View Poll Results: Do you agree with Obama?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I agree.

    39 32.77%
  • No, I disagree.

    80 67.23%
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 305

Thread: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social programs?

  1. #181
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    You're right, but where do the majority come from.



    To be honest, a fair amount of them only really require no criminal record. They won't make you rich, but they'll make you middle class.



    www.usajobs.gov

    State Department likes history majors (I'm a history major)



    I'd start with the job....the girls will come.
    Well if there's any reason to be a proud Marylander, we do produce some real ballers.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #182
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    that is all they can do in this thread or the other... interpret. They have one track minds.
    That's how language works. This is why two different people read the same words and reach two different conclusions. Though it is quite clear in the other thread that you guys are completely misreading his comments.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #183
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    Apparently neither he nor Michelle Obama were proud of their country then. Sad.
    Does pride stem for action, or just being our side? I still think there is bit of national esteem involved in this constant need some have to hear praise for the nation.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #184
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Were we not a "great country" before 1965? I find the statement rather ridiculous.

    It's as if without medicare and medicaid we're left to shoo our seniors out of our homes to be eaten by bears.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Does pride stem for action, or just being our side? I still think there is bit of national esteem involved in this constant need some have to hear praise for the nation.
    I've been proud of my country my entire life. Sometimes less proud than others, but it's always been there. It didn't start at a certain point in my adult life.

  6. #186
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    that is all they can do in this thread or the other... interpret. They have one track minds.
    That's what humans do, we hear the same words, but our minds interpret them based upon our biases and situations. Take the words "f*** You", they can be said in different ways and different situations. They can be words of hate or words of friendship. We are humans beings, not computes which is what you seem to want to make us.
    If you want to take Michelle Obama's words in a literal sense (computer) that's fine with me, just don't expect everyone to agree with you.


  7. #187
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    No, America was a great country before they were introduced, his statement is ignorant of history.
    I read his statement as being about now. We are a great country now because of those programs he mentioned.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #188
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    What, specifically, about not introducing social programs would have caused Americas greatness to suddenly disappear?
    First off, Obama mentions several specific programs, not social programs in general. Also note that it depends on what "greatness" you are talking about. Greatest super power, probably we would still be. Great in terms of a great place to live, not as much.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #189
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No other option? I agree to a certain extent that being able to help those in need does make us as a nation great. Unfortunately the fraud, red tape etc make it a wasteful corrupt system that makes people dependent.

    None of the programs are working as intended. As a fall back in case of hard times. People have changed it into something it was never meant to be, a lifestyle.
    And yet Medicare for example has more money spent on the program go to actual health care than private insurance companies. They are not perfect, but fraud, waste and corruption are not particular to government programs.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #190
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,530

    Re: Do you agree with Obama that we wouldn't be a great country without social progra

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And yet Medicare for example has more money spent on the program go to actual health care than private insurance companies.
    So what? Has nothing to do with my statement. Private company's are not using our tax dollars either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    They are not perfect, but fraud, waste and corruption are not particular to government programs.
    I am talking about all social programs in particular. Private programs that are wasteful etc do NOT cost us tax money.

    Apples and oranges for this particular argument.

    You mite want to look at the context of what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •