View Poll Results: Do you agree with Obama?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I agree.

    39 32.77%
  • No, I disagree.

    80 67.23%
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 305

Thread: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social programs?

  1. #201
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I read his statement as being about now. We are a great country now because of those programs he mentioned.
    Which can mean either a) You weren't a great country before them, or b) you wouldn't be a great country if they weren't introduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    First off, Obama mentions several specific programs, not social programs in general. Also note that it depends on what "greatness" you are talking about. Greatest super power, probably we would still be. Great in terms of a great place to live, not as much.
    But the thing is, and this is why I mentioned history in my above post, the historical precedent is there for America being a great country without these specific programs, and thus it is resonable to assume that the trend would have continued. But really it all falls down to if you interpret greatness as being dependent on a single thing, or an amalgamation.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  2. #202
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Which can mean either a) You weren't a great country before them, or b) you wouldn't be a great country if they weren't introduced.
    Egypt used to be a great country. They are not any more. If you do not continue to do great things, you cease to be great.


    But the thing is, and this is why I mentioned history in my above post, the historical precedent is there for America being a great country without these specific programs, and thus it is resonable to assume that the trend would have continued. But really it all falls down to if you interpret greatness as being dependent on a single thing, or an amalgamation.
    We used to be great without electricity and running water. Now one aspect of our greatness is that every one has them.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #203
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Disagree 99%..
    That is good news to most of us-it is a stamp of sanity on his post



  4. #204
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, lack of ambition is caused by social welfare. It is lack of ambition that perpetuates poverty.
    the party that needs lots of dependent people to vote them into power engages in policies that creates lots of dependent people who are beholden to their dem masters.



  5. #205
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Government handouts DO promote a culture of entitlement and disincentive to work, or to find work.

    On the other hand, sometimes poverty is systemic and thus breeds contempt and hopelessness.

    It's not a one-sided argument.
    what things are most prevalent among the poor

    1) dropping out of HS before earning a diploma

    2) doing drugs are co-habitating with drug abusers and dealers

    3) breeding before getting married

    avoiding those three things don't require the rich to pay more taxes or society to fund the poor.



  6. #206
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what things are most prevalent among the poor

    1) dropping out of HS before earning a diploma

    2) doing drugs are co-habitating with drug abusers and dealers

    3) breeding before getting married

    avoiding those three things don't require the rich to pay more taxes or society to fund the poor.
    I'd say that:

    1. Eating

    2. Using utilities

    3. Renting

    Are things poor people do more often, that often do require rich people to pay taxes so they can afford it, otherwise their standard of living can drop rather sharply.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  7. #207
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what things are most prevalent among the poor

    1) dropping out of HS before earning a diploma

    2) doing drugs are co-habitating with drug abusers and dealers

    3) breeding before getting married

    avoiding those three things don't require the rich to pay more taxes or society to fund the poor.
    Holy class warfare!
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #208
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I agree, poverty was perpetuated long before social welfare - it's not the problem. I think I would switch hatred and intolerance with indifference and intolerance. But yeah, an education system that adequately addresses the unique learning barriers that poor students bring with them would be the best way to tackle poverty.
    What learning barriers? Mayor Snorkum was the poorest child in his public school class, and he had no difficulty learning, except that the teachers weren't very bright, in comparison, by the time he got to high school.

    Since the Mayor was able to overcome his environmental handicaps without the blessed hand of the Socialist Elites, others can do it, too. And they'll do it better for having done it themselves. As for the others, the nation has a perpetual need for unskilled labor, no reason to be allowing the exploitation of invaders from Mexico when we're growing our own American strawberry pickers.

    Children who do not wish to pick strawberries for a living should pay attention in school.

  9. #209
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I'd say that:

    1. Eating

    2. Using utilities

    3. Renting

    Are things poor people do more often, that often do require rich people to pay taxes so they can afford it, otherwise their standard of living can drop rather sharply.
    that's a silly response-care to try to be serious?



  10. #210
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Holy class warfare!
    HOw is that class warfare? its not the fault of the rich republicans that the poor breed before marriage at far higher rates than successful people or do drugs or drop out of HS

    the point is-much poverty could be erased if people didn't engage in obviously destructive behavior that provides no benefits anyway

    and we should make it far more painful for those who do



Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •