View Poll Results: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    14 22.95%
  • no

    42 68.85%
  • other

    4 6.56%
  • not voting (rootabega)

    1 1.64%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 136

Thread: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    True, they do trend to be socialists.
    Good?
    Bad?
    Your three examples, Jerry, are they all bad ?
    Too bad you did not live in the "good old days".
    I believe I did.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    how long is this lack of pride going to go on? You should have pride to be a good citizen. Was that the question?

  3. #53
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    how long is this lack of pride going to go on? You should have pride to be a good citizen. Was that the question?
    an indeterminate amount of time.

    Yes that was the question.

  4. #54
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    IMO being a good citizen means not breaking the law and paying your debts for society. (taxes etc.)

    The rest is more of being a good person, and that's quite the relative term there.
    Personally? I am o.k. with people breaking some of the B.S. laws in this country: like legal adults doing drugs and prostitution as someone doing those things does not make them a bad citizen. It simply makes them breaking laws that should have been done away with years and years ago
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  5. #55
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Personally? I am o.k. with people breaking some of the B.S. laws in this country: like legal adults doing drugs and prostitution as someone doing those things does not make them a bad citizen. It simply makes them breaking laws that should have been done away with years and years ago
    Yeah, goodness knows, when I think of a good citizen, my mind goes right to drug addicted pimps.


    Don't be mad Kali, I just had to give you a little **** for that.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  6. #56
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    I think "taking pride" in one's country is a silly idea (much like being proud of one's race, or ethnicity, it is a product of chance unless you are a foreign-born naturalized citizen). Being proud of America/proud to be an American, and loving America are two different things.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 04-16-11 at 11:24 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  7. #57
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I think "taking pride" in one's country is a silly idea (much like being proud of one's race, or ethnicity, it is a product of chance unless you are a foreign-born naturalized citizen). Being proud of America/proud to be an American, and loving America are two different things.
    Of course, I totally disagree that it's silly. I certainly do take pride in many things this country does and what it stands for. Like when we had the discussion about banning the burning of the Quran. I'm proud that we have such a dedication to free speech. Not every country does.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #58
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Of course, I totally disagree that it's silly. I certainly do take pride in many things this country does and what it stands for. Like when we had the discussion about banning the burning of the Quran. I'm proud that we have such a dedication to free speech. Not every country does.
    I think this merits further discussion of the definition of pride, what it means to be proud, and what types of situations deserve pride. I personally think pride should be reserved for personal achievements. I think it's great that America has such strong dedication to first Amendment rights, and that's one of the reasons I LOVE my country. But am I proud of that? That's a different question entirely. As an individual, I personally had little involvement in America's strong tradition of dedication to 1st Amendment rights and free speech/expression. I don't think "pride" is a word that accurately describes my feelings about it.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 04-16-11 at 11:36 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #59
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    The answer is no. Personally, I love my country but am not always happy about things done in its name. There are people who do not love their country, are not proud of their country, and disagree with their government but are still "good citizens" in that they obey the law, even those they disagree with, maintain their civic obligations, and conduct themselves in a legal and moral (subjective, I know... but I'm going with the basics, don't steal, defraud, harm others, etc.) manner.

  10. #60
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I think this merits further discussion of the definition of pride, what it means to be proud, and what types of situations deserve pride. I personally think pride should be reserved for personal achievements. I think it's great that America has such strong dedication to first Amendment rights, and that's one of the reasons I LOVE my country. But am I proud of that? That's a different question entirely. As an individual, I personally had little involvement in America's strong dedication to 1st Amendment rights and free speech/expression. I don't think "pride" is a word that accurately describes my feelings about it.
    But it does accurately describe mine. Haven't you ever been proud of someone else, a family member or friend maybe, for something they accomplished?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •