View Poll Results: What do you think of the ACLU?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • The ACLU is awesome

    20 43.48%
  • The ACLU sucks

    13 28.26%
  • I'm indifferent

    5 10.87%
  • Other

    8 17.39%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 135

Thread: Aclu

  1. #61
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Aclu

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    its that a strong majority of their members claim to be far left does make them close

    that's why more than a few prosecutors and conservatives call the ACLU the "American Communist Lawyers Union" or Aethist communist Lobbying Union or "American Criminals Love Us"
    More than a few conservatives have called CNN "Communist News Network."
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #62
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Aclu

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    So the KKK is a left wing organization?
    KKK is a racial slur... according to Ptif

  3. #63
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Aclu

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I assume this is because the extent to which "civil liberties" exist is pretty subjective. Some definitions are nebulous and vague on issues like gun rights, etc.
    Gun rights are explicitly mentioned in the Bill of Rights, and yes I do find some of their church and state cases to be excessive and missing the point.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  4. #64
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Aclu

    The thing about rights is they are the most important when they are hard. The right to freedom of religion is easy, right up until Muslims want to put in a mosque next door. The right to free speech is easy, until people are protesting outside dead servicemember's funerals. The right to bear arms is easy, right up until some one goes into a school and shoots a bunch of kids. The right to a jury trial is easy, right up till OJ walks out a free man.

    However, it's those times when these freedoms, these rights, are hard that is when they are most important. Because once you start to make exceptions, you start to limit every one's rights.

    I do not like guns. I don't want to be around them, I don't want to own one. However, I understand that the NRA is an important organization because they do look out for the rights of those who do like guns and want to own them. I may not agree with every case they argue, but then again, I don't agree with every case the ACLU argues. This does not change the fact that both groups are important defenders of the rights of US citizens.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #65
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Aclu

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    its that a strong majority of their members claim to be far left does make them close

    that's why more than a few prosecutors and conservatives call the ACLU the "American Communist Lawyers Union" or Aethist communist Lobbying Union or "American Criminals Love Us"
    If believing that civil liberties are important makes me a far left liberal, I accept the tag whole heartedly. Insulting people for standing up for personal liberty is hilarious.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #66
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Aclu

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Let's see. Cross is desert for 70 years. Then cross gets national exposure(hint: this is a change in circumstances). Some one takes the cross. Who to blame? Well, if you don't care to think about it, you simply blame those who filed suit against it. However, if you do think about it, you realize that this is a stupid assumption because of the ACLU was going to do things like this, there would be a long history of it, which there is not.

    I realize you have a need to disparage any liberal group, but making charges that even those who have investigated it are not making simply because you want it to be true is not just poor debate tactic, it is the extremely low tactic of trying to smear your opponent. I understand, you are unable to actually argue against the ACLU on it's merits, so you have to go the cheap route, but it is not working.
    Ok, look, that part about it being in an ACLU execs office was a joke. Go back to my first post. I said they stole it or they inspired somebody to steal it. As you point out, that cross got national media coverage because the ACLU decided to go after it. That attention inspired some low life to take it. See? I'm not saying they're criminally responsible, just that the cross would still be there if the ACLU had left it alone.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  7. #67
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Aclu

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    "However you feel about the cross, this was not permissible and should not have been done," said Peter Eliasberg, an attorney for the ACLU of Southern California, which has fought against the monument in court."

    Mojave Desert cross, focus of long legal battle, is stolen - Los Angeles Times
    Wow, what tepid "condemnation" that is. I call that 'lip service' (and not the good kind either...ahem...sorry, couldn't resist).
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #68
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Aclu

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If believing that civil liberties are important makes me a far left liberal, I accept the tag whole heartedly. Insulting people for standing up for personal liberty is hilarious.
    How did the Mojave cross violate your civil liberties? Yeah, good thing we have a group protecting us from such offensive things.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  9. #69
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Aclu

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Ok, look, that part about it being in an ACLU execs office was a joke. Go back to my first post. I said they stole it or they inspired somebody to steal it. As you point out, that cross got national media coverage because the ACLU decided to go after it. That attention inspired some low life to take it. See? I'm not saying they're criminally responsible, just that the cross would still be there if the ACLU had left it alone.
    Bush did not heed the warnings that AQ was planning an attack on the US. Therefore he is responsible for 9/11. That argument is pure bull****, just as your argument which makes the exact same premise is.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #70
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Aclu

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Wow, what tepid "condemnation" that is. I call that 'lip service' (and not the good kind either...ahem...sorry, couldn't resist).
    We call this "moving the goalpost". You would not accept any statement by the ACLU against the cross stealing, but when called on the fact they did condemn it, you move the goalpost and think it is not good enough.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •