View Poll Results: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    14 22.95%
  • no

    42 68.85%
  • other

    4 6.56%
  • not voting (rootabega)

    1 1.64%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 136

Thread: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

  1. #21
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,317
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    You don't have to be proud of the country in every circumstance to be a good citizen. However if you think America sucks in general and want to fundamentally transform it, you can't be a good citizen here. Be one elsewhere please.
    If you think America sucks and are actively working to make it better(whatever "better" is for you), that is almost exactly my definition of a good citizen. To give you an example you might appreciate, I think the Tea Party is misguided and foolish, however, I think the fact they are working so hard to make the country better as they see it makes them good citizens, even though I disagree with their vision of "better".

    I don't think thoughts make you a good citizen, I think it is what you do, the actions you take. So by that, pride in country is entirely irrelevant to how I would define "good citizen".
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    I'm not proud of the U.S. but I haven't been locked up, so I think that probably means I'm a good citizen.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #23
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If you think America sucks and are actively working to make it better(whatever "better" is for you), that is almost exactly my definition of a good citizen. To give you an example you might appreciate, I think the Tea Party is misguided and foolish, however, I think the fact they are working so hard to make the country better as they see it makes them good citizens, even though I disagree with their vision of "better".

    I don't think thoughts make you a good citizen, I think it is what you do, the actions you take. So by that, pride in country is entirely irrelevant to how I would define "good citizen".
    Your actions typically follow your thoughts though.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  4. #24
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If you think America sucks and are actively working to make it better(whatever "better" is for you), that is almost exactly my definition of a good citizen. To give you an example you might appreciate, I think the Tea Party is misguided and foolish, however, I think the fact they are working so hard to make the country better as they see it makes them good citizens, even though I disagree with their vision of "better".

    I don't think thoughts make you a good citizen, I think it is what you do, the actions you take. So by that, pride in country is entirely irrelevant to how I would define "good citizen".
    Your actions typically follow your thoughts though.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  5. #25
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,317
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Your actions typically follow your thoughts though.
    Typically true, but we cannot see another person's thoughts, and as such we have to judge them on their actions. Since "good citizen" is a value judgment, I don't worry about what the person is thinking, just what they are doing. To continue my example from earlier, there are, I am sure, those within the Tea Party who are there because they hate that a black man got uppity and ended up in the White House. Now, those people are the exception, and I repeat again that I do not think the Tea Party is racist in any way, but any group has racists, and to deny that such people exist in the Tea Party is silly(it is equally silly to deny that such people exist in the democratic, republican and libertarian parties). Now, these peoples' thoughts are vile to my mind, but their actions, the part I can see, are not, and are working towards their vision of a better America.

    That is not a great example, but it's the best I can come up with off the top of my head.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If you think America sucks and are actively working to make it better(whatever "better" is for you), that is almost exactly my definition of a good citizen. To give you an example you might appreciate, I think the Tea Party is misguided and foolish, however, I think the fact they are working so hard to make the country better as they see it makes them good citizens, even though I disagree with their vision of "better".

    I don't think thoughts make you a good citizen, I think it is what you do, the actions you take. So by that, pride in country is entirely irrelevant to how I would define "good citizen".
    If someone is working to change the country into something our founding fathers never meant it to be, he is not a good citizen.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  7. #27
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Typically true, but we cannot see another person's thoughts, and as such we have to judge them on their actions. Since "good citizen" is a value judgment, I don't worry about what the person is thinking, just what they are doing. To continue my example from earlier, there are, I am sure, those within the Tea Party who are there because they hate that a black man got uppity and ended up in the White House. Now, those people are the exception, and I repeat again that I do not think the Tea Party is racist in any way, but any group has racists, and to deny that such people exist in the Tea Party is silly(it is equally silly to deny that such people exist in the democratic, republican and libertarian parties). Now, these peoples' thoughts are vile to my mind, but their actions, the part I can see, are not, and are working towards their vision of a better America.

    That is not a great example, but it's the best I can come up with off the top of my head.
    I don't think the democratic party is racist either, though they sure did love grand poopa Robert KKK Byrd.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  8. #28
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    If someone is working to change the country into something our founding fathers never meant it to be, he is not a good citizen.
    because you are the sole interpreter of what our founding fathers intended?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #29
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So is the "my country is always wrong" refrain.
    Unless the dissent comes from the TEA party, then it's just violent/racist rhetoric we need to be concerned about.
    Naa my country has been right many times... Defeating Nazi Germany in the Western front, making all these social programs that help out people, etc etc.

  10. #30
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Do you have to be proud of your country to be a good citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    If someone is working to change the country into something our founding fathers never meant it to be, he is not a good citizen.
    Right........
    Sense we all lived back in the 1700's... Times change we once lived in a small farming country, now were fully industrialized giant country... Times change..

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •