not repsonses to me.
    I pretty much always say the same thing when I write the theory on sexual orientation. If I alter words it's due to paraphrasing myself. I am saying the same thing.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #1007
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Moderator's Warning:
    Are Gay People "Abnormal"?Just an FYI. Some of you may have noticed that the poll numbers have been changing. This happens quite frequently in any thread concerning gay marriage, gay rights, or homosexuality. SOMEONE comes on and skews the poll by voting MANY times for whatever the anti- position is. I have been tracking this jerk for quite sometime... and I laid down quite an effective trap in this thread for him. I now have his IP address logged and know precisely who he is. I advise him to cease doing this as his ISP may be getting notified of his spamming behavior... amongst other consequences.
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 05-12-11 at 12:25 AM.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #1008
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Just an FYI. Some of you may have noticed that the poll numbers have been changing. This happens quite frequently in any thread concerning gay marriage, gay rights, or homosexuality. SOMEONE comes on and skews the poll by voting MANY times for whatever the anti- position is. I have been tracking this jerk for quite sometime... and I laid down quite an effective trap in this thread for him. I now have his IP address logged and know precisely who he is. I advise him to cease doing this as his ISP may be getting notified of his spamming behavior... amongst other consequences.
    I've been awake for 33 minutes, and you just made my day. /cheers

  9. #1009
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You really have to ask that? With very few exceptions we are the only animals that kill for sport etc.

    Yes we are very different.
    Not so much. We aren't the only animals that kill for sport.Chimpanzees have been known to kill for reasons other than pure instinct, for example.


    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Rape, murder and incest are not examples of bad animal behavior. They are examples of bad human behavior as animals cannot rape etc because they don't know any better, they don't have morals and we do.
    Most people who rape and murder are sociopaths and lack any sence of morality. Morals develop with culture and how one is raised. There is no universal standard of behavior, and many people justify absolutely horrifying behavior.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The rest is just violence when animals in 99.9% of the time are doing it to eat. We are doing it to eat as well but also for sport.



    According to science the answer for the most is that no evidence to date shows homosexuality is physical in DNA etc. No evidence of it at all, and we have looked for the last what? 20 to 30 years?
    There is not likely a single gene responsible but rather many genes which predispose certain individuals towards homosexuality. When deciding what causes certain characteristics in people, it is unwise to limit those reasons to either nature or nurture because likely, it is a mixture of both.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Most of the brain research I saw was transgendered people or men who thought they were female etc. This is not truly homosexuality as it is not 2 males as one feels they are female and goes to great lengths to be just that. So I don't agree.
    It depends on the individual. As a society, we often try to stick certain groups of people in a category so they can be labeled. People are homosexual for a variety of reasons. Some men, for example may be gay but by looking at them, no one can even tell. Others dress the part. Of course, I can't say for sure what the specific causes are, but many of them have always felt that way.
    Last edited by Alyssa; 05-11-11 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  10. #1010
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    Re: Are Gay People "Abnormal"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    TO me it does and it doesn't. I recognize that people are gay and are going to stay that way. They should be treated with dignity and fairness, however...my religious beliefs say it's wrong and opposes SSM. What that means to me is that I oppose SSM. I've split on issues with my religion before, so when, if ever, it is proven not to be a choice, I will switch my support in favor (or at the very least abstain) of SSM. Answer your question?
    So then, do you agree with all other marriages or even just things that people are allowed to legally do even if they are completely a choice when those things conflict with your religious beliefs? Why or why not?

    Those that you don't agree with, would you vote on laws to ban them just because a person could choose to abstain from that particular activity/behavior?

    If you didn't vote for those things, would you think it okay for others to vote to ban those things based on those things being against their religious beliefs or just personal beliefs and it being a choice?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •