View Poll Results: ?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • It helps the economy.

    12 34.29%
  • It hurts the economy.

    20 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    3 8.57%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 106 of 106

Thread: Government stimulus

  1. #101
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Government stimulus

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Does moving the goal post to gas mean you have given up trying to disprove the US Military's public warning that we are approaching peak oil?
    no, it means that I'm glad we have the worlds' largest energy resources, and we should be pursuing them. and the chart is recoverable fossil fuels, not natural gas

    Do you have a source to link that disprove's the US military claim?
    well you tell me - do you think they are correct?

    and - again - i couldn't care less if we have or haven't passed "peak oil". it makes no difference whatsoever to the fact that we should start exploiting our own natural resources.

    On to your new goal post:

    U.S. Forecasts 42% Jump in LNG Imports in 2010, Says Supply May Go Higher



    "U.S. imports of liquefied natural gas may rise 42 percent in 2010 to approximately 1.76 billion cubic feet per day, the Energy Department forecast today in its monthly Short-Term Energy Outlook.

    The latest estimate for 2010 imports was 2.2 percent lower than the previous forecast. The department’s Energy Information Administration last month predicted imports of 1.8 billion cubic feet per day.

    “While EIA currently expects U.S. LNG imports to increase by about 0.5 Bcf/d this year over last, the failure of global demand to keep pace with increased global supply could lead to even higher U.S. LNG imports than currently forecast,” the department said in the report. "
    the failure of global demand to keep up with supply? could have sworn that was sort of the reverse of your argument but whatever.
    Last edited by cpwill; 04-28-11 at 07:28 PM.

  2. #102
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Government stimulus

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    no, it means that I'm glad we have the worlds' largest energy resources, and we should be pursuing them. and the chart is recoverable fossil fuels, not natural gas



    well you tell me - do you think they are correct?

    and - again - i couldn't care less if we have or haven't passed "peak oil". it makes no difference whatsoever to the fact that we should start exploiting our own natural resources.



    the failure of global demand to keep up with supply? could have sworn that was sort of the reverse of your argument but whatever.
    If we can use other's supply and keep our own oil supply for later, why would you not want to do that? I think the government is playing chess and you are playing checkers. Also, considering how large the world market is, it has already been shown that introducing our supply into the global market would just be a drop in the bucket and would hardly affect pricing.

    Considering oil's value and variety of uses, I prefer we keep our resources and save them for when he have to use them.

    Gas prices wouldn't be lowered by more domestic oil drilling - Apr. 25, 2011
    New offshore drilling not a quick fix, analysts say - The Boston Globe
    Last edited by whysoserious; 04-28-11 at 07:34 PM.

  3. #103
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Government stimulus

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    If we can use other's supply and keep our own oil supply for later, why would you not want to do that?
    because there is no need or really advantage to doing that due to the fact that oil is fungible.

    I think the government is playing chess and you are playing checkers
    you..... you think the government has a plan!!!.....

    Also, considering how large the world market is, it has already been shown that introducing our supply into the global market would just be a drop in the bucket and would hardly affect pricing.
    that depends on what you are discussing - anwar alone in the early years, yes. drilling takes time. but both coasts and the shale and alaska? not hardly - we have the worlds' largest reserves. long term, it would be like adding two saudi arabias.




    anywho, as per the OP:

    Economic Growth Slow as Inflation Measure Spikes Up

    hey hey! how's that stimulus thingy working out?

  4. #104
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Government stimulus

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    If we can use other's supply and keep our own oil supply for later, why would you not want to do that? I think the government is playing chess and you are playing checkers. Also, considering how large the world market is, it has already been shown that introducing our supply into the global market would just be a drop in the bucket and would hardly affect pricing.

    Considering oil's value and variety of uses, I prefer we keep our resources and save them for when he have to use them.

    Gas prices wouldn't be lowered by more domestic oil drilling - Apr. 25, 2011
    New offshore drilling not a quick fix, analysts say - The Boston Globe
    Finally, the voice of reason!!! Thanks for addressing Cpwills post. I agree.

    And it is exactly what China, Saudia Arabia, and all of the forward thinking countries are doing. China has surpassed the US now in clean energy technology. Every president since Nixon has admitted we needed to develop alternatives to our dependence on foreign oil. Carter was the first and only president to put a plan in place, which Reagan promptly scrapped as soon as he came into office. This administration is the first since Carter to begin to take big steps again to develop alternatives and also to conserve. The increase in CAFE standards alone by this adminstration has the effect of removing 58 million cars from the road.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #105
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Government stimulus

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    because there is no need or really advantage to doing that due to the fact that oil is fungible.
    It is a declining fossil fungible!


    you..... you think the government has a plan!!!.....
    Best one they've had in decades anyway!


    that depends on what you are discussing - anwar alone in the early years, yes. drilling takes time. but both coasts and the shale and alaska? not hardly - we have the worlds' largest reserves. long term, it would be like adding two saudi arabias.
    We've already gone over this, according to Snopes you are looking at a couple years of supply, and that is if cost is no consideration! Face it, the US military and the rest of the world's experts had it right, we are approaching the end of cheap oil.




    anywho, as per the OP:

    Economic Growth Slow as Inflation Measure Spikes Up

    hey hey! how's that stimulus thingy working out?
    Since we are no longer spiraling into another depression as we were in 2007/2008, its working out fine. Unemployment has been reduced, our GDP has increased, and stocks are up!

    So in short, we are better off than than I expected would be after the mess were left with.
    Last edited by Catawba; 04-28-11 at 08:42 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #106
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Government stimulus

    Even if we produced a significant amount, we would not be adding much to the world supply and it would not affect our gas prices. Our gas prices are influenced by the global supply and it would not change what we pay at the pump. It's like saying you want to open 3 more acres of peanut farming and expecting to get Planters Peanuts at half the price. It's not going to happen.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •