View Poll Results: Should we Eliminate Social Security

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, no replacement

    18 30.00%
  • Yes, but with a replacement

    11 18.33%
  • No, we should wait until it goes bankrupt

    1 1.67%
  • No, its not going to go bankrupt

    26 43.33%
  • Other

    4 6.67%
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 331

Thread: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

  1. #191
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You mean the thing that is still talking about the powers that are listed.
    To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
    That clause is the necessary and proper clause and I know exactly what it does. You however haven't a clue.

    I will correct myself on one little thing though. It doesn't grant powers outside of the scope of the already granted powers. It does however do something, I will let you figure that out on your own.
    Last edited by Henrin; 04-19-11 at 01:42 AM.

  3. #193
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That clause is the necessary and proper clause and I know exactly what it does. You however haven't a clue.
    You want to address how, specifically, it does not allow the provisions from the Preamble? I'm sure Mr. Hamilton and Mr. Washington would heartily disagree with whatever you have to say.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    You want to address how, specifically, it does not allow the provisions from the Preamble? I'm sure Mr. Hamilton and Mr. Washington would heartily disagree with whatever you have to say.
    Lets look it up...hmm..

    a statement in the U.S. constitution (Article I, Section 8) granting Congress the power to pass all laws necessary and proper for carrying out the enumerated list of powers.

    You know what that last bit is talking about? Any clue what so ever?

    You are barking up a tree boy and if you were wise you would stop.
    Last edited by Henrin; 04-19-11 at 01:54 AM.

  5. #195
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Lets look it up...hmm..

    a statement in the U.S. constitution (Article I, Section 8) granting Congress the power to pass all laws necessary and proper for carrying out the enumerated list of powers.
    To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

    What you provided is an abridged version of the actual language. If the abridged version was the actual version, you would have more of an argument. As it stands, "All other powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States" includes the Preamble of the Constitution.

    You know what that last bit is talking about? Any clue what so ever?
    Stop being rude.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

    What you provided is an abridged version of the actual language. If the abridged version was the actual version, you would have more of an argument. As it stands, "All other powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States" includes the Preamble of the Constitution.



    Stop being rude.
    Stop being an idiot. That is the definition of what it literally does. I deal with idiots like idiots. If you don't want to be treated like one, don't act like one.

  7. #197
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Necessary and Proper Clause-Wiki

    Although the court in McCulloch v. Maryland held that all Federal laws need not be "absolutely necessary" to be necessary and proper and noted "The clause is placed among the powers of Congress, not among the limitations on those powers," it also noted "Should Congress, in the execution of its powers, adopt measures which are prohibited by the Constitution, or should Congress, under the pretext of executing its powers, pass laws for the accomplishment of objects not intrusted to the Government, it would become the painful duty of this tribunal, should a case requiring such a decision come before it, to say that such an act was not the law of the land." (a reference to judicial review established by the court earlier in Marbury v. Madison.) Whether various federal laws are necessary and proper exercises of Constitutional power or violations of Constitutional limits on federal power and whether the Supreme Court has ruled properly in cases where this question is at issue seems a constant matter of deep controversy.
    Chief Justice Marshall and the Supreme Court already countered your argument against Social Security, and backed up my argument for its continued constitutionality in McCulloch v. Maryland.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  8. #198
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Stop being an idiot. That is the definition of what it literally does. I deal with idiots like idiots. If you don't want to be treated like one, don't act like one.
    You can say whatever you want, and think whatever you want to think, but the fact of the matter is, you are wrong, and I am right. Now, if you want to specifically show how the Preamble and its provisions are not powers given the the United States Government, go ahead. I'm still waiting.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Isn't the current SCOTUS tilted in the conservative direction? If so, it isn't partisan to say they are conservative...
    It was from another thread where I made a point in telling him the partisan politics is an cancer in the courts. He however just keep repeating himself that the courts were the law of the land. Ignoring that the law of the land is the constitution, not the people that say what is what, ignoring that they have been wrong in the past, ignoring what he calls a conservative court. From my eyes he was saying it was perfect and maybe I jumped on it a bit, but all in all I think I was right in my thinking.

  10. #200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we Eliminate Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    You can say whatever you want, and think whatever you want to think, but the fact of the matter is, you are wrong, and I am right. Now, if you want to specifically show how the Preamble and its provisions are not powers given the the United States Government, go ahead. I'm still waiting.
    Which provision should I do next?

Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •