View Poll Results: Should we Eliminate Social Security

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, no replacement

    18 30.00%
  • Yes, but with a replacement

    11 18.33%
  • No, we should wait until it goes bankrupt

    1 1.67%
  • No, its not going to go bankrupt

    26 43.33%
  • Other

    4 6.67%
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 331

Thread: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

  1. #321
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    The vast majority of people in this country support social security and welfare.
    Exactly!

    Those are not constitutional and could only pass when FDR threatened to pack the Supreme Court.
    They are constitutional as they were determined to be in the Constitutionally prescribed manner, and upheld for the last 75 years under both parties.

    You finding the government of WE the People to not be of your liking? Perhaps you should get politically involved!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #322
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    They are constitutional as they were determined to be in the Constitutionally prescribed manner, and upheld for the last 75 years under both parties.
    The Supreme Court is always right then, apparently. How do you like that Fugitive Slave Law?

    You finding the government of WE the People to not be of your liking? Perhaps you should get politically involved!
    Are the powers of the legislature limited or unlimited?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #323
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    The Supreme Court is always right then, apparently. How do you like that Fugitive Slave Law?
    It was nullified by a majority of We the People in very short order, unlike SS and MM which has been upheld both by the Supreme Court and the majority of We the People under both parties for 3/4 of a century.





    Are the powers of the legislature limited or unlimited?
    Limited.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #324
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    as opposed to those who insist the application of the Constitution should not evolve as our world does
    i'm unaware of anyone who believes this. we merely think that the Constitution should evolve in the Constitutional manner, which is to say, via the amendment process.

  5. #325
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Yes x1000. The economy has out paced its usefulness. You can no longer live just on Social Security and people would be better off by investing the money thats taken from them in SS tax into a 401k or other investment portfolio, even the extremely poor. That said, social security as far as helping the disabled (all types) should not be done away with.

    Replacement would be easy as well, all money invested into a retirement fund is not taxed. If its taken out of a retirement fund (even a bank) early, it get fully taxed at a higher rate (to avoid tax dodging).
    Last edited by xpiher; 05-03-11 at 10:24 PM.

  6. #326
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Yes x1000. The economy has out paced its usefulness. You can no longer live just on Social Security and people would be better off by investing the money thats taken from them in SS tax into a 401k or other investment portfolio, even the extremely poor. That said, social security as far as helping the disabled (all types) should not be done away with.

    Replacement would be easy as well, all money invested into a retirement fund is not taxed. If its taken out of a retirement fund (even a bank) early, it get fully taxed at a higher rate (to avoid tax dodging).
    Social security was never meant to be a living wage type of income. Certainly anybody who expects to live on their SS better have everything paid for and minimal living expenses..
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #327
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Social security was never meant to be a living wage type of income. Certainly anybody who expects to live on their SS better have everything paid for and minimal living expenses..
    Actually, it was designed to give people a living wage in their retirement. The problem is, even if you have everything paid for, its not a living wage anymore.

  8. #328
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Actually, it was designed to give people a living wage in their retirement. The problem is, even if you have everything paid for, its not a living wage anymore.
    Barely Living wage, maybe.......
    Your SS will be based on how much you earned, and if you were poor you get a low amount, and being poor, you probably don't have much in the way of assets.
    My dad retired with a pension from his union job and SS. Mom never worked. When he died, they had a house/shack that was falling apart, an old car, and $2,000 in the bank.
    Not much to show for all those years working...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #329
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Barely Living wage, maybe.......
    Your SS will be based on how much you earned, and if you were poor you get a low amount, and being poor, you probably don't have much in the way of assets.
    My dad retired with a pension from his union job and SS. Mom never worked. When he died, they had a house/shack that was falling apart, an old car, and $2,000 in the bank.
    Not much to show for all those years working...
    All the more reason to get rid of it. At least with putting it into an IRA, it would grow at a higher rate.

  10. #330
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oaxaca, Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,579

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Whether we get rid of it in some logical process that allows for a functional system to replace it or simply allow it to die on it's own and throw people out in the cold--that's the choice of liberals--Social Security is going to go. The question is will we be responsible and do it with a replacement system or not.

    Where I worked we had a pension. Similar to the federal government, our pension plan was underfunded and criminally mismanaged. We killed the pension and shifted to a 401k. Workers had the option of sticking with the pension but with the benefits guaranteed by a purchased annuity or going with the 401k. Workers who switched to the 401k were given cash in their account equal to the presumed value of their pension which, of course, was based on salary and years of service.

    Some opted for the annuity (pension), most took the 401k and most were happy.

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •