View Poll Results: Constitutional or Unconstitutional?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's Constitutional To Lease Your Body for Another's Pleasure

    33 82.50%
  • It's Unconstitutional to Lease your body for Another's Pleasure.

    7 17.50%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 131

Thread: Prostitution: Constitutional or Unconstitutional? You Decide

  1. #91
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Prostitution: Constitutional or Unconstitutional? You Decide

    Quote Originally Posted by Iwa View Post
    Who is the government to tell ME that I cant have sexual intercourse with someone else for money? It has nothing to do with right or wrong good or bad it has to do with whether you should be allowed to or not. The government can tell you not to kill someone because thats someone else, but the government can't tell you you cant sell yourself. Because thats you.
    Would anyone here want their daughter to be a prostitute, or a porn queen, cause I think they're the same thing pretty much. I would die inside everyday if my kid was doing this.

    People cannot do anything they want because we have laws that prevent anarchy. I think prostitution has a tendency to lean toward anything goes Most prostitutes in brothels have to work when they are ill, menstruating, and pregnant. They have to do what the John wants. They have to pay room and board and like 50% of what they make to the brothel owner. Sex trafficking would get easier. Women being forced into prostitution from other countries because they are poor. More children would be abused. More people would get HIV because it takes almost 6 weeks to really know if someone is HIV positive after being tested. There's a window that can say you're ok, and then you find out you're not.

    You might say these women love sex, and that's there choice to sell it. My answer is most women only love sex when they are in love with a single partner, all the other baloney is untrue. There's a lot of porn out there that says differently, but most women want one man.

    There are prostitutes who fake it, but many women do this with their partners all the time. Women have different psyches about sex. There has to be a lot of foreplay for many of us. Once the foreplay has kicked in, it's really quite fabulous.

    Too much prostitution for men can lead to laziness when they get a real GF.

    Here's a quote:

    The US Department of State, wrote in its Nov. 24, 2004 article "The Link Between Prostitution and Sex Trafficking" provided on its website:
    "The U.S. Government adopted a strong position against legalized prostitution in a December 2002 National Security Presidential Directive based on evidence that prostitution is inherently harmful and dehumanizing, and fuels trafficking in persons, a form of modern-day slavery. Prostitution and related activities—including pimping and patronizing or maintaining brothels—fuel the growth of modern-day slavery by providing a façade behind which traffickers for sexual exploitation operate.
    Where prostitution is legalized or tolerated, there is a greater demand for human trafficking victims and nearly always an increase in the number of women and children trafficked into commercial sex slavery...
    Few activities are as brutal and damaging to people as prostitution. Field research in nine countries concluded that 60-75 percent of women in prostitution were raped, 70-95 percent were physically assaulted, and 68 percent met the criteria for post traumatic stress disorder in the same range as treatment-seeking combat veterans and victims of state-organized torture. Beyond this shocking abuse, the public health implications of prostitution are devastating and include a myriad of serious and fatal diseases, including HIV/AIDS...
    State attempts to regulate prostitution by introducing medical check-ups or licenses don’t address the core problem: the routine abuse and violence that form the prostitution experience and brutally victimize those caught in its netherworld. Prostitution leaves women and children physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually devastated. Recovery takes years, even decades—often, the damage can never be undone."
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  2. #92
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,998

    Re: Prostitution: Constitutional or Unconstitutional? You Decide

    Quote Originally Posted by TDZ View Post
    1. Abortion - The Conservative Platform is strong in it's position on Pro-Life. It's not the Liberals trying to overturn Roe v Wade.

    snip

    Now, in the Conservative camp if a woman owned her own body then they would have no position whatsoever on Abortion, in that it's totally up to the woman. In prostitution, where there is no "Forced Prostituion" only voluntary if a woman did own her body then she would be free to lease/rent/sell it off as she saw fit.
    While I may not agree with the stance at least there is a basis for this stance, in that a life (in theory) is at stake, whereas in prostitution, force issues aside, there is no more risk than say skydiving, and all that are on the two adult willing particpants only.

    [QUOTE}In addition, neither party condones one destroying their own body. Both Platforms, in their own sense, are against substance abuse, self-multilation beyond piercings & tattoos, suicide, driving without a seatbelt and in some instances even helmet laws. If we truly "owned" our bodies then we would be totally free to do with them whatever we wanted regardless of the consequences to ourselves. Drug consumption would not be illegal if we did own them.[/QUOTE]

    To some conservatives, and even to some liberals, such self-mutilation is destroying one's body. For that matter the political left would tell us what we can and can't eat or at least be offered by restraunts and stores. That's no different from the religious right telling us what kinds of sex we can have. Neither side really belives we "own" our bodies. They just disagree as to what aspects they will allow us to control.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Prostitution: Constitutional or Unconstitutional? You Decide

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Politicians prostitute themselves on a daily basis, so I don't see why HONEST prostitutes can't do the same.
    We are speaking of sex for pay specifically.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Prostitution: Constitutional or Unconstitutional? You Decide

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Porno is legal - why not other means of sex as income?

    On the other hand - it is illegal to sell your bodyparts to someone else for their use as a transplant, etc - netting a black market of organs, etc. . . so I'm on the fence.
    It's not the immediate act itself, but what it necessarily leads to which is undesirable.

    Porn depicting realistic children, for example, is illegal even when no children are involved not because of some grandstanding moral high-horse, but because child porn leads to child abuse. Pedophiles, those interested in such porn, don't stop with videos. Pedophiles always escalate. Child porn is thus illegal to curb that escalation into real child abuse.

    Selling your own organs is another good example. Yes it's your body, but you are not allowed to sell your organs because when organs had a legal value, criminals took initiative and began serial killing to fulfill the demand of the organ market. It was a real big problem far beyond grave and morgue robbing, which is why we outlawed it.

    Likewise, a woman can go sell her sexual services, but make it legal and pimps start running sex rings and taking advantage. In Nevada the abused, drug addicted street-walker is the norm, not the clean 'professional' located in a licensed brothel. Criminals take over and continually escalate, bringing in women from other countries against their will. The human sex-slave market is alive and well in Nevada.

    It's imposable to have an informed opinion on the topic of prostitution without looking at what it leads to.

  5. #95
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Prostitution: Constitutional or Unconstitutional? You Decide

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Porn depicting realistic children, for example, is illegal even when no children are involved not because of some grandstanding moral high-horse, but because child porn leads to child abuse. Pedophiles, those interested in such porn, don't stop with videos. Pedophiles always escalate. Child porn is thus illegal to curb that escalation into real child abuse.
    None of this is true. There is no evidence whatsoever that any exposure to pornography, depicting adults, real children, or fake children, encourages or leads to the abuse of children. At all. Zero. None. Don't make stuff up.

    There is, however, the possibility that such desires could be (in some cases) satiated with a proxy, like porn. After all, there are plenty of guys who look at rape porn, but then don't go out and rape anyone. Their desires are fleeting, and satisfied with fantasy. Why would pedophiles be any different?

    Selling your own organs is another good example. Yes it's your body, but you are not allowed to sell your organs because when organs had a legal value, criminals took initiative and began serial killing to fulfill the demand of the organ market. It was a real big problem far beyond grave and morgue robbing, which is why we outlawed it.
    This part is actually true. And it makes sense. Even if you catch the perpetrator afterwards, they still stole someone's body parts and, you know... murdered them. So really, the problem is murderers. But at least the logic here is sound.

    Likewise, a woman can go sell her sexual services, but make it legal and pimps start running sex rings and taking advantage. In Nevada the abused, drug addicted street-walker is the norm, not the clean 'professional' located in a licensed brothel. Criminals take over and continually escalate, bringing in women from other countries against their will. The human sex-slave market is alive and well in Nevada.
    Those clean professionals are the norm in the counties where prostitution is legal. To suggest that "criminals" will "take over" a legal industry is to suggest that post offices are subject to the same problem. If a criminal element can infiltrate one legitimate business, they (the mafia?) can do the same for any industry. If an industry is above board, in the light, then it removes the criminal element. It doesn't increase it.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #96
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    05-01-11 @ 04:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    65

    Re: Prostitution: Constitutional or Unconstitutional? You Decide

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    None of this is true. There is no evidence whatsoever that any exposure to pornography, depicting adults, real children, or fake children, encourages or leads to the abuse of children. At all. Zero. None. Don't make stuff up.

    There is, however, the possibility that such desires could be (in some cases) satiated with a proxy, like porn. After all, there are plenty of guys who look at rape porn, but then don't go out and rape anyone. Their desires are fleeting, and satisfied with fantasy. Why would pedophiles be any different?



    This part is actually true. And it makes sense. Even if you catch the perpetrator afterwards, they still stole someone's body parts and, you know... murdered them. So really, the problem is murderers. But at least the logic here is sound.



    Those clean professionals are the norm in the counties where prostitution is legal. To suggest that "criminals" will "take over" a legal industry is to suggest that post offices are subject to the same problem. If a criminal element can infiltrate one legitimate business, they (the mafia?) can do the same for any industry. If an industry is above board, in the light, then it removes the criminal element. It doesn't increase it.
    So your saying that those who view child porn are not likely to act on that sexual urge and there is no proof that looking at porn, specifically child porn, will lead to abusive acts towards children.

    Would you like to bet on that one?

    I'll be willing to put up whatever you want to risk Paschendale. Though might I suggest that you actually do a little research before you open your mouth and stick your foot in it. Perhaps becoming friends with say, I don't know... Google or Bing might even help you out a little.

    Child Porn Leads Pedophiles to Commit Pedophile Acts against children study

    That link might help ya out a little. To quote a section of it:

    A team of researchers in Toronto, Canada has recently published a paper, titled, "Child Pornography Offenses Are a Valid Diagnostic Indicator of Pedophilia" in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology (August, 2006, Vol. 115, No. 3, 610-615) averaging their results for this methodology across 685 people (some known child offenders (e.g., known pedophiles), some adult offenders (e.g., standard rapists, etc.), some adult porn addicts, and some convicted of child porn viewing, but otherwise not known to be pedophiles. Their results confirm statistically that a predilection for viewing child porn is closely associated with pedophilia. In fact, study subjects convicted of viewing child porn but not previously convicted of any actual child offenses were almost three times as aroused by child porn photos as actual convicted pedophiles. Adult offenders (e.g., standard rapists), as you might expect, showed arousal far more frequently to adult pictures than to child pictures.

    What this study does is to establish that child-porn-seeking behavior is in fact, statistically speaking, powerfully associated with the same sort of sexual arousal patterns (e.g, turned on by children rather than adults) associated with convicted pedophiles. You've heard the phrase, "where there is smoke, there is fire", perhaps? Well, here is mathematical evidence that this association works for child porn and pedophilic behavior too. The presence of child-porn-seeking behavior doesn't prove pedophilia, of course, but when it is present, pedophila is statistically more likely to be the case than not.
    Now, as a father I don't need a study to help me out with this thing they call common sense, but since you do, there it is. It is statistically more likely to be the case than not.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Prostitution: Constitutional or Unconstitutional? You Decide

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian
    I did.... and it sailed over your head.

    Let me detail it for you.

    NO ONE is saying 'forced prostituion', such as the examples you described, should be legal.

    SOME are saying that 'prostitution', self decided, not forced in any way, shape or form, should be legal.

    Hopefully that clears it up for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Am I correct in understanding that we are still hung up on this naive idea that legalized prostitution does not lead to illegal human sex-slave trafficking? How many countries have tried this now? Even Netherlands regrets their decision.

    This is like talking to Loosertarians who want to legalize Cocaine. It was legal before, and it ****ed us up, so we banned it. Prostitution takes a similar history.
    So does illegal prostitution. Your point is moot. That side effect exists with either leagl or illegal prostitution, and will have to be vigorously fought in either case. So, moot point.

  8. #98
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Prostitution: Constitutional or Unconstitutional? You Decide

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's not the immediate act itself, but what it necessarily leads to which is undesirable.

    Porn depicting realistic children, for example, is illegal even when no children are involved not because of some grandstanding moral high-horse, but because child porn leads to child abuse. Pedophiles, those interested in such porn, don't stop with videos. Pedophiles always escalate. Child porn is thus illegal to curb that escalation into real child abuse.

    Selling your own organs is another good example. Yes it's your body, but you are not allowed to sell your organs because when organs had a legal value, criminals took initiative and began serial killing to fulfill the demand of the organ market. It was a real big problem far beyond grave and morgue robbing, which is why we outlawed it.

    Likewise, a woman can go sell her sexual services, but make it legal and pimps start running sex rings and taking advantage. In Nevada the abused, drug addicted street-walker is the norm, not the clean 'professional' located in a licensed brothel. Criminals take over and continually escalate, bringing in women from other countries against their will. The human sex-slave market is alive and well in Nevada.

    It's imposable to have an informed opinion on the topic of prostitution without looking at what it leads to.
    So are we banning frivolous sex at all?

    It's the same thing. . . except one puts food on the table - the other doesn't.

    If goods or money exchanging hands for a service rendered - and without that exchange that same service can still be rendered without issues - then why does the factor of money cause the problem?

    I don't know - sometimes I'v ebeen adamately against it and sometimes I'm all for it. It depends on what mood I'm in I guess.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 04-28-11 at 04:09 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #99
    Advisor Blue Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    01-21-15 @ 06:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    426

    Re: Prostitution: Constitutional or Unconstitutional? You Decide

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    So are we banning frivolous sex at all?

    It's the same thing. . . except one puts food on the table - the other doesn't.

    If goods or money exchanging hands for a service rendered - and without that exchange that same service can still be rendered without issues - then why does the factor of money cause the problem?

    I don't know - sometimes I'v ebeen adamately against it and sometimes I'm all for it. It depends on what mood I'm in I guess.
    Whats the definition of frivolous?
    My family is more important than my party.
    -Zell Miller

  10. #100
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Prostitution: Constitutional or Unconstitutional? You Decide

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
    Whats the definition of frivolous?
    1. characterized by lack of seriousness or sense: frivolous conduct.
    2. self-indulgently carefree; unconcerned about or lacking any serious purpose.
    3. (of a person) given to trifling or undue levity: a frivolous, empty-headed person.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •