View Poll Results: Should the Young be allowed to Escape Paying In when they will never Draw Out?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO - I am over 40, and they should have to pay for me, even if they never draw out

    2 5.00%
  • YES - I am over 40, and they should be allowed to do so

    9 22.50%
  • SORTA - I'm over 40; they should be allowed to split their FICA between themselves and me

    3 7.50%
  • YES - I am under 40 and I would much rather not pay into an SS system I will never draw from

    21 52.50%
  • NO - I am under 40; I feel it's my obligation to pay the Boomers, though I will never see a dime

    5 12.50%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 139

Thread: Should the Young be Allowed to Opt Out?

  1. #21
    Sage
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,037

    Re: Should the Young be Allowed to Opt Out?

    i am borderline between the last two... most preferably the second to last, but i will settle for the last.

  2. #22
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    05-25-11 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    63

    Re: Should the Young be Allowed to Opt Out?

    I feel no obligation to pay for a promise that I had no part in making to anyone. The way I see social security is that a generation made promises to pad their retirements at the expense of future generations and that it was a wholly selfish act on their parts that has created long-term difficulties for the nation today.

    Because so many have come to depend on SS, I say we let anyone over a certain age keep to their plan to go on the dole at 65 but everyone younger doesn't need to opt out -- it simply will not continue for them. Let people be responsible for their own retirements.

  3. #23
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Should the Young be Allowed to Opt Out?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    realizing that we don't have the $17 Trillion that the Social Security Administration admits we would need today in order to keep that solvent is anything but brainwashing.



    so you are in favor of Paul Ryan's plan to save Medicare and adopt means-testing, to give wealthy future retirees less and poor future retirees more?



    tell it to someone who hasn't run the numbers themself. Even after we accounted in our CAGR for the tech and real estate bubble crashes, and even after we invented a third, mythical crash of the same depth as the one we just went through, even if our worker was low-income his entire career, even if he was only ever allowed to put two thirds of his FICA tax in, and even if he then made the stupidest series of decisions possible; he STILL ended up with more than TWICE the benefit as an AVERAGE (which is to say, higher than low-income) retiree recieves with a private account.

    on the other hand, the current system has a guarantee. if we continue on our current course, it is guaranteed to collapse.



    actually the 2012 House budget is tax neutral with regards to the wealthy and US corporations. what it does do, however, is simplify the tax code, which will save our economy hundreds of billions of dollars each year.



    by letting them retire on schedule and draw a full pension? the horror!



    OR wants to avoid a debt crises that would destroy our nations fisc.



    1. Ryan's plan doesn't effect current Retirees - so the only way Democrats can successfully demagogue this is by lying; which i'm fully willing to accept they will do, but is this what you are suggesting?
    2. This would be the Florida that just sent Marco Rubio to the Senate?
    3. Mitch Daniels won reelection by a wide margin (even picking up a hefty percentage of African Amerians) as governor of a state that went heavily for Obama in 2008. I'm willing to bet he can pick up Florida.

    CP your a smart guy and I respect your opinion but you keep saying the same things over and over and you refuse to address any points any one else makes and please dont put your intentions to my words...another words please dont put words in my mouth.

    so you are in favor of Paul Ryan's plan to save Medicare and adopt means-testing, to give wealthy future retirees less and poor future retirees more?

    No I am not because paul ryan idea of rich starts at the lower middleclass at 75,000 Paul Ryan is real cute, he wants lower payments to start at 75k...in 10 yrs two people wont be able to live on 75k whos BSin who CP ? ryans plan is a totaly conjob

  4. #24
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Should the Young be Allowed to Opt Out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nonplussed View Post
    I feel no obligation to pay for a promise that I had no part in making to anyone. The way I see social security is that a generation made promises to pad their retirements at the expense of future generations and that it was a wholly selfish act on their parts that has created long-term difficulties for the nation today.

    Because so many have come to depend on SS, I say we let anyone over a certain age keep to their plan to go on the dole at 65 but everyone younger doesn't need to opt out -- it simply will not continue for them. Let people be responsible for their own retirements.
    The only ones that depend on social security is the people that PAID into it all their lives and need it and the working poor who pay into social security and dont make enough to live on and save for retirement and healthbenes...what totally eludes you is that if you take SS away and Medicare you WILL PAY for the people that cant afford to save for it anyway and your going to PAY lots lots more...I see you didnt mention paying for Illegal Immigrants that doesnt bother you? and our money going to foreign aid to 154 countries to support them...thats more important that supporting your own that cant afford to do it on their own

  5. #25
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    05-25-11 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    63

    Re: Should the Young be Allowed to Opt Out?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    The only ones that depend on social security is the people that PAID into it all their lives and need it and the working poor who pay into social security and dont make enough to live on and save for retirement and healthbenes...what totally eludes you is that if you take SS away and Medicare you WILL PAY for the people that cant afford to save for it anyway and your going to PAY lots lots more...I see you didnt mention paying for Illegal Immigrants that doesnt bother you? and our money going to foreign aid to 154 countries to support them...thats more important that supporting your own that cant afford to do it on their own
    If we had been having a conversation about illegal immigrants or 154 countries, then I would have been commenting on those issues. However, this conversation was about the young opting out of social security deductions so THAT is what I commented on and not your irrelevant side issues.

    It is not in the nation's interest nor in the individual interest to tie our retirement collectively to society as a means of providing artificial safety nets where family structure and personal responsibility would serve better.

  6. #26
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Should the Young be Allowed to Opt Out?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    CP your a smart guy and I respect your opinion but you keep saying the same things over and over and you refuse to address any points any one else makes and please dont put your intentions to my words...another words please dont put words in my mouth.

    so you are in favor of Paul Ryan's plan to save Medicare and adopt means-testing, to give wealthy future retirees less and poor future retirees more?

    No I am not because paul ryan idea of rich starts at the lower middleclass at 75,000 Paul Ryan is real cute, he wants lower payments to start at 75k...in 10 yrs two people wont be able to live on 75k whos BSin who CP ? ryans plan is a totaly conjob
    75k in personal income is the 88.57 percentile. You consider that lower middle class? Are you saying 85% of our nation should be considered poor? Come on lpast.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  7. #27
    Advisor DontDoIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois, Land of Liberals
    Last Seen
    11-22-15 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    391

    Re: Should the Young be Allowed to Opt Out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    No, no individual citizen ever has had nor should have the right to opt out of a tax.
    It's different when you won't get to use it wouldn't you say?
    "It is a sad day in society when people adjust the facts to fit their beliefs, rather than adjust their beliefs to fit the facts."
    Libertarian/Conservative/Christian Beliefs

  8. #28
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Should the Young be Allowed to Opt Out?

    Oh, I see a tax you paid that you didn't get a benefit from.
    Quote Originally Posted by DontDoIt View Post
    It's different when you won't get to use it wouldn't you say?
    Is that like the taxes I paid from my tiny salary plus hazardous duty pay for the stupid Vietnam War while I was stationed in SE Asia?

  9. #29
    Educator shintao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    10-19-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    994

    Re: Should the Young be Allowed to Opt Out?

    They should have to pay in, and get off their duffs and fix the system so it is there for them. People could effectively shut down government if they could opt out of everything they don't use or like. Nonsense!!

  10. #30
    Educator shintao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    10-19-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    994

    Re: Should the Young be Allowed to Opt Out?

    Yes they should pay in, and get off thier duff and fix the system so it will be there for them. Americans could effectively shutdown government if they could opt out of everything they don't use or don't like. Nonsense!! It is the ol con-kids-game of "Why should I have to pay?"

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •