View Poll Results: Would you give up your Social Security?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am under 40

    19 37.25%
  • No, I am under 40

    11 21.57%
  • Yes, I am over 40

    7 13.73%
  • No, I am over 40

    14 27.45%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 176

Thread: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

  1. #21
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
    I agree with you. The gamble could also apply to me collecting SS. One can have faith in the entitlement not going bankrupt. One can also have faith in the market to fund his/her retirement.
    the ss mess has an easy fix. increase the cap on earnings.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #22
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    05-25-11 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    63

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    the ss mess has an easy fix. increase the cap on earnings.
    And are you going to increase the benefits for those who's earning caps are raised, too?

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i made my point.

    by missing the point of the stances.
    Last edited by Henrin; 04-18-11 at 06:08 PM. Reason: way meaner than I wanted.

  4. #24
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Yes, if I get a refund on everything I've paid into it. I won't even ask for interest.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  5. #25
    Advisor Blue Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    01-21-15 @ 06:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    426

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    the ss mess has an easy fix. increase the cap on earnings.
    If the fix was so easy, why did neither the democrats nor republicans put the matter up for a vote when they held the majority in Congress?
    My family is more important than my party.
    -Zell Miller

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nonplussed View Post
    What makes social security so sacrosanct? Is it because another generation promised themselves security in their retirements that they might not deserve? Is it because you have been conditioned to suck the tit of the government in your old age the same way you did your mother's in your infancy? Why is the younger generation to be saddled with the debt of helping the older one keep promises it never should have made at our expense anyway?
    Let me try another spin. It will not have the foul language or insults. In additon there may actually be a fact or two in the post. I wanted to say this because this type of post does not seem to fit your style and may not want to read it.

    Let's start with how you or liblady defines an entitlement. If you buy an annuity from goldman sachs that says that if you pay in a certain amount they in turn will pay you X dollars a month for the rest of your life. That is what an annuity is. Now for people who have actually worked for 40 years, made their annuity payments ( and actually are getting a lousy return on their investment) and then recieve the agreed upon payment by month ( which the government gets to set) is that what you call entitlement. Some might call it a return on their investment.

    I find this whole discussion about entitlements a strawman to cloud the deficit issue. People who do not want to rein in any spending conflate social security and medicare as entitlements, thus part of the spending problem.

    Most people even slightly educated about the finances of this country understand that in the short term, both medicare are social security are fully funded. As a matter of fact social security alone is in surplus of about $4 trillion. The social security fund actually owns treasuries to this amount.

    So perhaps the question might be more aptly posed. Do we want to alow the federal government to steal monies that have been put away by citizens, no different than had they put the money into a 401K.

    Just think of the outrage from you and others like you if the investment companies holding trillions of dollars of citizens 401Ks decided, hey let's take the money these folks put away to retire and buy windmills with the money instead. If they ask for their money back, call them crybabies and not sure what you said about them sucking something.

  7. #27
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    05-25-11 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    63

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Let me try another spin. It will not have the foul language or insults. In additon there may actually be a fact or two in the post. I wanted to say this because this type of post does not seem to fit your style and may not want to read it.
    There was no foul language or insults in my post. And no, I will not set out to read a post that begins with a lecture on ettiquette directed at my own post.

  8. #28
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i asked for age specifically becasue i think older people would vote dirrentelty than younger people. i was also hoping for those who deride entitlement programs to weigh in......no surprise they have not.
    i am under 40 so it is easy for me to vote no - I have been fully aware for some time now that I will never recieve Social Security anyway; and so I am giving up something I never expected to recieve

    which makes me typical, at least in the former regard:

    A USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds that a majority of retirees say they expect their current benefits to be cut, a dramatic increase in the number who hold that view. And a record six of 10 non-retirees predict Social Security won't be able to pay them benefits when they stop working.

    Skepticism is highest among the youngest workers: Three-fourths of those 18 to 34 don't expect to get a Social Security check when they retire....





    all i ask, since i know that at current I will pay my entire working life (since economists are near universal that the employers' match comes out of employee compensation, that means I am paying 15% of my income every year, no small amount) into an entitlement system that I will never recieve anything from, is that I be allowed to keep a portion of that in my own, private account.

  9. #29
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,891
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    i am under 40 so it is easy for me to vote no - I have been fully aware for some time now that I will never recieve Social Security anyway; and so I am giving up something I never expected to recieve
    I remember something from years and years ago, the late eighties maybe, that said people of Generation X were more likely to believe in extraterrestrials visiting Earth than they were to believe they would get SS
    I may be wrong.

  10. #30
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,877

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    im under 40 and i expect to not get social security when im older. I hope it goes away, we should all be responsible for our own retirement.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •