View Poll Results: Would you give up your Social Security?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am under 40

    19 37.25%
  • No, I am under 40

    11 21.57%
  • Yes, I am over 40

    7 13.73%
  • No, I am over 40

    14 27.45%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 176

Thread: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

  1. #151
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nonplussed View Post
    I would prefer to give it up and have what I have paid in returned to me to invest how I see fit.
    I take this as a NO since the SS money you paid in was spent to write a check to a SS recipient.

    Btw, how much are you saving for your retirement beyond your SS tax?

  2. #152
    Advisor ADG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Purple Mountains Majesty
    Last Seen
    07-02-11 @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    399

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    How about interest on the debt? They'll be using your SS to pay for it.
    What debt are you referring to specifically. SS has a surplus. If you are referring to the national debt then using SS funds to pay down the debt would be a problem.
    "Action expresses priorities."
    ~Mohandas Gandhi

  3. #153
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    I don't see myself as having ever lived an extravagant lifestyle. You seem to have heard of Hippies, yet no one told you that we shun material possessions? OK, fine, you're just a young pup.

    I don't really have a problem with having supported the Greatest Generation's retirement, just to have the Gen-Ys turn a cold shoulder towards me. My life has always been like this, c'est-la-vie pup.
    smile...Its the way they were raised Mickey, these pups have never had a bad day, most of them have never done anything but take from our great country, theyve never been drafted never sacrificed like this younger generation is in Iraq and Afghanistan and the generations before them...they are the lucky spoiled generation of greed and I want it all that are using the USA and middleclass as their make believe war of justice. In the long term they will fail...they are turning middleclass republicans away from them everyday...and believe they need them to win anything.

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    smile...Its the way they were raised Mickey, these pups have never had a bad day, most of them have never done anything but take from our great country, theyve never been drafted never sacrificed like this younger generation is in Iraq and Afghanistan and the generations before them...they are the lucky spoiled generation of greed and I want it all that are using the USA and middleclass as their make believe war of justice. In the long term they will fail...they are turning middleclass republicans away from them everyday...and believe they need them to win anything.
    You say this when you want? You are an interesting person.

  5. #155
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    05-25-11 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    63

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    smile...Its the way they were raised Mickey, these pups have never had a bad day, most of them have never done anything but take from our great country, theyve never been drafted never sacrificed like this younger generation is in Iraq and Afghanistan and the generations before them...they are the lucky spoiled generation of greed and I want it all that are using the USA and middleclass as their make believe war of justice. In the long term they will fail...they are turning middleclass republicans away from them everyday...and believe they need them to win anything.
    That's a most moronic assessment. And if we ended up that way, it's only because you guys raised us in that fashion so who's really to blame, gramps?

  6. #156
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    HAH, i wish; but that money is long gone - spent. we can't get it "back" simply because the government doesn't have it anymore. better to just cut our losses and run.
    Will, would you be willing to trade these losses that you're willing to cut with mine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  7. #157
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nonplussed View Post
    That's a most moronic assessment. And if we ended up that way, it's only because you guys raised us in that fashion so who's really to blame, gramps?
    Well you certainly can't put the blame on the Gen-Y'ers. Ya'll have never dealt with responsibility before. It might be too much of a shock to your overprotected lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  8. #158
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Okay, so how about make it an option. If you choose to have SS taken out of your paychecks and saved for you until you're at retirement age, go for it. If you choose to do it on your own, go for it.
    As long as its a manditory % that cannot be touched, I am less concerned with the small details. However, practicality suggests that even if the funds go to a private account (which I am in favor of), some % still needs to go to a public account to pay for people on disability, kids who's parents died, and all that other stuff SS handles. Even with that, for most people a private account should see a better return.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 04-21-11 at 09:43 AM.

  9. #159
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Well you certainly can't put the blame on the Gen-Y'ers. Ya'll have never dealt with responsibility before. It might be too much of a shock to your overprotected lives.
    wait a minute. baby boomers ran like scared chickens from their war, spent the rest of their lives generally mooching off of their parents, and are now set to try to pass on the costs of their retirement to their children, having completely failed to save for themselves. when have they ever demonstrated responsibility?

  10. #160
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Are YOU willing to give up YOUR Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Will, would you be willing to trade these losses that you're willing to cut with mine?
    ? what do you mean.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •