View Poll Results: What is the Tea Party to America?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good!

    42 48.84%
  • Good but Looney

    6 6.98%
  • Neutral.... no harm and no good

    2 2.33%
  • Negative and Looney

    24 27.91%
  • Flat out Disgusting!

    2 2.33%
  • People that are Very secure financially that dont understand reality!

    5 5.81%
  • I make love to the Papaya!

    5 5.81%
Page 78 of 81 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 802

Thread: The Tea Party Is.....

  1. #771
    User 2K05GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    09-16-11 @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    71

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    I'd say the low count of blacks they elect to Congress is a pretty good indication.
    I am a minority and Conservative, I have black friends that are conservative but would never run for office, not because their afraid that Republicans would not vote for them they are afraid of the black community calling them names, or throwing oreo cookies at them (Michael Steel incident) calling then uncle toms you name it, they even keep their political views in check when around democratic friends as do I, Yes I am afraid of my minority brothers looking at me like have two heads when I say I voted Republican or that I am a fiscal conservative. This is the real issue why republicans can't enlist more minority or black candidates. the Democrats are masters of demagoguery.

  2. #772
    User 2K05GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    09-16-11 @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    71

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Black conservative tea party backers take heat

    ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) By VALERIE BAUMAN
    Associated Press Writer
    - They've been called Oreos, traitors and Uncle Toms, and are used to having to defend their values. Now black conservatives are really taking heat for their involvement in the mostly white tea party movement—and for having the audacity to oppose the policies of the nation's first black president.
    "I've been told I hate myself. I've been called an Uncle Tom. I've been told I'm a spook at the door," said Timothy F. Johnson, chairman of the Frederick Douglass Foundation, a group of black conservatives who support free market principles and limited government.

    "Black Republicans find themselves always having to prove who they are. Because the assumption is the Republican Party is for whites and the Democratic Party is for blacks," he said.

    Johnson and other black conservatives say they were drawn to the tea party movement because of what they consider its commonsense fiscal values of controlled spending, less taxes and smaller government. The fact that they're black—or that most tea partyers are white—should have nothing to do with it, they say.

    "You have to be honest and true to yourself. What am I supposed to do, vote Democratic just to be popular? Just to fit in?" asked Clifton Bazar, a 45-year-old New Jersey freelance photographer and conservative blogger.

    Opponents have branded the tea party as a group of racists hiding behind economic concerns—and reports that some tea partyers were lobbing racist slurs at black congressmen during last month's heated health care vote give them ammunition.

    But these black conservatives don't consider racism representative of the movement as a whole—or race a reason to support it.

    Angela McGlowan, a black congressional candidate from Mississippi, said her tea party involvement is "not about a black or white issue."

    "It's not even about Republican or Democrat, from my standpoint," she told The Associated Press. "All of us are taxed too much."

    Still, she's in the minority. As a nascent grassroots movement with no registration or formal structure, there are no racial demographics available for the tea party movement; it's believed to include only a small number of blacks and Hispanics.

    Some black conservatives credit President Barack Obama's election—and their distaste for his policies—with inspiring them and motivating dozens of black Republicans to plan political runs in November.

    For black candidates like McGlowan, tea party events are a way to reach out to voters of all races with her conservative message.

    "I'm so proud to be a part of this movement! I want to tell you that a lot of people underestimate you guys," the former national political commentator for Fox News told the cheering crowd at a tea party rally in Nashville, Tenn., in February.

    Tea party voters represent a new model for these black conservatives—away from the black, liberal Democratic base located primarily in cities, and toward a black and white conservative base that extends into the suburbs.

    Black voters have overwhelmingly backed Democratic candidates, support that has only grown in recent years. In 2004, presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry won 88 percent of the black vote; four years later, 95 percent of black voters cast ballots for Obama.

    Black conservatives don't want to have to apologize for their divergent views.

    "I've gotten the statement, 'How can you not support the brother?'" said David Webb, an organizer of New York City's Tea Party 365, Inc. movement and a conservative radio personality.

    Since Obama's election, Webb said some black conservatives have even resorted to hiding their political views.

    "I know of people who would play the (liberal) role publicly, but have their private opinions," he said. "They don't agree with the policy but they have to work, live and exist in the community ... Why can't we speak openly and honestly if we disagree?"

    Among the 37 black Republicans running for U.S. House and Senate seats in November is Charles Lollar of Maryland's 5th District.

    A tea party supporter running against House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., Lollar says he's finding support in unexpected places.

    The 38-year-old U.S. Marine Corps reservist recently walked into a bar in southern Maryland decorated with a Confederate flag. It gave his wife Rosha pause.

    "I said, 'You know what, honey? Many, many of our Southern citizens came together under that flag for the purpose of keeping their family and their state together,'" Lollar recalled. "The flag is not what you're to fear. It's the stupidity behind the flag that is a problem. I don't think we'll find that in here. Let's go ahead in."

    Once inside, they were treated to a pig roast, a motorcycle rally—and presented with $5,000 in contributions for his campaign.

    McGlowan, one of three GOP candidates in north Mississippi's 1st District primary, seeks a seat held since 2008 by Democrat Travis Childers. The National Republican Congressional Committee has supported Alan Nunnelee, chairman of the state Senate Appropriations Committee, who is also pursuing tea party voters.

    McGlowan believes the tea party movement has been unfairly portrayed as monolithically white, male and middle-aged, though she acknowledged blacks and Hispanics are a minority at most events.

    Racist protest signs at some tea party rallies and recent reports by U.S. Reps. John Lewis, D-Ga., and Barney Frank, D-Mass., that tea partyers shouted racial and anti-gay slurs at them have raised allegations of racism in the tea party movement.

    Black members of the movement say it is not inherently racist, and some question the reported slurs. "You would think—something that offensive—you would think someone got video of it," Bazar, the conservative blogger, said.

    "Just because you have one nut case, it doesn't automatically equate that you've got an organization that espouses (racism) as a sane belief," Johnson said.

    Hilary Shelton, director of the Washington bureau of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, suggested a bit of caution.

    "I'm sure the reason that (black conservatives) are involved is that from an ideological perspective, they agree," said Shelton. "But when those kinds of things happen, it is very important to be careful of the company that you keep."
    Nugent/Norris 2012
    Left vs Right, like two retards fighting it out over whom is more retarded.

  3. #773
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post

    I am a minority and Conservative, I have black friends that are conservative but would never run for office, not because their afraid that Republicans would not vote for them they are afraid of the black community calling them names, or throwing oreo cookies at them (Michael Steel incident) calling then uncle toms you name it, they even keep their political views in check when around democratic friends as do I, Yes I am afraid of my minority brothers looking at me like have two heads when I say I voted Republican or that I am a fiscal conservative. This is the real issue why republicans can't enlist more minority or black candidates. the Democrats are masters of demagoguery.
    Black Republicans run for office, even if the ones you know don't. In the last election, 32 blacks ran as Republicans -- two got elected. Those would also be the only 2 black Republicans in all of Congress and only the 5th and 6th black Republican since 1900.

    Conservatives and Republicans don't like electing blacks.

    You can invent any excuse you want -- history speaks louder than excuses.

  4. #774
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    If you see socialist everywhere, you are extreme, if not a little paranoid as well.
    If you aren't seeing them you are blind and deaf. They are starting to voluntarily come out from under their rocks.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  5. #775
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Did you miss the article links which gave the crowd estimates or is this some feeble attempt at sarcasm?

    When I gave my crowd estimate to several people at the capitol today - including one veteran capitol police officer - they all said I was way too high in my estimate. It looks like the largest paper in the state also finds fault with my estimate

    Tea party members attack plans for new Detroit bridge, taxes during Lansing rally | Detroit Free Press | freep.com



    I guess I should stick to politics and leave the crowd estimations to the professionals. Apologies for the earlier numbers.
    Why? Do you trust a newspaper over your own eyes? Didn't you say judging from the ground covered by people, the tea party was about a third of the size as the Union protesters?
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  6. #776
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    tea party report Lansing Michigan part 2

    A very nice lady sold me a souvenier which was kind of clever - a box of tea party tea. She was doing a brisk business and had sold all but her final box and told me I could have it at half price so I jumped at since I collect political stuff.

    One fellow gave me a clever thing - it was a parody on the old Norman Rockwell 'triple self portrait' painting. This one has Obama as Rockwell looking into the same Rockwell mirror and painting a picture of Jesus on canvas. Got to admit that the tea party is upping its game and this was much much cleverer than the Curios George with Obama stickers that some used back in the McCain/Palin campaign.

    This was a very short rally - from start to finish only 90 minutes. The union one yesterday with lots more participation lasted seven hours. Most of them at least three or four hours.

    When the crowd broke up, almost everyone used the various sidewalks and would not walk on the grass. I do not know what that says about them - if anything - but thats rare here as the lawn takes a terrific beating on these events.

    Lets hope those pics come out. Lots of what I feel will be good ones.

    Haymarket! I can't believe it! You didn't even mention that Herman Cain was there to speak! You missed a chance to shake hands with the next president of the United States! You're going to regret that someday
    It's a shame it wasn't a larger crowd though. Could be because he very seldom gets any media coverage for some reason.
    Here's the tea party rally and Cains speech. At the 11:00 minute mark he talks about how the tea party is called the racist name, but he has a whole list of names he is called and he keeps adding to it each time they come up with a new one.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  7. #777
    User 2K05GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    09-16-11 @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    71

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Black Republicans run for office, even if the ones you know don't. In the last election, 32 blacks ran as Republicans -- two got elected. Those would also be the only 2 black Republicans in all of Congress and only the 5th and 6th black Republican since 1900.

    Conservatives and Republicans don't like electing blacks.

    You can invent any excuse you want -- history speaks louder than excuses.
    Not sure where you get you speculations, but I and my conservative / republican friends do not see Race as a factor, I would never vote for a person because of race, only qualifications. I am Cuban, when I lived in Miami I skipped over cuban candidates because they did not meet the level of qualifications for that office in my eyes. I REFUSE to interject Race in any decision I make. That is racist even if I voted for a Latino candidate just because he was Latino.

    Most of those "Black Candidates" were running against Democratic Incumbent in strong democratic districts. Like Chicago’s Second Congressional District, for example, Jesse Jackson Jr. won with 90 percent of the vote, Isaac Hayes, a conservative black Republican never had a chance because of the Black Community Stigma. I say this because mosts blacks are Ideologicly moderate to conservative yet they vote democrat.

    Indian-American Nikki Haley won the governorship in South Carolina, becoming both that state’s first female and first minority governor, and the nation’s second Indian-American governor (the other being Republican Bobby Jindal in Louisiana). Tim Scott, a black conservative Republican, won his race for the U.S. House in SC-1, a district which is over 70% white. Allen West, a black conservative Republican and military veteran, won in FL-22. Marco Rubio, the son of Cuban immigrants,

    In Texas, conservative Hispanic Republicans. Bill Flores in TX-17 and Francisco “Quico” Canseco in TX-23. both won in historicly democratic districts, Farther down the ballot in Texas, minority Republicans made substantial gains in the Texas House of Representatives. Larry Gonzales won in central Texas’ HD-52; Jose Aliseda won in a surprising upset in HD-35; John Garza won in HD-117; James White, who is black, defeated Democratic incumbent Jim McReynolds in HD-12 in northeast Texas; and Stefani Carter, who is also black, defeated Democratic incumbent Carol Kent in HD-102. On the State Board of Education, Charlie Garza defeated Rene Nunez in west Texas’ SBOE Place 1. All of these seats represent pick-ups for the GOP and for minority Republicans. For years, Democrats in Texas have pinned their hopes of a return to power on holding onto the black vote and capturing an increasing share of the Hispanic vote. The 2010elections show that the first line could be cracking, and the second may be a fading possibility.

    New Mexico has replaced its Democratic governor, Bill Richards, with native Texan and conservative Republican Susana Martinez. Martinez is New Mexico’s first female governor, and the first female Hispanic governor anywhere. That she ran on the issue of border security, and won, speaks volumes.

    I think that if the republicans can field more black and minority candidates in more white districts, you will be bigger gains. You see; so many people BELIEVE like you do that republicans won't vote for a black or minority candidates, where in reality Democrats in democratic districts will not vote for a black republican. Again I CAN CARE LESS ABOUT the race of a candidate, He just needs to meet my qualifications of a fiscal conservative. Thats what happened to the 30 blacks Republicans that lost, they were up against a Democratic incumbent in a democratic district, they never had a chance.
    Last edited by 2K05GT; 04-16-11 at 12:57 PM.
    Nugent/Norris 2012
    Left vs Right, like two retards fighting it out over whom is more retarded.

  8. #778
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Black Republicans run for office, even if the ones you know don't. In the last election, 32 blacks ran as Republicans -- two got elected. Those would also be the only 2 black Republicans in all of Congress and only the 5th and 6th black Republican since 1900.

    Conservatives and Republicans don't like electing blacks.

    You can invent any excuse you want -- history speaks louder than excuses.
    Gosh...maybe if only republicans had a Sheila Jackson Lee, Charlie Rangel, William Jefferson, a Marion Barry, or a John Conyers to vote for...

    I dont know the political races you have followed where a superior candidate was not elected simply because he or she was black. But I can point to an awful lot that WERE who's only qualification is their skin color. And you can start in the White House.

  9. #779
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    If you see socialist everywhere, you are extreme, if not a little paranoid as well.
    And if you refuse to see socialism when it's right under your nose, what does that make you?


  10. #780
    Advisor Blue Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    01-21-15 @ 06:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    426

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Going back to OP. People who feel Taxed Enough Already do not trust the government with money. The government needs to remember that tax revenues come from our pockets. The government also needs to realize that it does not do a good job spending within its means.
    My family is more important than my party.
    -Zell Miller

Page 78 of 81 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •