View Poll Results: Do you care?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I care.

    9 14.06%
  • No, I don't care.

    53 82.81%
  • Who is getting married?

    2 3.13%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 148

Thread: The Royal Wedding

  1. #81
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The Royal Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Is that why the Australia stills follows the Crown?
    Yeah, and it simplifies things.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: The Royal Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Just because it's fascinating to you doesn't mean it is to everyone.
    It's fascinating! It doesn't matter who you are. You don't get to say it's not fascinating. You could say " I'm not going to watch it because the royal family slaughtered my family" but it sure isn't not fascinating.

  3. #83
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The Royal Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    Because Australia is a cool country and has cool things like a Queen.
    You ever been to Sydney? We have lots of queens there.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  4. #84
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: The Royal Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Yeah, and it simplifies things.
    One you would think it would be simpler not have a Monarch.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: The Royal Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    You ever been to Sydney? We have lots of queens there.
    It's certanly on my bucket list. I'd have to take a cruise there because I get the vertigo anymore. I would LOVE to go there. Oprah Winfrey made us all huge fans. I think she's going back. It's her favorite place on earth. Get ready Australia!

    queens saved my life.

  6. #86
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The Royal Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    One you would think it would be simpler not have a Monarch.
    Nah, having the Monarch keeps the powers of head of state in non-partisan hands, while the running of the country is left to the PM, it's more functional than having them in the same role, or both in partisan hands.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-25-11 @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    464

    Re: The Royal Wedding

    This is somewhat OT, but I think Britain should become a republic - or else fission into an association of republics (England and Scotland, with Wales and Northern Ireland as microstates). I know the monarchy is largely vestigial at this point, and has a lot of cultural significance, but it still makes me a little sad that a nation I consider the Mother Country of the United States continues to officially place some human beings above others by virtue of who their parents are. The two people getting married haven't done anything to deserve special attention, and there is no reason to believe they will.
    Last edited by Troubadour; 04-24-11 at 09:05 AM.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: The Royal Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    This is somewhat OT, but I think Britain should become a republic. I know the monarchy is largely vestigial at this point, and has a lot of cultural significance, but it still makes me a little sad that a nation I consider the Mother Country of the United States continues to officially place some human beings above others by virtue of who their parents are. The two people getting married haven't done anything to deserve special attention, and there is no reason to believe they will.
    I'm a tiny little ant compared to a lot of people. It's ok with me if a family's ancestors did something great and wound up running the show. The monarchy is one of the reasons America loves UK so much. Sometimes we have our own royalty and they have earned it.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-25-11 @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    464

    Re: The Royal Wedding

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    I'm a tiny little ant compared to a lot of people.
    You're welcome to place yourself beneath others, but there is a problem if you think you can place someone else above a third person: I.e., if you say this guy is better than that guy because this guy's distant ancestor was a ruthless bastard who terrorized some peasants into working for him. The "nobility" of today are indeed little more than inbred tabloid fodder, but the political heart of monarchy is oppression and inhumanity - it just lies dormant in a modern age. I don't think even its shadow should still have official recognition.

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    It's ok with me if a family's ancestors did something great and wound up running the show.
    You seem to have an unrealistic idea of what "great" things created the monarchies of Europe. They were just guys with swords and horses who made other people work for them on pain of death - basically gangsters. Most of them were illiterate and brutal, and about as "great" as the kind of guys who today make up prison populations.

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    The monarchy is one of the reasons America loves UK so much.
    No, we just find it amusing, like the real-world embodiment of a Disney cartoon. What we love about Britain is the deep and intimate history we share with it. The actual monarchy, however, was one of the things America's colonial ancestors were running away from.

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    Sometimes we have our own royalty and they have earned it.
    We have families that acquire a degree of respect from the exploits of their members, but we never claim that someone is entitled to greater consideration for simply being born into it. They may get privileges anyway, but people would despise them if they ever openly claimed to be owed greater respect because of who their parents are. We loathe people like that.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: The Royal Wedding

    Ok. You've had your say. There's nothing I have any problem with.

    At some point we became civilized. But it was after the current royalty took charge. Raping and pilaging were what went on.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •