View Poll Results: Is it OK for Blacks to Bash Whites for Comedy Purposes?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    59 46.83%
  • No

    67 53.17%
Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 370

Thread: Is it Ok for Black Comedians to Bash Whites?

  1. #61
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is it Ok for Black Comedians to Bash Whites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Sure, historically these things did happen; but currently do not. No one alive today has had to face that if they were born in the US.
    You be wrong. My mom is 83 years old. She remembers all that crap. If she were a black woman, as her daughter, I would be mightily influenced by (and tremendously hurt by) those memories she'd have. Rosa Parks just died in 2005...her family? They remember. In 1963, George Wallace said, "Segregation now...segregation tomorrow...segregation forever." Are you so young that you think all of the black people who lived under the terrible prejudice of the south are dead?? They're not. They remember.

    Quote Originally Posted by TDZ View Post
    Is it really different Maggie?...However, if a black individual were to come into my neighborhood and begin to scream the words honkie or cracker or another derogatory term and the whites were driven to anger we would more than likely be seen as comitting a hate crime against the black or incited us as the majority of jurisdictions do not view those words as being inflammatory even though they have pretty much the same meaning.
    That's my point really. Whites (except in gang neighborhoods, imo) would not be horribly offendd by the words cracker or honkie. At least that's my Chicago view on the subject. Whites from the south might feel differently.

    Is it a double standard? Yes, it is in my mind.
    I can understand your point...and I'd agree it's a double standard in that the word nigger is a hate-filled term and the words honkie and cracker are meant to be. But I don't think whites hear them the same way. I also think blacks do themselves a horrible injustice by perpetuating the word.

    Let's move this a little further though, to maybe bring it home a little better. Have you ever seen a caucasian child grow up in a majority minority area, to be the only caucasian? This child is subjected daily to the attacks from the minority children utilizing the very words that we laugh at. These child who will taunt the caucasian are never charged with a hate crime, they are only told to knock it off at best. However, let that little caucasian child slip one time and utilize the "N" word or call a Mexican child a "spic" or an Arab child a "towel head" and they will immediately be reprimanded for racism and potentially utilizing hate language.

    We bust our behinds to teach caucasian children to not utilize these words and that everyone is created equal, yet the minorities that we have fought so hard to protect are the very ones that find humor in slamming the caucasian race. Remember, racism knows no race when it victimizes.
    I have believed for many years that here is far less prejudice in the white community than in the black. Sad. But I believe it's true.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    But most Blacks today have not had the same happen to them, I was born in 1962, I had nothing to do with the Dixiecrat racism of the south, I am from Cuba but I look white so I get treated like I am white from blacks. I hate being called a "spick" or shark bait or raft monkey, Yes these terms are used against cubans in south florida by blacks and whites, to tell you the truth I don't like the calling of names even in a joke, I think in demeans the person you are using it against. Sorry I thisnk it's in inappropriate to use in any setting.
    I agree with you. I'd venture to guess that every single minority that's come to the United States has put up with it. Chinks...Spics...Towel Heads...Camel Jockeys...Polacks...Dagos...Slants...Beaners...Boh unks...Coons... Well, I think you get the picture.

    But still, in my mind, there is no uglier word for a person than nigger. All the rest of the nicknames? Fair fight, in my opinion. But the word nigger was used on human beings who were treated, in many cases, less than human. They were owned no differently than if they were dogs. Slavery really is a terrible legacy. And nigger is the word that hammers it home.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #62
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Is it Ok for Black Comedians to Bash Whites?

    Since people asked when the "n" word gets used, and I have already brought up Joe Rogan, here's Joe Rogan using it:


  3. #63
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    05-01-11 @ 04:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    65

    Re: Is it Ok for Black Comedians to Bash Whites?

    Since this is evolving in a good way, except maybe for Rogan, let's talk about the other nationalities for a moment.

    The Jewish race was & still is persecuted, at times other races committed genocide against them.
    Irish were used to drain swamps in the south because the blacks we're to valuable. If a property owner sent in a black slave and they died of malaria while draining the swamps he lost his investment in the slave, but if he sent in an Irishman and he contracted Malaria and died then the property owner got out of paying him.
    Chinese: Should we even begin to discuss how they were used to build the railroads and how the railroad companies treated them?

    We're the blacks persecuted and the "N" word used against them? Yes, they were. Noone today is going to argue that.

    Now, you might argue that the Jewish people managed to escape.
    The Irish & Chinese we working paid jobs. And you will be right.

    However, the blacks were given food & clothing. While they were slaves and they were owned by property owners, few were treated as badly as most would like us to believe. In fact, many seem to forget that slaves were viewed as property and while it was necessary to commit certain acts against them, they were an asset and it was widely known that if you physically abused them then their productivity would be lower because of the injury. For this reason alone many slave owners worked to provide reasonable living conditions. If they were treated so badly, why did so many of them stay on the very same plantations and continue to work as share croppers for the very plantation owners who allegedly abused them?

    Is the "N" word offensive Maggie? Yeah, it is one of the most offensive words in our language to many. But don't be so quick to think it's the most offensive. Ask a person of Jewish descent what word they find most offensive. I'm betting you will get a different answer.

  4. #64
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is it Ok for Black Comedians to Bash Whites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    It's okay for comedians to be racist if they're funny.
    Best post of the whole thread.

  5. #65
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Is it Ok for Black Comedians to Bash Whites?

    Another great white comedian talking about race (Bill Burr):


  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is it Ok for Black Comedians to Bash Whites?

    Quote Originally Posted by TDZ View Post
    We see it on TV and in the movies everyday. A black comedian or a black sitcom or a black movie. They move directly into bashing on whites, calling them honkies, crackers and other derogatory terms. Often times they'll have whites appear to be ignorant about the world around them and so on.

    They're are even stations, BET, that tailor a large segment of their broadcasts are directed right at this type of comedy.

    So, should this be allowed or is this another type of racism? Should whites be allowed to launch all white networks, such as WET, that target their jokes towards blacks?

    Keep in mind, blacks use the term "cracker" and "honkie" (recently heard Kid Rock use Honkie) all the time, when's the last time you heard a modern movie where a white used the "N" word?
    Comedians of all races can say whatever the hell the want in my opinion. If they make a joke and it isn't funny, they'll be called racist. That just means they suck at their job.

  7. #67
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Is it Ok for Black Comedians to Bash Whites?

    Greg Giraldo doing a bit where he wears black face and pretends to be black (RIP)




    Here's two of the greats, George Carlin and Richard Pryor, talking about race:



    Dave Chappelle is no stranger to talking about race either:



    More Bill Burr on racist movies:



    I hope all of these videos sufficient answered your question about racism in comedy.
    Last edited by whysoserious; 04-28-11 at 01:08 AM.

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is it Ok for Black Comedians to Bash Whites?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So, who is n ow forced to sit in the back of the bus, sleep in a different hotel, or drink out of separate fountains, or use a different restroom, or step off the sidewalk when a white went by....?

    Sure, historically these things did happen; but currently do not. No one alive today has had to face that if they were born in the US.

    The reason there is now a big difference between nigger and cracker is that people today keep insisting that there is a big difference between the two. Racists.
    That would be true if 1) Racism didn't exist anymore. 2) Racism against blacks (the minority) wasn't more common and more detrimental than racism against whites (the majority) is.

    And before someone says, blacks are more racist than whites. You don't know the difference between racism and prejudice. Oftentimes, black prejudices against whites are supplemented by an inferiority complex (see "speaking white" and "good hair") while white prejudice is usually complemented by a superiority complex (see "nigger" and clutching your purse when a black man walks by). When blacks become the majority and occupy most white collar/influential positions in the country, then we can talk about nigger and cracker being the same thing.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is it Ok for Black Comedians to Bash Whites?

    Quote Originally Posted by TDZ View Post
    We see it on TV and in the movies everyday. A black comedian or a black sitcom or a black movie. They move directly into bashing on whites, calling them honkies, crackers and other derogatory terms. Often times they'll have whites appear to be ignorant about the world around them and so on.

    They're are even stations, BET, that tailor a large segment of their broadcasts are directed right at this type of comedy.

    So, should this be allowed or is this another type of racism? Should whites be allowed to launch all white networks, such as WET, that target their jokes towards blacks?

    Keep in mind, blacks use the term "cracker" and "honkie" (recently heard Kid Rock use Honkie) all the time, when's the last time you heard a modern movie where a white used the "N" word?
    I think race based comedy is hilarious, no matter which way it goes.

    See, The Amazing Racist.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #70
    User 2K05GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    09-16-11 @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    71

    Re: Is it Ok for Black Comedians to Bash Whites?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    But still, in my mind, there is no uglier word for a person than nigger. All the rest of the nicknames? Fair fight, in my opinion. But the word nigger was used on human beings who were treated, in many cases, less than human. They were owned no differently than if they were dogs. Slavery really is a terrible legacy. And nigger is the word that hammers it home.
    Quote Originally Posted by TDZ View Post
    Since this is evolving in a good way, except maybe for Rogan, let's talk about the other nationalities for a moment.

    The Jewish race was & still is persecuted, at times other races committed genocide against them.
    Irish were used to drain swamps in the south because the blacks we're to valuable. If a property owner sent in a black slave and they died of malaria while draining the swamps he lost his investment in the slave, but if he sent in an Irishman and he contracted Malaria and died then the property owner got out of paying him.
    Chinese: Should we even begin to discuss how they were used to build the railroads and how the railroad companies treated them?

    We're the blacks persecuted and the "N" word used against them? Yes, they were. Noone today is going to argue that.

    Now, you might argue that the Jewish people managed to escape.
    The Irish & Chinese we working paid jobs. And you will be right.

    However, the blacks were given food & clothing. While they were slaves and they were owned by property owners, few were treated as badly as most would like us to believe. In fact, many seem to forget that slaves were viewed as property and while it was necessary to commit certain acts against them, they were an asset and it was widely known that if you physically abused them then their productivity would be lower because of the injury. For this reason alone many slave owners worked to provide reasonable living conditions. If they were treated so badly, why did so many of them stay on the very same plantations and continue to work as share croppers for the very plantation owners who allegedly abused them?

    Is the "N" word offensive Maggie? Yeah, it is one of the most offensive words in our language to many. But don't be so quick to think it's the most offensive. Ask a person of Jewish descent what word they find most offensive. I'm betting you will get a different answer.
    Whites may not be offended by words like OPIE, Cracker Etc.. when used in a context that is meant to be funny, but when used In a way to demean or offend then it hurts.
    I remember when I was just out of high school I was working as an Electrician apprentice and my Journeyman was a black guy named Major. He was one cool guy, tought me a lot, for over a year we worked together, I used the N word in affection some times, he would call me shark bait and something else, like Rickey Ricardo, I can't remember now. but one day I got real mad at him for something and I let out the Fing Nigger word, Well Major was 6.8" 250 arms as big as my legs.. I heard 3 foot steps and I got hit from behind like a mack truck, I flew 15 feet through a framed studded wall into the garage. Keep in mind I was 5.8" 140 lbs man I never used a derogatory word again in fun or anger. The worst part was that it hurt our friendship and partnership. I will never forgive myself for using that word.

    My point is that once we get so complacent using terms meant to hurt in fun, that sometime it will hurt the ones you least want to hurt. I refrain from using these terms for anyone, Black, White, Yellow Brown or Red. There is a reason they were made up to begin with, to Hurt. so please don't say one is worse than the other, from a blacks perspective the word "Nigger" is the worst ever, For a Jewish person, "Kike" is the worst, to a Spanish person "Spick" is the worst, for a Gay person "Faggot" is the worst.
    Personally I think they all are the worst words ever used and I prefer not to use them period.
    Last edited by 2K05GT; 04-28-11 at 01:10 AM.
    Nugent/Norris 2012
    Left vs Right, like two retards fighting it out over whom is more retarded.

Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •